Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Madstad Install

Going to attempt to post links to the install of a 16" Madstad on my F6B:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1...017_175333.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v...017_175218.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...017_175608.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2...017_175432.jpg

The shield looks much better installed than I was expecting it to. On the Madstad site they suggest a 20" shield for a 6'2" tall rider on the F6B page. I emailed Mark and let him know according to my measurements (eye level sitting on the bike) the 20" shield would be way too tall. The shortest shield the site listed on the F6B page was a 16 inch which I suggested to Mark would still be too tall. Mark emailed back he thought the 16" would be the one for me so I ordered that. After all they are the experts.

Installed the 16" shield today and it's too tall by at least 3" when the brackets are adjusted as low as possible. Riding behind a Minivan today when I looked over the top of the shield I was looking well over the top of the van. A little disappointed they would not be aware of what works on the F6B with stock seat. I got the Dark Grey which looks really nice on the black bike but think this would be tough looking through at night, not to mention bugs and road grime. In any event Mark understood I wanted to look over the top of the shield. I have an email into him to see where we go from here.

The brackets have about 3" up and down adjustment. I'm thinking an 11" shield would be about right. Brackets all the way down = 11" to top of shield, Brackets all the way up = 14" to top of shield. It will be interesting to see what Mark comes back with as far as a recommendation.

Otherwise I really like how easy these brackets are to adjust, simple yet elegant. I can say there is a lot less wind noise and buffeting but will wait to make a final judgement when I have ridden with a shield that I can actually look over.

Ugly

I understand form over function but it better work really good because it is not very attractive.

Ugly Needs Some Love Too:

Do four or five 600 mile days back to back and I bet this shield starts to look a lot better fast to the guy in the saddle. As I said I will wait to pass final judgement until I have put on some significant miles with a shorter shield.

I have a Harley that is basically a Bar Queen with no shield for the Cool-Factor.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I understand form over function but it better work really good because it is not very attractive.
    Tell us all what shield YOU like!

Don't forget your standard 'pay a price for coolness' disclaimer at the end!!!

Nah, I think it needs a little tweaking, and a shorter version would look better.

Would like to see the lower line of the upper shield match the fairing contour a little closer,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Nah, I think it needs a little tweaking, and a shorter version would look better.

Would like to see the lower line of the upper shield match the fairing contour a little closer,,,,,
    I believe MadStad is 'aiming' for a 60 degree install. The lower contour might be a closer match to the fairing at that angle of rake, HOWEVER, I would like to retain, or be close to, the factory windshield rake. (Close to what we see in the pics.)

Hmmm. Still has to function, and another Vendor makes something similar where the top shield duplicates the OEM rake ONLY,,, unless you buy the optional rake hardware, which looks a bit, eh,, like an Erector Set!

I still want to see what eventually becomes of this application as its gotten rave reviews on many other bikes.

When I had my RG, the Madstad took over 10 high speed tries to get the perfect bubble I was looking for. Lots of adjustment, space between windshield and base, vertical, and angle of upper shield. In the end it was smooth and quiet @ 80+...

2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Once a person understands why it looks like it does, its a lot more 'attractive'!

I think it looks good on your RG!

FWIW, Previous bikes I've seen equipped w/Madstad that looked good/better than some other applications were the RG and Vic CCT. Very nice 'fit' considering what had to be done!

Off topic,,, D-shark, how are the Mick-o-pegs working out?

Have my Madstad installed and have put a few miles on it. I'm in the process of fine tuning it and so far things are looking good. Will be getting a lot more miles and some pics this weekend. I'm 5"9" to 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. Have the 13 inch shield. At first I thought it was going to be too tall but seems OK now. I look over the top of it. I talked to Mark today and asked about the 11 incher. He'd be happy to swap it out but now I think the 13" is probably best. Mark said that if the bottom of the shield is too high up from the bottom of the base plate, performance suffers. The 11 incher, for me, would probably have to be raised too high to work well. The large opening gap on the bottom would let in too much air flow. He said it would work best for guys in the 5"6" to 5"7" inch range. One thing for sure, the shield has sure cut down the wind noise in my Shoei. The picture in this thread of the Madstad on the RG shows what seems to be an ideal rake and opening gap on the bottom. Pics and more findings/opinion to come as I get some miles on this setup.

Cant wait to see the pics
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King