Madstad for F6B - Page 25
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar

Tell us what shield(s)you had before and what you think of the 'stad,,,

Ok let me try this again -
    I have had 3 windshields so far, Stock, Cee Bailey's 13", F4 customs 18" and now the Madstad 15" clear. I have a RDL seat so I am an inch or two higher in the saddle than the stock seat.

With the Madstad shield fully up and at a 60 degree angle. It's 20 inches from the top of the shield to the Honda logo on the dash. Madstad allows for a lot of adjustment in the windshield which is perfect for a tinkerer like myself. I can definitely see why this windshield is not for everyone, it's definitely unique in the looks department but it kind of grows on you after a while.

I have attached a few pics that may help someone else. Not sure why the pic uploader rotates them arrggghh.

I have not had a chance to test it yet, hopefully I will get out for a ride tomorrow and report back. But so far I am impressed with the quality and the engineering. Not taking anything away from any of the other windshields. I like to Farkle, it's a disease that's my story and I am sticking to it :-)

Put in 1100 miles in the last 2 days and had some excellent opportunity's to high-speed 'tune' WITH the wind wings on.

It's a bit different combining the wings and the Madstad, and tuning one has an effect on the other,,,

Currently running parallel w/base,,, not quite 100% 'back' on rake. Also running the 'middle' set of holes between upper and lower brackets. (This brings the shield closer to base vs the 'top' set of holes that most brackets are sent out with from the manufacturer.)

The wings:

First,,, 'full closed' on the wings moves the air off your hands and out away from Rider. Biggest issue is a bit of pressure on your back/shoulders as the wind is trying to rush in the pocket of low pressure between you and the shield. This same low pressure zone is 'pulling down/disrupting' the stream of air coming up the backside of the shield,,,

That stream is the same one that push's the oncoming air up over your head,,, (Kinda like a 'flip' shield but without all the 'stirring' of the wind)

So,,, Running w/ the wing's 'straight forward/neutral' reduces the width/strength of the 'bubble' and reduces that pressure on your back,,,,

And,,,,, Running w/the wing's positioned so they pull air into the riders area eliminates that pressure on your back and helps to further reduce the pressure differentiation between 'normal' and the area behind the shield,,, With less pressure differentiation, the stream coming up behind the shield isn't 'disrupted/dissipated' as much and tends to stay smoother/stronger in 'pushing' the oncoming air upwards,,,

At high speeds (80ish) I would run mostly 'neutral' or a hair 'open' on the wings and slide the shield higher in the slots. (Should be 'acceptable' in hot weather as there is still some good air circulating at 80 mph,,, You really don't want to be 'blow-torched' with hot air,, just get a good breeze,,) At 50-60, I ran the wings 'full open' (air towards rider) and slide the shield down in the slots to get as much air over the helmet vents as you can handle

Worst problem is ya get spoiled with how quiet it is with the shield up and sliding it down to get yer noggin in some real airflow reminds you of how noisy your helmet is!

As always, each individual's experience will vary, but combining wings with Madstad has it's own set of variables that can compliment each other.

Don't be afraid to experiment with settings you 'think' won't work!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Some pics of a 15 inch light gray and a 13 inch medium gray:

Attachment 3823

Attachment 3822

Attachment 3821
    That blue is an awesome color!!

Thanks!
    It tends to be a bit more purple in some types of light,,, Eh,,, I like the light that makes it blue the best! LOL!

So, after reading this thread, what do you think of the Madstad system?

Thanks!
    It tends to be a bit more purple in some types of light,,, Eh,,, I like the light that makes it blue the best! LOL!

So, after reading this thread, what do you think of the Madstad system?
    It sounds like I will love it. I should have listened to you guys on the cobra pipes. Crazy annoying noise! Sound great in the driveway! I am researching the exhaust
    loops now!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRob View Post
    I should have listened to you guys on the cobra pipes. Crazy annoying noise! Sound great in the driveway! I am researching the exhaust
    loops now!
    Are ya sure you don't like the OEM pipes?

A member here painted his black and they look pretty darn sharp! No drone either!

Are ya sure you don't like the OEM pipes?

A member here painted his black and they look pretty darn sharp! No drone either!
    Yup shoulda left well enough alone!! just spent 700 on black 6 2 6's I really want them to work. If not I guess idiot tax, I will put stock back on dunno very disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRob View Post
    Yup shoulda left well enough alone!! just spent 700 on black 6 2 6's I really want them to work. If not I guess idiot tax, I will put stock back on dunno very disappointed
    If the buying and selling of 6-2-6 from this board is any indication you should just be able to unload them for $550ish and move on. I think trying to do the torque loops is setting yourself up for further heartache, but again that is just my opinion.

Madstad is easily one of the best purchases out there (even with the gripes I had initially for set up), the Cobras are one I am glad to have avoided.

Whats wrong with the Cobra pipes?

Awesome thread and info here! I'll be ordering a Madstad this week... and thanks to you fine folks I know exactly how to place the order.