plug or replace - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: plug or replace

Plug it and forget it. I ran a plug on a B-King (181 HP) and it held fine.
    Doc

1998 Suzuki GS500E (Sold)
    2001 Yamaha VS250 Virago (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki GSX1300BK B-King (Sold)
    2013 Honda GL1800BD F6B (Sold)
    2013 Honda CB500F
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
    2016 Honda GL1800

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and isn't your life worth 250 bucks. I would change that tire in a heartbeat and don't care if it had 30 miles or 3000 miles on it. We visit triple numbers on the speedo from time to time and would never trust a plugged tire. When that tire goes flat do to the cords being hurt by anything penetrating that tire it is coming off the bike at the first opportunity to do so. JMHO
    Nothing wrong with plugging a tire if it's a good candidate for it.

Let me ask you a question. You say that you live on a fixed income. Theoretically speaking; if you sustained a screw in your rear tire and replaced it, and then sustained another screw in the new tire; would you REALLY just keep on replacing them?

How much money do you got? Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away?
    Recycling has an energy/environmental cost.
    Plugging is the green way to go!

Plug it!!..Take the tire to a professional tire repair place and have it repaired properly from the inside and glued...With only 3000 miles on the thing it should take the repair just fine and no issues....After you re-mount the tire..Ride on and forget about it.....I know some are against this advise, but do what you feel comfortable about....I got a nail in the rear of my OEM tire at 9800 miles and replaced it with a new E4..So far so good....

If busted patch it

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Nothing wrong with plugging a tire if it's a good candidate for it.

Let me ask you a question. You say that you live on a fixed income. Theoretically speaking; if you sustained a screw in your rear tire and replaced it, and then sustained another screw in the new tire; would you REALLY just keep on replacing them?

How much money do you got? Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away?
    My local dealer will not plug a motorcycle tire. They will patch one. I had a patch on the rear of my vtx 1800. By the dealer. It slow leaked , big hassle. If your on a fixed income i would go for a patch. But that tire comes off the rim for that process, so for me ill put a new one on. Im only 50, (id be a classic car) and still working as a jigalo so i have income. So damm good looking. I make ten bucks a day.

People around here will not plug or patch a MC tire, but they will put in a tube. Why did people ever quit patching?
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I believed in patching 100% until.....I patched one of mine years ago, let it sit for the winter months, mounted it, and it leaked. What happened was, off the rim, the tire flattened out and the patch sat nice. Mounted and aired up, the tire rounded out and kinked the patch. Next time, I plugged the tire, it held fine, but I changed it before I had a long trip planned. I'm a plug believer now.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Patch vs. Plug

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I believed in patching 100% until.....I patched one of mine years ago, let it sit for the winter months, mounted it, and it leaked. What happened was, off the rim, the tire flattened out and the patch sat nice. Mounted and aired up, the tire rounded out and kinked the patch. Next time, I plugged the tire, it held fine, but I changed it before I had a long trip planned. I'm a plug believer now.
    I've also heard that a patch is more likely to develop a leak than a plug. As the tire heats/cools and flexes, apparently the patch can loosen, but the plug stays put.

Over the years I've ridden nearly 700,000 miles and changed at least 100 tires. I've plugged dozens of them. The worst problem I ever had was one that developed a slow leak. Those sticky string type plugs work great and develop a nice, patch-like blob inside the tire. They're also inexpensive and easy to carry along.

Yes I do fix them and run them if possible. If I'm on the road and it is a repairable hole on a tire with a lot of life left in it I use this type of plug system and have never had this system fail or leak air after a repair.
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/stop...hop-repair-kit

Now if I am at home or near my shop, I prefer to remove the tire and use a 'Stem Patch Plug' combo which comes in variable sizes. I have never had any problems with this method either.

How to do http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...otorcycle-tire

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I like these better. They are simpler, cheaper and I have never had one fail. As a matter of fact, I once plugged an extra large hole in my truck tire with TWO strings combined; to plug the hole.

Attachment 24137

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537