Michelin Tires?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Tires?

Michelin Tires?

OK guys, I've tried to search this but no joy.
    Has anyone tried the Michelin Commander II on the "B"? They make a front tire that is the proper size and a rear that is the correct cross section but is a "65" instead of a "60". This makes the rear tire very slightly taller than the OEM. Also, the Michelins are Bias ply as opposed to Radials that come on the "B". It's been so long since I've had a Bias ply tire that I almost forgot they still were made. These Michelins get pretty good reviews from owners of other brands of big bikes but no Wings or "B's" that I saw.

Anyone here have/had them?

Almost 20 hours and 68 views with NO resposes? Interesting.

Well, I think you would get better service, generally, from a tire designed and built for a Wing. I apologize in advance to all you darksiders out there.

If I recall correctly, Michelin made a tire for the Wing 1800's and they took it off the market. They don't make a tire for our bikes. They do make great tires for sport and sporttouring bikes, however. Cruiser tires, too.

Go to the new Dunlop E-4's and forget the other brands...These tires have received great reports so far on this site and I have not had issues with the ones on my F6B at all....Great tires for the F6B....Ride safe

I put a rear on 1800 miles on it looks like new, feels better than stock Tire cost me 213 mounted have not had it in rain
    It hooks harder and has not spun like stock Tire done few time

Why go with a tire that was not made for our ride.As said here there are a lot of brands to choose from that work well and have good feedback here.E4's or the Metzler 888's have worked for many here.I have 5K on the Metzler's and they are wearing well,quiet and hug the road great in all conditions.E4's are getting the same feedback and may prove out to give the best mileage-only time will tell.Plus there is Darkside but I will not comment on that as I am not really a fan but many here are.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Why go with a tire that was not made for our ride.As said here there are a lot of brands to choose from that work well and have good feedback here.E4's or the Metzler 888's have worked for many here.I have 5K on the Metzler's and they are wearing well,quiet and hug the road great in all conditions.E4's are getting the same feedback and may prove out to give the best mileage-only time will tell.Plus there is Darkside but I will not comment on that as I am not really a fan but many here are.
    I'm not necessarily going with anything right now. I still have some miles left in the OEM 'Stones but just doing some advance research. I'm not saying that I wouldn't get another set of Bridgestones either. I'm getting decent miles out of them(almost 14,000 so far) and the ride and handling suit me OK. Just looking ahead.

Breathing life back into this thread concerning running the Michelin Commander II bias ply tire on the F6B. I've looked back at older threads on the site but haven't seen anything that specifically addresses my concern. I was at the Hell's Canyon Rally in Baker City, Oregon and wore the rear OEM Stone to the threads after a few days running curves in 96F temps. Tire was shot at 13,000 miles which caught me by surprise as I've been careful to keep rear pressure at 40 psi. I really thought I'd get home to Alberta before needing to replace it. I had no other option but to put a Commander II on the rear. I grabbed the last one a vendor at the rally had ($$) as I wasn't about to risk running the worn tire on the interstate to get to a bigger town where more tire options would be available.

So the question. I'm pondering putting the OEM-sized Commander II on the front now for a match but I'm a bit unsure whether going to full bias-ply setup on a bike designed for radials is the best idea. Have friends running the Commander II on Victory bikes who speak highly of them and they rate really well in reviews for handling and longevity, My only concern is the bias setup and the fact the rear isn't a perfect size match to OEM (aspect ratio 5 mm higher). It also seems like a 'rounder' profile tire too compared to the OEM Stones if that makes sense. I noticed the bike wanted to stand up a bit sooner when leaned over in curves with the Commander on the rear. Nothing serious but different. I did read a comment on a Goldwing forum stating going bias-ply is a bad idea as the bead seal with a bias tire on our rims will not seat correctly.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cheers.

No difference in bead seats, hasn't been for a long time. It's the way the plys are laid up that's different between the two. Bias should make for a slightly stiffer ride. Mixing and matching? Your choice, whatever you're comfy with. Oh, and a taller tire is ok, it'll take some of the speedo error out.

Indian is factory installing a bias front & radial rear on the limited. My buddy has a RM he's biased up front & radial on rear. He did The same on a Vulcan. The bias won't cup & wear funny like a radial.

Mike

Cool

SixtoGo, Sorry for the delay and getting an answer. I believe the reason was because no one could answer the question! Except for the member above that got "stuck" putting on a Michelin tire no one on this board I am aware of have tried the brand. Currently the E-4's is the tire I run and most are happy with. The OEMS were great tires as well.
    As always make sure the tire you are looking for can handle the weight of the big girl and you should be fine.

IMHO, not sure I would run a mixed set of tires..just call me old school. Now I do run a Dunlap E-4 on the front and a Dunlap snow tire on the back !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com