Smokie Mountain trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smokie Mountain trip

Can not imagine being in that position, thank God you guys got out ok.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Can not imagine being in that position, thank God you guys got out ok.
    It was a memorable night! Was actually good for the marriage as we had to work together as a team in some really trying circumstances to get out of there. Brought us a little closer together

Well the Smokie mountain trip is getting closer and I am trying to decide whether to go or not. The other 8 or so people in the group are trailering down and I did not want to spend 20 hours in a vehicle w/anyone so I planned my trip separate of them as not to disrupt their vacation should something happen and I could or should not want to go. I know it would be beautiful riding and be fun but the 1,000 miles down, 5 days of riding and 1,000 miles back and I will be riding down and back on my own, prefer to ride w/someone. I still have time, would leave July 27th, so have time to mull on it. If I don't go to the Smokies I would go to Sturgis w/ another group to put a wreath were our Club President passed last year while we were down their.
    Words of wisdom would be great .

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Well the Smokie mountain trip is getting closer and I am trying to decide whether to go or not. The other 8 or so people in the group are trailering down and I did not want to spend 20 hours in a vehicle w/anyone so I planned my trip separate of them as not to disrupt their vacation should something happen and I could or should not want to go. I know it would be beautiful riding and be fun but the 1,000 miles down, 5 days of riding and 1,000 miles back and I will be riding down and back on my own, prefer to ride w/someone. I still have time, would leave July 27th, so have time to mull on it. If I don't go to the Smokies I would go to Sturgis w/ another group to put a wreath were our Club President passed last year while we were down their.
    Words of wisdom would be great .
    I did the exact same mileage, trip and location last September, only from New England...and had the time of my life. I rode alone, enjoyed every mile. I did almost 800 the first day. I just couldn't stop. Finished the next day by noon. Did the same return trip, but did break it up a little more evenly coming home. Four days travel, five days in Maggie Valley. I had just turned 60, so no spring chicken. What can I tell you...I say ride!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I did the exact same mileage, trip and location last September, only from New England...and had the time of my life. I rode alone, enjoyed every mile. I did almost 800 the first day. I just couldn't stop. Finished the next day by noon. Did the same return trip, but did break it up a little more evenly coming home. Four days travel, five days in Maggie Valley. I had just turned 60, so no spring chicken. What can I tell you...I say ride!
    Thanks wjduke !!

Florida to NH via Pittsburgh PA and Return

Hi Choptop

I just returned Sunday night from Laconia, NH bike week. Stayed in Lincoln, NH few miles north of Laconia. I rode from Port St Lucie FL to Pittsburgh, staying in Fayetteville, WV first night after about 850 miles. My first long ride. Also was alone as I was meeting two friends in Pittsburgh. Two day Group ride to NH (three of us). Rode around four days then headed back to Pittsburgh, again two days riding. Stayed an extra day then headed out to FL early Sunday morning. Rode straight through to Port St Lucie, FL getting home about 10:30 pm. Long 16 1/2 hour day! About 1070 miles... One tired puppy. Didn't ride through to prove anything, just one mile after another. Surprised me that it was so easy on the F6B. Also my first long trip on the B.

So i would say go for it, don't sweat riding alone. I found it much easier to ride alone than with others, you may have different experience.

Good luck,
    WEG
    PS The F6B was a 70th birthday present to myself in March.

Quote Originally Posted by WEGI View Post
    Hi Choptop

I just returned Sunday night from Laconia, NH bike week. Stayed in Lincoln, NH few miles north of Laconia. I rode from Port St Lucie FL to Pittsburgh, staying in Fayetteville, WV first night after about 850 miles. My first long ride. Also was alone as I was meeting two friends in Pittsburgh. Two day Group ride to NH (three of us). Rode around four days then headed back to Pittsburgh, again two days riding. Stayed an extra day then headed out to FL early Sunday morning. Rode straight through to Port St Lucie, FL getting home about 10:30 pm. Long 16 1/2 hour day! About 1070 miles... One tired puppy. Didn't ride through to prove anything, just one mile after another. Surprised me that it was so easy on the F6B. Also my first long trip on the B.

So i would say go for it, don't sweat riding alone. I found it much easier to ride alone than with others, you may have different experience.

Good luck,
    WEG
    Impressive! 70....1070 miles. Good for you.

Thank you BigHutch14, much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by WEGI View Post
    Hi Choptop

Good luck,
    WEG
    Yes impressive, ok I will stop kinda whining at almost 66. lol Thinking I will do it.

Well the Smoky Mountain trip is right around the corner. Plan on leaving the morning of the 26th and arrive Maggie Valley on the 28th, the rest to arrive late/early on the 29th/30th, they are trailering. Not planning on a scenic route like the one to Franklin last year, will be solo and just blow down, 94 east, 39 south, 74 east, 65 south, 64 east, 75 south, 40 east into Maggie valley, will get plenty of scenic riding while down their. Staying at the Travelowe's in Maggie Valley. Leaving on Friday the 4th.