Madstad for F6B - Page 11
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Scotrod,

You mentioned in another thread that your short ride on the Interstate with the Madstad did not seem that much different than a standard shield.

I was surrounded by heavy Houston traffic the entire time. Very poor conditions.

My bike on the Interstate is Hands Down many times better than the 11" BaggerShield I was running.

I was running the 'convertible' in the high mounted position,,, 20.5 inches of shield above weatherstrip

Before the Madstad I actually thought the BaggerShield was doing a good job. The Madstad just exceeded all my expectations by a wide margin.

On the Interstate I still get some buffeting from traffic but much reduced compared to my BaggerShield. The Madstad also seems to help in reducing to some degree the effect of stiff crosswinds on the rider. It just seems to create a relatively large Bubble of smooth air.

Now I know due to weather you have not had the opportunity to ride that much to dial-in your setup. I'm just trying to provide my observations for others trying to order or dial-in what they have.
    No worries! Hoping to get more dial-in time SOON!!!!! Always open to helpful tips and what others have experienced!!!!
    Just like anything else, what one experiences may not be identical to another, but typically, a pattern of sorts develops!!

Ho Ho Ho. my Madstad will be here before Christmas. Thanks Santa, it's just what I wanted. Even got a call this morning from one of the elves at the Madstad pole. That's customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Ho Ho Ho. my Madstad will be here before Christmas. Thanks Santa, it's just what I wanted. Even got a call this morning from one of the elves at the Madstad pole. That's customer service.

You're going to really like it. Have fun.

A few pics,,,

Working w/Chris @ Madstad to 'fine tune'. Chris requested some pics, so here we go,,,,
    These were taken w/bracket bolts 1 set of holes down. Angle seems to work best for my application.
    Still, more T and T required. Hope to be heading out for a good ride soon.

Scotrod,

One thing I noted from your photos is the way your Robo Brackets are assembled. If I'm not mistaken Bruce B's were assembled in a similar fashion from the factory. Over a period of time Bruce and I compared notes and found assembling the Robo Brackets to provide Max distance between the Base and Shield provided best results for both of us. This is Burce B's bike, Note the bolt hole locations for the 2-piece Robo Brackets:

Then note the bolt hole locations on your Robo Brackets:

It also looks like your shield is not tilted forward to a full 60 degrees. My theory is with the Shield mounted closer to the Base (as on your bike now) as the top of the Shield is tilted forward to 60 degrees the bottom edge of the Shield rotates in towards the Base choking off the air gap further and therefore air flow between Base and Shield reducing the wind protection.

As stated earlier, I found best performance with Max gap between Base & shield. You might want to try re-configuring your Robo-Brackets to what Bruce and I are using (Max Gap) for a comparison.

Brackets were shipped 'full out'. Rode it first day w/that configuration and later re-bolted to one full set of holes in (as pictured)

Bruces in pic is full up in front hole, not quite top hole in back of bracket. (lower of 2 holes that overlap at top) His forward bolt direction is also different. Not sure that it matters as long as 'plastic' washer is against the slot

Started out w60 rake first day, Feeling the air movement at all locations with your hand helps with adjustments.

Last trip out was in the lower (actually middle overall) hole set (as pictured), Went back to 60 rake for S + G. 60 rake was worse still as lower 'intake' area was restricted, less air coming up behind to push oncoming air up..

Moved the brackets back to full out last night as I'm hoping to head out today, once the T-storms pass through,, Also hoping to experience more super-slab speeds today,,, Should be able to focus / fine tune that aspect a bit more as most everything prior was 50-60 MPH.

I'm happy to have something that is adjustable vs. a plain old "bolt it on and ya got whatcha got" set up! =-/

Was cleaning my bike this morning and snapped a couple photos of how my 11" Shield with 10" Base are set up. Note where the Robo-Bracket assembly bolt holes are lined up in the first photo.

The photo below shows the angle relationship between the Base and Shield. I had not checked the Shield angle in a long time. Threw my angle gauge on it and it was dead on 60 degrees. Note the large gap between the bottom of the Shield and Base (2-1/2 inches). I found this to work best on my bike.

Scotrod,

Next time out you might try setting up your shield so that it looks similar to mine as far as the relationship of the bottom to the Shield to the Base and Faring. I'm thinking this will be Shield full UP since you have the short Base. I realize this will almost certainly result in you looking through the Shield but it might be informative.

I originally had the 15" Shield and had good wind protection. When I went to the 11" Shield I think the wind protection actually improved.

I wanted to expand a bit on my comment in the above post: "I originally had the 15" Shield and had good wind protection. When I went to the 11" Shield I think the wind protection actually improved."

The main differences between the 15" and 11" shield adjustment on my bike were that the 15" shield was adjusted all the way Down (smaller gap between bottom of Shield and Base), the 11" Shield is adjusted up about 1-1/4" (larger gap between bottom of Shield and Base).

It should also be noted that with the Shield adjusted Full Down, as you push the top of the Shield forward to the 60 degree position, the bottom of the Shield actually rotates in closer to the Base and Faring compared to a Shield that is adjust UP from it's lowest setting. This is due to the way the Shield cantilevers on the Robo-Brackets.

Madstad windshield for F6B

Folks-I picked the Madstad windshield for the new F6B. The service from Madstad is outstanding. They return both telephone calls and email!

The installation is absolutely easy. The windshield parts are beautifully made, and the system works very well. I picked the Madstad because it was strongly recommended, and because it is adjustable. The adjustments are simple, and they can be done in a parking lot, without tools and with gloves on.

The Madstad windshield is effective at all tested speeds so far. Though easy to adjust, it took just a couple of tries to set it up for my riding height and position. The ordering instructions have a menu for rider height. I followed this to the letter, and backed it up with a phone call to Madstad. They were very helpful! Madstad makes a great product.

Bottom line: Madstad is highly recommended!