plug or replace - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: plug or replace

If your dead set on plugging the tire

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and isn't your life worth 250 bucks. I would change that tire in a heartbeat and don't care if it had 30 miles or 3000 miles on it. We visit triple numbers on the speedo from time to time and would never trust a plugged tire. When that tire goes flat do to the cords being hurt by anything penetrating that tire it is coming off the bike at the first opportunity to do so. JMHO
    At least take the time to pull it off the bike and have it patch with one of those that is a patch for inside the tire attached to a plug which is pulled thru the hole I would trust that a lot more than just sticking a plug in from the outside and betting your life on whether it would hold or not. That's for you to decide but I would never do anything with a plug or patch, new tire is the only way I would go. Again JMHO

Tire Plug Litmus Test

If tire plugs were as un-safe as some folks state they are, the manufacturers of those "plug kits" would be soon out of business. Attorneys/Barristers would be on the manufacturers like "flies on $hit" and, as is apparent, that is not the case as "plug kits" are readily available at Wally World, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA and just about any other "automotive store" one can can bring to mind.

Visiting a local Freight Liner Repair Center to purchase oil filters for my RV Cat Diesel, a display case, at the entrance to the Service/Parts area had a "heavy duty" plug repair kit for large "truck tires"! I'm sure these would never be used on any retreaded tire but are often used on new/virgin tires. These are the same tires used to transport 80K pounds of "loaded semi's" down the road

And yes, I'm aware that semi's never use recaps on the front steering wheels! Those oft seen tire retread remnants seen laying about every roadway in America are just that, recap separations and not the results of tire plugs

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Do not order a tire yet. When you need a tire, then order it. You want to get the freshest rubber off of the shelf. I have ordered (and stored) tires way before I actually realized I needed them... and who wants to mount a 2-3 year old tire; instead of a fresh one?
    So don't treat it like the first rubber carried in the wallet? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    So don't treat it like the first rubber carried in the wallet? lol
    That's a fair comparative concern

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537