For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I have the same exact opinion. Now two men's opinions
    +3 A can of sea foam can never hurt !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    +3 A can of sea foam can never hurt !!!!!

+4 on SeaFoam. I add some every other tank throughout the year.

+5 for Seafoam

So yeah, me too on the Seafoam.
    5 men's opinions.

Of course, with one estrogen-based dissenting comment, we're all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    So yeah, me too on the Seafoam.
    5 men's opinions.

Of course, with one estrogen-based dissenting comment, we're all wrong.
    +6

I use Seafoam whenever I lay stuff up for storage. Been using it for years without issue. Here in the Great North Wet we have the option for ethanol free gas, however none of the stations I frequent carry it. I just rotated my stored gas this weekend and refilled the cans with Cheveron 91 and Seafoam.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    +6

I use Seafoam whenever I lay stuff up for storage. Been using it for years without issue. Here in the Great North Wet we have the option for ethanol free gas, however none of the stations I frequent carry it. I just rotated my stored gas this weekend and refilled the cans with Cheveron 91 and Seafoam.
    +7 I use Sea Foam in every gasoline engine I own. Never a issue with any gas which has been treated with the SF

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    +7 I use Sea Foam in every gasoline engine I own. Never a issue with any gas which has been treated with the SF
    I had been using Stabil until a couple years ago when I must have gotten ahold of an old bottle and it made my bikes, mowers, etc. "pop and crack" so I switched to Seafoam and not issue one!...Meijers has it on sale occasionally for about $6 or so and I get a few at a time..Advance Auto had them on "Sale" the other day for $8....so I stick with Meijers.....Best stuff around in my humble opinion....Ride safe

Why Full Tank

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I was reading the thread with interest. As I live in Dallas, I don't have to worry about winter storage, so I had never heard of the filling the tank up with gas to store. That seems counter intuitive, but the reasons given make sense. Good to know the plastic tank prevents the need. If I had to store a bike for a while, I'd prefer to have as little fuel in it as possible. Good stuff. I appreciate the insight.

Would something like Sea Foam work for stabilizing fuel for storage, or is that more of a cleaner?
    What I meant to say (but didn't) is that a full tank is better than a half full tank, and it's usually much easier to top up a tank than empty it. The reason for completely filling up is that a half filled tank leaves a large surface area of fuel exposed to air within the tank itself. Having more fuel in contact with moisture laden air can increase the amount of water that gets absorbed by the ethanol. In a full tank, with the fuel near the filler neck, there's less surface area in contact with the atmosphere.

It probably makes little difference when storing a bike for a few months, but it can be a real problem for power equipment stored for longer periods of time, and especially boats stored in or near water. Luckily nearly all marinas sell pure gasoline instead of corn juice.

Agree. Always store topped off for reasons stated above. Plus it's just good combat preparedness.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    I saw a thread about using higher octane fuels and the benefits or lack thereof. It got me to thinking about the issue of storing our bikes for winter with fuel containing ethanol so I have done some research. It seems that the only fuel we can buy in Canada without ethanol is the Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline. Here is a link to their FAQ page: http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html

According to PURE-GAS.ORG, in Ontario, Canada we can also get it as Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91 which I will presume means it is Shell gas in their pumps.

I am not a big fan of paying extra for unneeded higher octane but big spender that I am I will be laying out the extra couple of dollars to have ethanol free fuel in my bike while it is stored for the winter. I will also be adding a fuel stabilizer to ensure that I do everything that I can do for a trouble free return to the roads in spring.

Our American friends have far more choices.

Attachment 24541
    Good to know that you can get The Shell V Power at Costco and Ultramarine as well, in their 91 octane selection. Thanks for sharing. BTW Friday is going to be warm in the Toronto area. I think I may have to call in sick and go for a last ride (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I had been using Stabil until a couple years ago when I must have gotten ahold of an old bottle and it made my bikes, mowers, etc. "pop and crack" so I switched to Seafoam and not issue one!...Meijers has it on sale occasionally for about $6 or so and I get a few at a time..Advance Auto had them on "Sale" the other day for $8....so I stick with Meijers.....Best stuff around in my humble opinion....Ride safe
    I found Wally World to have the best price for Sea Foam. Less than $7.00 a can and they always have it in stock. As it seems there's a WalMart on every street corner in America there is never a problem getting several cans