Rented an Indian Chieftain

Thread: Rented an Indian Chieftain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rented an Indian Chieftain

I'm in Dallas for a conference and had some free time this afternoon, so I arranged to rent a 2014 Chieftain to check out North Texas.

I rode about 150 miles over 4 hours.

It took me awhile to get used to the controls , true cruiser seating position, and the cruiser handling traits. Riding this bike confirms to me that the F6B is not a true cruiser or bagger, JMO.

Impressions:

Power - plenty available but our Hondas would run away from it in any race. The big Vtwin has gobs of power down low and I love that attribute ... in too high of a gear, but just roll the throttle on at 1200 rpm and there's just ample "push". Not blistering, just a nice shove. I pulled over on a 75 mph interstate to check my map and this bike had enough acceleration to pull out into traffic and get up to traffic speed within 500 ft or so.

Comfort - this is the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever ridden, hands down. Expansive leg room, great factory seat and good placement of controls (except cruise). I only stopped a couple of times and never got sore. Again, this seat and riding position was awesome.

Ride - beyond plush. Rear shock is especially good. Bridge joints and RR tracks 100% absorbed...not exaggerating...I literally did not feel them. Don't know how they engineered it so well. Suspension is tuned very soft compared to F6B...this bike will wallow over heaves and dips like an old Lincoln. I loved the ride but it's not fit everyone.

Noise/vibration - not sure how Indian did it but they engineered out 99% of the vibration from this engine. A quiet ride except drivetrain noise that is easily drowned out by radio. Factory exhaust is a lot louder than metric cruisers. No vibration even at 80 mph .

Handling - took awhile to get used to. F6B much more nimble and I feel safer on the Honda. I feel like I can throw the big semi Wing around fairly easily. Riding a cruiser takes more planning and rider inputs. The fairing makes the steering heavier. The extended fork angle is not reassuring on uneven pavement which there is a lot of in the Dallas area. I had it down pretty good after some curves and small space maneuvers. The Indian handles better than my VStars but not in the same realm as F6B.

Shifting - butter smooth except funding neutral. 1st and 2nd clunk loudly but still smooth. Honda clutch much better. Love having six speeds but lots of downshifting! 3000 rpm @ 80 mph.

Brakes - not confidence inspiring. Glad there's ABS because they seem hard to regulate. I much prefer linked brakes. Never got used to the auto-style rear pedal.

Features - The Chieftain sets the standard. Fob start, no key; remote locking bags; cruise; Bluetooth; info laden gauge and instrument package . Electric windshield is awesome - way better than I thought. Adjusted it for rain, wind, traffic multiple times for comfort.

I really, really liked this bike. Looks are a little gaudy but everything else made up for it. If I was in the market I would out this bike #1 on my list.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Spectacular review......much more positive than I would have thought.

tink

Thanks. I'm still caught up in what a pleasant experience it was spending four hours on this bike.

The F6B is like a BMW 7 series.
    The Chieftain is like a Cadillac DeVille.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks. I'm still caught up in what a pleasant experience it was spending four hours on this bike.

The F6B is like a BMW 7 series.
    The Chieftain is like a Cadillac DeVille.
    Nice review.

Once correction though: The F6B is like a BMW 7 series after somebody stole all of the electronics and installed a stereo system from a 1985 Toyota corolla.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Nice review.

Once correction though: The F6B is like a BMW 7 series after somebody stole all of the electronics and installed a stereo system from a 1985 Toyota corolla.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Nice review.

Great point!

Yeah, hate to say it, but the Indian is light years ahead of the F6B in creature comforts and tech. The info screen can even show both the artist and song! And the outside temp without having to push a button!

Attachment 24383
    My ugly self
    Attachment 24381
    Lake Ray Roberts, 40 miles north of Dallas. Highway goes over dam.

Attachment 24382
    Lake Ray Roberts from boat ramp.

Something else I wanted to mention...the handgrips on the Indian are very comfortable and well designed. The throttle by wire system makes holding speed effortless but it is not as responsive as a cable throttle.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

One more thing....cruise control...significantly underrated.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6