Madstad for F6B - Page 5
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    The reveal at the bottom of the shield looks consistant all the way across. Betcha that's the positioning Mark had in mind when it was designed.
    Roughly, how much gap do you have across the front?
    What is your inseam?
    Thanks!!!

Madstad With Passenger:

Girlfriend and I went for a ride Sunday. Nice day but gusty. As Bruce indicates you really need a calm day (clean air) to accurately judge the change in wind protection with different shield angles. Overall for me the 16" Madstad is a big improvement over the previous 11" Baggershield. At 16" I get really good protection (quiet) at just about any angle and or height. Problem however as stated before is I can't see over it. Girlfriend indicated the wind was now hitting her on top of the head instead of in the face. She seemed to prefer the shield tilted all the way back (normal shield angle).

With the Madstad you can hear the engine and tranny and the noise of the wind going over and around the windshield. This is however much quieter than all the wind buffeting noise around the head and ears previously with the Baggershield. For the price and height the Baggershield does a decent job. Biggest problem I had with the Baggershield was even more noise & buffeting when I wore my half helmet. Even though the Madstad shield is narrower than the Baggershield it seems to provide as wide if not wider protection from side to side.

Last week I asked Mark to ship me the 11" shield, waiting to hear back as to when that might ship? This will give me a height adjustment range of 11-14". I really liked the height (great visibility over the shield) and sporty look of the 11" Baggershield. If I can get that and the calm air it would be great. We shall see.

Shield Height:

Bruce,

Got looking closely at your 13" shield install and it looks as though you have the shield (brackets) adjusted up as high as it will go, is that right? I ask because when my 16" shield is adjusted all the way down then the top of the shield is approximately 16 inches above the rubber strip that mates the base shield to the faring. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it appears as though your shield (brackets) will only adjust down from the 13" height while mine will only adjust up from it's 16" height ???

Bottom Contour Of Shield:

Scotrod,

Looking closely at the bottom contour for Bruce's shield it is quite a bit different than mine (looks like a much better line). I'm trying to get an answer from Mark but no contact yet.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Bruce,

Got looking closely at your 13" shield install and it looks as though you have the shield (brackets) adjusted up as high as it will go, is that right? I ask because when my 16" shield is adjusted all the way down then the top of the shield is approximately 16 inches above the rubber strip that mates the base shield to the faring. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it appears as though your shield (brackets) will only adjust down from the 13" height while mine will only adjust up from it's 16" height ???
    The two installs do look different when looking at bracket vertical adjustment slots.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

How are you guys ordering these?

I don't see these on the Madstad website yet, how are you guys ordering these and how much are they?

Top of Madstad Home Page select "Motorcycle Products" then select "Honda" then select "GL1800 Goldwing". There is no specific F6B page. Prices are $280 to $300 dollars.

I think they are still trying to get their act together with the F6B product??? The shortest shield they list is the 16". I suggested to Mark this was too tall for the F6B but took his word for it. Looks like what I got differs some from what Bruce posted pictures of but have yet to get into contact with Mark at Madstad.

I spoke with Mark at Madstad late today and didn't get an answer to my basic question as to why the difference in bracket height adjustment between Bruce's bike and mine. Now I know he has been out of the office (on the road) and he sounded tired tonight so I wasn't going to beat someone up on the phone in that condition.

I tried to take a pic of my bike at the same relative angle and height as Bruce did. It's pretty clear the bottom of each shield is about even with the the gasket that mates the faring to the base shield. It's also clear that the bottom contour (relief) on Bruce's shield is much more gradual and looks better.

Now Mark at Madstad says these two shields are the same except for the height (Bruce's 13" and my 16"). Mark claims Bruces 13" shield is the same as mine Just that he has 3" cut off the top. Mark claims the distance from shield mounting holes to the bottom of the shield are the same on all shields. Seems if that were the case the brackets on both shields would be adjusted in the full down position. Note that Bruce's brackets appear to be adjusted full UP and mine are in fact full DOWN. It was clear that Mark and I were not on the same page as I explained this and we never reached any type of agreement.

Supposedly Mark will send me an 11" shield that will be exactly like my 16", just 5" cut off the top. If that's the case then it will be 11" above the faring gasket in the down position and 14" in the up position which is what I'm looking for. If it turns out like Bruce's then it will be 11" in the full up position and adjust down to 8" which is not what I want. I tried to explain to Mark that something is off here but just was not getting across. I tried, guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait to see what I get. I'm not too optimistic since I tried to tell Mark before placing my original order that the 16" shield would be too high.

Can any of you guy's explain why the vertical bracket adjustment is at opposite extremes on the two bikes ????

Bruce's Bike

d-shark's Bike

different windshields

Yo...D-shark, take a very careful look at the difference between the two windshields. They are not the same. The very bottom edge of the windshield on Bruce's bike is a straighter line cut. But the same area on your windshield has a arch or curve cut into the middle of the bottom of your windshield...almost as if it was to fit around a round 7" headlight. Not saying that is what it was designed for, just that is what it "looks like" it was desgined for.

The bottom edge of these two windshields are quite different.

I undersdtand that this was not the reasoning behind your post, because...yes...there is a difference in the positioning of the adjustment bracket. But I wanted you to see that there is also a difference in the actual windshields.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    There is a slight difference in the curvature /shape of the base.

Look between the mirror and the edge of the shield on both bikes.

Does the base have holes to mount it to the bike with no adjustment or are there slots like a 'normal' Full G-wing shield?