Aftermarket front lights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket front lights

Aftermarket front lights

Last weekend I ended up riding the last 90 miles in a downpour in the dark. Normally, I don't ride after dark, but had to get home in this instance. I have stock low and hi beam lights with EC single shooters in the lower cowl. I chose the single shooters for "being seen" not for lighting up the ditches, etc. I had a difficult time seeing as I couldn't keep my hi beams on for any length of time because of on coming traffic. A deer crossed the road about 150ft in front of me as I only saw it when it crossed in front of the on coming car. What are some alternatives to get more light up front on low beams?
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I installed Hids for my lo beams from socalmotogear.com

Much brighter than stock. I am pleased with the results! Not sure if you can get more powerful fog lights though.

I installed Nokya 5000K 70W bulbs in both low and high beams,
    Not enough extra draw to harm the wiring and daylight output. They work really well and cost $25,00/pair!

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryF1 View Post
    I installed Hids for my lo beams from socalmotogear.com
    Is it this kit?
    KJ
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You need to bypass the headlight relay to the oil pressure switch because having the HIDs flicker on and off when starting will burn out the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    Is it this kit?
    That's the one!

You might also want to buy this from Electrical Connection to save your Hids.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...hid-cutout.htm

Kevin, yes, you are on the right track. The info above is all correct. As with mine, I have the HID low beams, also from SoCalMoto. The link you provided is the correct part. And, as stated above, the Low-Beam cut-out relay from Electrical Connection is a must with these HIDs.

You want to install the EC cut-out relay first, then the HID low beams.

If you want help doing this, let me know, as I have done it already. If no help needed, maybe some advice via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Kevin, yes, you are on the right track. The info above is all correct. As with mine, I have the HID low beams, also from SoCalMoto. The link you provided is the correct part. And, as stated above, the Low-Beam cut-out relay from Electrical Connection is a must with these HIDs.

If you want help doing this, let me know, as I have done it already. If no help needed, maybe some advice via PM.
    Thanks Miles. Your help would be appreciated as long as you feel well enough to do so.
    KJ
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Yeah, I have the relay, but haven't installed it yet. Where did you route the harness?
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    Yeah, I have the relay, but haven't installed it yet. Where did you route the harness?
    Terri, are you saying that you already have HID's, and have not installed the low beam cut-out relay and harness yet ?

I routed the GROUND wire (black wire) from the cut-out harness down to the oil pressure sending unit, which is at a 1:00 o'clock position above the oil filter. By grounding the cut-out relay/harness at thye oil pressure sending unit, the low beam headlights will NOT come ON until the engine has started, and the oil pressure built up enough to ground the sending unit. That is the way it is designed.

The HOT lead for that same relay/harness is connected to the UPPER...LEFT...side of the Fuse Panel, at the accessory terminal. You must use the Uppermost terminal...on the LEFT side.

The rest of the relay/harness goes in place of the low beam relay, under the seat. The instructions for that part are pretty good.