Zero electric bikes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero electric bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Up to 150 mile range?? That's a 75 mile ride from the house and back and the operative words are up to. I usually do that on a milk run. And remember that's based on a fully charged battery.

That brings up the question how hard is it to push?
    I suppose not to hard if ya got the right help

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    Our local police department got several of them in some kind of federal grant. The officers say they really them for urban applications, they are dead quiet and work really well zipping down sidewalks and alleys at night looking for bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Up to 150 mile range?? That's a 75 mile ride from the house and back and the operative words are up to. I usually do that on a milk run. And remember that's based on a fully charged battery.

That brings up the question how hard is it to push?
    I don't know. How hard is it to push a 900 pound motorcycle that's run out of gas, or a 1.5 ton car?

"up to" would depend on how hard you are on the throttle, or power, in this case. I haven't been keeping up to date with Zero but I remember they did offer different models with various battery configurations and types of quick charging.

Electric technology admittedly is still not fully developed by any of the current vehicle manufacturers, nor is it within the reach of the average consumer so likely you can't afford it as an experiment. I mentioned before they're not cheap.

So, IMO they're probably not for use as a primary vehicle unless you're in an urban setting but they are the best example yet of how electric technology can be applied to motorcycles.

Thanks Vstar from bringing up the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I don't know. How hard is it to push a 900 pound motorcycle that's run out of gas, or a 1.5 ton car?

"up to" would depend on how hard you are on the throttle, or power, in this case. I haven't been keeping up to date with Zero but I remember they did offer different models with various battery configurations and types of quick charging.

Electric technology admittedly is still not fully developed by any of the current vehicle manufacturers, nor is it within the reach of the average consumer so likely you can't afford it as an experiment. I mentioned before they're not cheap.

So, IMO they're probably not for use as a primary vehicle unless you're in an urban setting but they are the best example yet of how electric technology can be applied to motorcycles.

Thanks Vstar from bringing up the topic.
    They do have various modes. Sport is the highest performance, but, as you can guess, shortest range. They also have Normal and Economy IIRC. One more setting - Custom. You can program the computer with a smartphone app to tailor the performance characteristics to your liking. Electric power makes this option much easier for the manufacturer and offers more specific programming then throttle-by-wire with a gasoline engine.

We have pretty much maximized the efficiency and output of the 100+ year old internal combustion engine. It is on the cusp of being obsolete. The best it can do is to deliver about 30% of the incoming energy to power the wheels. The rest is lost.

I hope battery technology can become viable enough to support cars and motorcycles with a 1000 mile range that require charging only once or twice per month. I have already gone to a battery powered weedwacker and soon a lawnmower (for limited use).
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6