Have you ever drilled a hole... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever drilled a hole...

Quote Originally Posted by pitcherd View Post
    I would not be able to drill in to the painted plastic of my bike without crying the whole time. I was scared enough when I had to take the saddle bags apart to put the passenger backrest on.
    Yes... it's like measure 10 times and then drill once... still did not result in favorable expectations in my case. I'm not giving up though... need to either continue to pursue it before I decide to put that seat back on; or bag it and call it a day. Out of all the disassembly I recently did to my bike... I dread reinstalling the seat the most, even with the tapered seat mounting bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Let me get this right you've got hot wires going to an area where your regularly spilling gas?? Sounds to me like a planned terrorist attack.
    Yes... that can be a little nerving. I thought of that. But the connection is made outside of that area... the power leads themselves are well insulated underneath in that area. And I haven't (yet) spilled any gas in there...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

I could compromise the integrity of the gas tank catch tray by drilling a hole in the side of it; for the cable to route through... but elect not to do that.
    I don't see a problem with drilling a hole in the gas tank catch tray. Just my .02.
    Albuquerque, NM

How did you route the power plug cables out from the gas tank spill tray structure underneath? Did you drill holes through the sides of that interior structure for the power cables underneath?

If I remember, I was able to run the wires up inside the fuel tray without cutting, but the job was done when I had the bike torn down for the Heated Grip install so all the covers were off the bike.

As for the 12 volts in the Fuel Cap area, I see no problem.
    1) all electrical connections under the cover are heat shrink sealed and no reason to spark as they are mounted to a plastic cover.
    2) the bike is never fueled while running nor am I ever sitting on the seat which means the gear gets disconnected when I get off and the ignition is always off.
    3) Seldom do I ever feel the need to top the tank off or try to get ever drop in, so spillage is basically non existent.
    4) Due to the nature of the "hardwired" Gerbing Controllers that I have, when power is shut off (as with turn off the ignition) when the ignition is turned back on the Controllers have to be shut off and turned back on before power is sent to the jack. So there is no power at the jack when I plug in the gear until I turn on the Controller once the bike is running.

BUT I do understand your point and actually spent much time over-thinking the install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Plug it and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Plug it and call it a day
    Buy a new panel.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Don't make me come there and fix your schiznit.

These folks have good plugs.

http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs?g...FYsvgQoddeAGAQ
    Thanks Sto! I bookmarked this site for future screwups.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Just thought I'd throw my $.02 in and share the approach i took…found this "heavy duty" style connector with spring loaded weather proof cover. Installation was easy! Drilled hole into left side panel (a little less conspicuous) and wired up directly to the battery. The connector from my heated gear (I use a wireless setup for jacket and gloves requiring only one power connection for both) drops down from the left, front side of the jacked, drapes down the left side of the seat (just inside of my left thigh) and into the power connection. Works like a champ!

This is my approach, works well for heated clothes or battery tender.

How did you route the power plug cables out from the gas tank spill tray structure underneath? Did you drill holes through the sides of that interior structure for the power cables underneath?
    Will
    I know we have all tried everything to make installing our seat easier, but have you
    tried putting a screw driver in all the holes first to line up all the bolts.
    Maybe mine is just easier than yours.
    shortleg

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Will
    I know we have all tried everything to make installing our seat easier, but have you
    tried putting a screw driver in all the holes first to line up all the bolts.
    Maybe mine is just easier than yours.
    shortleg
    Yes, I've done that before...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537