plug or replace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plug or replace

plug or replace

Rolled the black B out this eve an dang it ,flat rear.New 3000 mile on em E4s ,by the way I like these far better than the stones.so found a screw near center of tire.Thought I would ask the respected experts ,would ya or wouldn't u plug ? Thanx for any and all responses

Quote Originally Posted by Blk6bgg6 View Post
    Rolled the black B out this eve an dang it ,flat rear.New 3000 mile on em E4s ,by the way I like these far better than the stones.so found a screw near center of tire.Thought I would ask the respected experts ,would ya or wouldn't u plug ? Thanx for any and all responses
    Plug it. Back out the screw and note the orientation of it going into the tire. Run the reamer in the exact same orientation and then insert the plugging tool (with string plug) the same way. Withdraw plugging tool, cut off excess.

/thread

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It's a tuff call, but if you decide to plug it, just takes several rides at moderate speeds, and check the air pressure often. You can park the bike in a puddle, and look for tiny air bubbles, too. Nobody wants to throw out a tire with only 3000 miles, but some holes just don't plug very well. Some holes are just a slit, while others are a sizeable tear. Worth a try, I would say, but at the same time, I would be ordering another tire, just in case. Gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    It's a tuff call, but if you decide to plug it, just takes several rides at moderate speeds, and check the air pressure often. You can park the bike in a puddle, and look for tiny air bubbles, too. Nobody wants to throw out a tire with only 3000 miles, but some holes just don't plug very well. Some holes are just a slit, while others are a sizeable tear. Worth a try, I would say, but at the same time, I would be ordering another tire, just in case. Gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Good luck.
    Do not order a tire yet. When you need a tire, then order it. You want to get the freshest rubber off of the shelf. I have ordered (and stored) tires way before I actually realized I needed them... and who wants to mount a 2-3 year old tire; instead of a fresh one?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

OK, I agree that you want the freshest rubber you can get, but on the other hand, when people buy new bikes from the showroom, such as leftover 2013 F6B, they don't go home and change the tires, either. They ride those 3 year old tires, just like they don't go home and bleed the brake and clutch systems. Just an opinion.

If your like me -

Man I would always worry about that tire. Id be checking air all the time, too big a bike to have a ply broken on it. Imo - replace it.

Lightbulb

I would vote plug it. Last set of mine had 2 plugs in the rear, went 13,000 miles. No problems.

I've said this many times

Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and isn't your life worth 250 bucks. I would change that tire in a heartbeat and don't care if it had 30 miles or 3000 miles on it. We visit triple numbers on the speedo from time to time and would never trust a plugged tire. When that tire goes flat do to the cords being hurt by anything penetrating that tire it is coming off the bike at the first opportunity to do so. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    OK, I agree that you want the freshest rubber you can get, but on the other hand, when people buy new bikes from the showroom, such as leftover 2013 F6B, they don't go home and change the tires, either. They ride those 3 year old tires, just like they don't go home and bleed the brake and clutch systems. Just an opinion.
    I did. Took a little longer to get to the clutch, but it got done. Thanks to the reservoir windows it was obvious that the fluid had absorbed moisture, also the front brake felt like it might've had a bubble or two in the line.
    Regarding the plug: I'd plug it if the entry angle wasn't too far off perpendicular and the penetrating object wasn't too big. Please note, I am not a respected expert and have never had a flat on a motorcycle with tubeless tires. Patched more car tires than I can remember with never a problem. To save others the effort of posting I'll say it now - these are not car tires!
    Still, I'd patch it!

Off-topic invisible text continues below
    OT - jm21ddd15, you're digging the Elite 4s? Was gonna go double dark but don't want to leave my wife with a bike that needs new tires to sell when I kick the bucket. The Elite4 seems like the hot new longer-life tire, thinking about it.... Please post your experience as you get more miles on the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I did. Took a little longer to get to the clutch, but it got done. Thanks to the reservoir windows it was obvious that the fluid had absorbed moisture, also the front brake felt like it might've had a bubble or two in the line.
    Regarding the plug: I'd plug it if the entry angle wasn't too far off perpendicular and the penetrating object wasn't too big. Please note, I am not a respected expert and have never had a flat on a motorcycle with tubeless tires. Patched more car tires than I can remember with never a problem. To save others the effort of posting I'll say it now - these are not car tires!
    Still, I'd patch it!

Off-topic invisible text continues below
    OT - jm21ddd15, you're digging the Elite 4s? Was gonna go double dark but don't want to leave my wife with a bike that needs new tires to sell when I kick the bucket. The Elite4 seems like the hot new longer-life tire, thinking about it.... Please post your experience as you get more miles on the tires.

I agree about plugging the tire! Have done many CT and MT tires over the years without any problems. I use the method of giving the T-Handle Insertion tool 1/4 turn after inserting the plug. It "knots" the plug. Having dissected my used tires, I've seen first hand the inner tire surface and there is no way a plug would fail IMHO.