For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter

For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter

I saw a thread about using higher octane fuels and the benefits or lack thereof. It got me to thinking about the issue of storing our bikes for winter with fuel containing ethanol so I have done some research. It seems that the only fuel we can buy in Canada without ethanol is the Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline. Here is a link to their FAQ page: http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html

According to PURE-GAS.ORG, in Ontario, Canada we can also get it as Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91 which I will presume means it is Shell gas in their pumps.

I am not a big fan of paying extra for unneeded higher octane but big spender that I am I will be laying out the extra couple of dollars to have ethanol free fuel in my bike while it is stored for the winter. I will also be adding a fuel stabilizer to ensure that I do everything that I can do for a trouble free return to the roads in spring.

Our American friends have far more choices.

Attachment 24541
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Cool

As long as you add fuel stabilizer ( to your regular gas ) you will be fine. Sucks you guys have to start talking about parking your scoots till spring!!!

Battery tender, fill gas tank up to the neck , check tires for pressure ( or deflate some if lifting off the ground...my preferred method ) and cover with a cover inside if possible and set traps for mice..... JMHO
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Ethanol

Since ethanol attracts water, I'd opt for pure gasoline if I were storing any vehicle for several months. It might cost more, but adding a stabilizer costs something too, so the difference in probably insignificant.

It's also a good idea to fill the tank completely. That leaves less surface area of fuel in contact with the moisture-laden atmosphere, slowing the absorption of water by the fuel.

The problem is real. I have an old BMW airhead that sat for a year. When I pulled the carburetor bowls there were very obvious blobs of water floating around.

One advantage we have is the fact that our bikes are fuel injected which makes the fuel system air tight, which will keep most short term storage issues down to a minimum. Another is we have plastic fuel tanks. The old thought of keeping your tank full was so that the tank would not rust is not an issue with a plastic tank. Sooo you can either run the tank down low for storage and in the spring fill it then with fresh fuel, or fill it to the top now and add a good fuel treatment such as Startron or Marine Grade Stabil (Blue Not that red stuff).
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Good info

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    One advantage we have is the fact that our bikes are fuel injected which makes the fuel system air tight, which will keep most short term storage issues down to a minimum. Another is we have plastic fuel tanks. The old thought of keeping your tank full was so that the tank would not rust is not an issue with a plastic tank. Sooo you can either run the tank down low for storage and in the spring fill it then with fresh fuel, or fill it to the top now and add a good fuel treatment such as Startron or Marine Grade Stabil (Blue Not that red stuff).
    I was reading the thread with interest. As I live in Dallas, I don't have to worry about winter storage, so I had never heard of the filling the tank up with gas to store. That seems counter intuitive, but the reasons given make sense. Good to know the plastic tank prevents the need. If I had to store a bike for a while, I'd prefer to have as little fuel in it as possible. Good stuff. I appreciate the insight.

Would something like Sea Foam work for stabilizing fuel for storage, or is that more of a cleaner?

Hey Terry . . . filled my B up to the brim with Shell V-Power 91 octane on Sunday on my way home from a 350 km final ride of the 2016 season (although I always run 87 octane during the rest of the season, as recommended). Today a bit of snow in Calgary so think I timed it well as the curtain has definitely dropped on our southern Alberta riding season. I personally have always used Seafoam in my fuel for winter storage, as I know a lot of others on this board do as well. You can also drop a little Seafoam in the oil and, if you have the time and the inclination, a medicine dropper full of oil in the spark plug cylinders is also a good idea (this is mentioned in the owner's manual in winter storage section).

Here's a pic from the final ride with the front range of the Rockies over our shoulders and sun at our backs; accompanied by my riding buds on a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 with 200,000 kms on the clock and a 2011 Victory Cross Country with 97,000 kms.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Okay . . . that's interesting. I had no idea about the plastic tank. Still, given the deep freeze and sudden thaw cycles we experience in this neck of the woods, I'd lean toward keeping the tank full to avoid condensation. But that's just me.

We are a little spoiled in Toronto area

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Hey Terry . . . filled my B up to the brim with Shell V-Power 91 octane on Sunday on my way home from a 350 km final ride of the 2016 season (although I always run 87 octane during the rest of the season, as recommended). Today a bit of snow in Calgary so think I timed it well as the curtain has definitely dropped on our southern Alberta riding season. I personally have always used Seafoam in my fuel for winter storage, as I know a lot of others on this board do as well. You can also drop a little Seafoam in the oil and, if you have the time and the inclination, a medicine dropper full of oil in the spark plug cylinders is also a good idea (this is mentioned in the owner's manual in winter storage section).

Here's a pic from the final ride with the front range of the Rockies over our shoulders and sun at our backs; accompanied by my riding buds on a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 with 200,000 kms on the clock and a 2011 Victory Cross Country with 97,000 kms.
    I will likely get an opportunity to take the F6B out once in a while as the temperatures here are a lot milder in Toronto area than I used to live with in Montreal. If the temperature hits 10C and there is no sand down I am willing to play.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I was reading the thread with interest. As I live in Dallas, I don't have to worry about winter storage, so I had never heard of the filling the tank up with gas to store. That seems counter intuitive, but the reasons given make sense. Good to know the plastic tank prevents the need. If I had to store a bike for a while, I'd prefer to have as little fuel in it as possible. Good stuff. I appreciate the insight.

Would something like Sea Foam work for stabilizing fuel for storage, or is that more of a cleaner?
    I've been using seafoam in my last two bikes with no issues. I like to take her out for a ride year round if possible, like last winter. Have to see what this one looks like. I kept the fuel full, put her on a tender, and on the center stand. I use seafoam intermittently year round too...One man's opinion.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I've been using seafoam in my last two bikes with no issues. I like to take her out for a ride year round if possible, like last winter. Have to see what this one looks like. I kept the fuel full, put her on a tender, and on the center stand. I use seafoam intermittently year round too...One man's opinion.
    I have the same exact opinion. Now two men's opinions

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537