self-cancelling turn signals - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: self-cancelling turn signals

Only on the Deluxe...

In 2015 the Self Cancelling Turn Signals were only provided on the Deluxe Model, not the Standard.

Attachment 24220

That could be I guess but the Honda parts site shows all models of the GL1800 in 2013 having the cancelling switch, unless it's a generic picture. I can't argue it as I don't have one to look at...........
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    That could be I guess but the Honda parts site shows all models of the GL1800 in 2013 having the cancelling switch, unless it's a generic picture. I can't argue it as I don't have one to look at...........
    Cruise Control, Self Cancelling Turn Signals, Adjustable Windscreen, Center Stand, Heated Grips, Passenger Backrest and Reverse Gear are just a few things cut from the Full Wing to make the F6B.
    Some of them (like the Turn Signals, Heated Grips, Passenger Backrest and a Center Stand) return to you by purchasing the "Deluxe" option. Go figure.

The 2013 F6B that I rode for a day had the Self Cancelling Turn Signals... Love 'em.
    Don't understand why they are not standard on every bike since their creation decades ago.
    It's a safety concern in my book.

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Don't understand why they are not standard on every bike since their creation decades ago.
    It's a safety concern in my book.
    Same applies to ABS, which is mandatory pretty much everywhere in the world, except the US. So American Honda chooses to omit this important safety feature to cut costs. It's almost like someone installing cheaper Takata airbags in a car. Oh wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Same applies to ABS, which is mandatory pretty much everywhere in the world, except the US. So American Honda chooses to omit this important safety feature to cut costs. It's almost like someone installing cheaper Takata airbags in a car. Oh wait ...
    Yup, I recently discovered that the same F6B in Canada has ABS standard.
    Whats up with that?

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Yup, I recently discovered that the same F6B in Canada has ABS standard.
    Whats up with that?
    Every GoldWing also comes standard with ABS in Japan, Australia, all over Europe and everywhere else, except the USA, AFAIK. American Honda is penny-wise and pound-foolish, especially in a country as saturated (contaminated?) with personal injury lawyers. One death or disability blamed on criminal negligence due to the absence of ABS on a 900-lb motorcycle and all of American Honda's gains will be wiped out.

I really did consider importing an F6B from Canada, just for the ABS – the best bike, made even better! But it's probably very paperwork-intensive in California, if Sacramento will even allow it. If someone wants a new 2017 F6B though, it looks like Canada will now be the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Sometimes it is a real pain having them turn off before you want them to. I have got in the habit of "reactivating" them but also found out that if your on the brakes or have the clutch pulled they don't turn off.
    Not sure where you got that information.....but at least on my '15 Deluxe, the position of the clutch and either brake lever have no affect of any sort on my self-canceling turn signals. They still shut off as per the manual.

HOWEVER, (with only one exception) every bike I have owned (with model years of 1978 and later) all have had self-canceling turn signals. Yamaha, for example, has made them standard equipment ever since the 1977 XS750. I was absolutely floored when the dealer told me that a Goldwing (....a GOLDWING!!!!! ) only had them as a model upgrade. And....that went as well for a centre stand. (I thought the fellow was pulling my leg. Even the 1940 Indian Four and the 1959 Matchless G80 which my late father left me BOTH had centre stands...as did EVERY bike I've ever owned since my first in 1970. That it is now only as an upgrade says more about Honda than I think they want it to.)

Anyway....with each later year, the self-canceling system has gotten incrementally better...but they are still, even today, not perfect. One thing that has stayed consistent is that, with each press of the turn signal lever, the canceling system is reset. So, I have just gotten into the habit of hitting the turn signal as early as I like.....and then hitting it again about halfway to the turn. The system continues to flash...and the cutoff timers reset and therefore the flasher lasts all the way through the turn.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

If you want to add self cancelling turn signals check this article:

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/m...celing-signals
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden