Scotrod,

I am 6',2" tall with an average to perhaps slightly longer torso length and 34" pant inseam. To select the proper shield height you have to first know exactly which base shield Madstad is going to ship to you. I received the 10" tall base shield by accident (as measured from the bottom of the faring gasket to the top of the base shield). Mark at Madstad said they should have shipped a base shield that is approx 2" shorter as seen in this thread on Bruce's bike.

If you look at Bruce's bike he has his brackets adjusted approx 2" UP to get the bottom of the shield approx even with the faring gasket. My guess is that the top of his 13" shield is approx 13" above the bottom of the faring gasket. This leaves Bruce with only 1" of additional UP adjustment (so the full usable adjustment range for Bruce is 13" to 14" above the bottom of the faring gasket). So if you get the shorter base shield as Bruce did then you have to choose your shield height very carefully because of the very limited height adjustment. When I discussed the limited height adjustment the shorter base shield imposes with Mark at Madstad, Mark seemed to think it was no big deal, I have to disagree, (that would be a deal killer for me).

In my case I have the taller 10" base shield so when the brackets are adjusted all the way DOWN the bottom of the shield is approx even with the faring gasket. I can set my 11" shield so the top of it is anywhere from 11" to 14" above the bottom of the faring gasket. I appear to get excellent wind protection through that entire adjustment range with the taller base shield. My concern is that a shorter base shield may degrade wind protection when the shield is adjusted full UP? I have no way to prove this, so make your own choice.

It was interesting in my conversations with Mark, he stated the Madstad windshield heights they manufacture are simply that, the height of the windshield when placed on a table measured from top to bottom (they make no reference to a point on the bike). On the other hand Goldwing owners when discussing windshield height tend to assume this means the height of the shield measured from the faring gasket to the top of the shield. This is not the case with the kit Bruce received. If he adjusts his 13" shield to full DOWN the top of his shield will be approx 11" above the faring gasket and the bottom of the shield approx 2" below the faring gasket. My point here is that Goldwing owners may be thinking apples while Madstad is thinking and shipping oranges.

I'm taking the time here in an attempt to help forum members understand their choices. I also hope this will be useful and constructive feedback for Madstad. When I originally ordered this product I wanted a shield I could adjust from 11" up to 14" in height (as measured from the bottom of the faring base gasket to the top of the shield). Madstad recommended I order their 16" shield despite the measurements I provided and concerns I expressed about 16" being too tall (granted Mark assured me they would replace the shield at no charge if it did not work out and he has).

My advice would be to order the taller Base Shield, that way if you adjust a 11" or 13" shield full DOWN, the top of the shield will be approximately 11" or 13" above the bottom of the faring base gasket. Then you have a full 3" of upward adjustment (14" and 16" max height respectively) with no apparent loss in wind protection as far as I can tell.