Waterproof gloves-really waterproof
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof gloves-really waterproof

Waterproof gloves-really waterproof

Need help from the pros guys. After about 6 hours in drenching rain this past weekend my waterproof gloves weren't so waterproof. They've been fine in shorter rain events but not this time. As you know, heavy soaked gloves are miserable. I've been on RevZilla and other sites looking. So much stuff. I'd like your experiences and opinions for a glove that will lay with me. Actually need a warm weather type and also cold weather type. I've seen "wonder" gloves from $50 to $200. Help please.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    I have never used this product, use at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/user/homedepot?v=hoKXTlqmUb8

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom6B View Post
    I have never used this product, use at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/user/homedepot?v=hoKXTlqmUb8
    Looks like a great product ... if it works as claimed!

Toss vanity to the wind and get elephant ears.
    Dry, warm and you can put them in the saddlebag when not needed.

I got a really nice pair of Gortex winter gloves at the International Motorcycle Show and they seemed to work great!

For summer gloves, get yourself a can of that Silicone Camp Dry spray from the sporting goods section and spray them well.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

See what you made me do....

After reading your post, and the responses, I was "forced"...forced I say...to go out to my motorcycle garage and get my favorite pair of waterproof gloves, and bring one inside, so I could get the details from it, to share with you.

The brand name on these is CYCLOAK. They have GORE-TEX on the index finger, in large embroidery type, and the word KEVLAR in embroidery type on the strap that tightens around the wrist.

I have had this one pair of waterproof gloves for more than 10 years. I recently looked to buy another pair, as back-up, and because they work so well. Could not find what I wanted. These gloves are 100 % waterproof, and I have never coated them or sprayed them with anything. I consider them to be a midweight glove, as they are NOT lightweight like a summer glove, but they are also NOT super heavy weight like a cold weather Winter glove.

The tag inside says that the shell is nylong Cordura, and it says they are made in China.

If I can find another pair of these, I would buy two more pairs, as they are that good. With Heated Grips...if you have those on your bike...these gloves work VERY good in the coldest of Winters...unless you went with Gerbing Heated Gloves. These are just thin enough to allow a good Heated Grip to permeate the sheel, and warm the hand.

My normal gloves...Summer weight gloves, and custom made for me by a company in Centralia, WA., called the Churchill Glove Co. They make a LOT of the gloves we use on bikes. (those made in the USA). I was lucky to find that they are about 10 miles from my house, and I can go there in person, have them take a template of each hand, and make gloves for me.

Elephant ears are a good...old-fashioned..idea. I like them, especially in much colder weather.

But for gloves...waterproof gloves...there are many options, and few that are truly 100 % waterprrof.

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

In warm weather I don't mind my gloves/hands getting wet so I never bothered looking for water proof summer gloves.
    My cold weather waterproof gloves are Tourmaster Winter Elite II. They are also gortex like my electrafried friend from Washington mentioned. Gortex is a waterproof membrane that also breathes so your hands don't sweat and mine have stayed dry for hours in some very heavy rain. Almost all my motorcycle gear is gortex. Alpinestar Boots, Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece and AerostichTransit pants. No need for a rain suit. My really cold weather gloves are Gehrbing heated and are not waterproof but it seldom rains when I find it cold enough to wear them. Snow yes, rain no.

Trick I learned at the track from some racers is to use nitrile gloves under your leather gloves when riding in the rain. Works really well and it's cheap.

gloves

Thanks all. There's a Cycle Gear within 100 miles of me so I'm going to go there to check them out. They have a First Gear brand that looks good. I like to buy face up when possible due to fit and all. Thanks for the input. Gloves are like most our good gear in that you get what you pay for but I'll pay for quality stuff. Thanks for the extra effort and research Miles going out to the shop and all. When Miles speaks, I listen. The only thing I hate about going to that store is that I know I'll come out with a boatload of stuff.