Madstad for F6B - Page 6
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Yes the contour on the bottom of Bruce's shield matches the faring better and looks better. Also noticed the different contour of the base shield next to the left mirror. When I installed mine it does have slots and I installed it in the lowest possible position. So guess the bottom line is that Bruce and I have different shields and base shields. I think both our shields were shipped on the same day. I like the contour on Bruce's shield better and the contour on my base shield better.

I sent these pics to Mark at Madstad tonight but have not had a lot of luck getting email responses from him. It's a little frustrating.

More Madstad Pics.

I'm attaching some more pics of my brackets and the position I'm finding works well for me. I will also try dropping to a lower position because, if that works, I'd like to have the top of the shield a bit further below my line of sight. As you can see, I still have a fair amount of adjustment available on each end of the slot. I chose some reference points to measure by when trying various heights so that I could take notes and repeat what I found worked the best. Harbor Freight has a $4.99 inclinometer (located by the levels) that I found helpful in being precise. Really helps when trying to repeat what works. This is the 13 inch shield. I'm 5' 9-10", and have a 30" inseam. From the top end of the movable part of the bracket (in line with the slot) to the top edge of the tightening nut, is 2 1/8 inches. Any reference points could be used in trying out different settings. I just chose those. Rake is 60 degrees.
    ( A quick edit. Just saw that somehow I posted each picture two or more times. I have no idea how that happened but it's best that I don't mess with it.)

Attachment 2739Attachment 2740Attachment 2741Attachment 2742Attachment 2743Attachment 2739Attachment 2740Attachment 2741Attachment 2742Attachment 2743

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Bruce's upper brackets are attached to different holes in lower brackets than D-sharks pic in post 39:
    http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2664

Well that solves part of the mystery as to why things look different. Thanks for the photos Bruce.

The question I had for Mark which remains unanswered is why does the bottom of both shields appear to be about even with the Faring to base shield gasket when my shield is in the full down position and Bruce's is raised at least 2 inches? When I raise my shield 2 inches the bottom of the shield is well above the faring to base gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Well that solves part of the mystery as to why things look different. Thanks for the photos Bruce.

The question I had for Mark which remains unanswered is why does the bottom of both shields appear to be about even with the Faring to base shield gasket when my shield is in the full down position and Bruce's is raised at least 2 inches? When I raise my shield 2 inches the bottom of the shield is well above the faring to base gasket.
    d-shark, as a crosscheck for you, I just measured the distance between the bottom of my shield and the lower mounting holes. The holes are 4 inches up from the bottom of the shield.

Bruce, Measured the distance from the bottom of my shield to the lower mounting hole and it's 3-7/8" or in other words close enough to 4". That seems to make the different bracket adjustments between our two bikes an even bigger mystery. Could your base shield be shorter than mine. Measuring from the bottom edge of the faring / base shield gasket to the top of the base shield is 10" on mine.

Mark emailed me back this morning and I've tried at least three times to send him pictures of the two bikes. He gets the emails but no photos although the photos show up in the archive copies in my Gmail. I even forwarded a copy of the email to myself and the photos were there no problem. I think his email server must be stripping out the photos due to size restrictions ???

As a last resort I forwarded Mark the web link to this page. I sent him the link last week and he claimed it did not work. I asked him to copy the link and paste it into his browser this time around. Have not heard anything back from Mark since that email.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    IMHO:
    The 2 bases are different.
    D-sharks is larger/taller than Bruces.
    Bracket distance to OEM rubber strip should be compared. Bruces looks to be just under 2 inches from bracket edge to rubber strip.
    http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2742

D-sharks shield is too dark to determine the dim via photo's

Bruce, here are measurements of my base shield. From the top edge of the Base shield to the bottom edge of the faring gasket is 10". From the bottom edge of the base shield bracket to the bottom edge of the faring gasket is 3-3/4". How does this compare to yours? You guys didn't know I had 3 hands, 2 tapes and 1 phone to take the photo.

I should note that I raised the shield to it's full up position for this picture so the tape measures can be clearly seen.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Bruce, here are measurements of my base shield. From the top edge of the Base shield to the bottom edge of the faring gasket is 10". From the bottom edge of the base shield bracket to the bottom edge of the faring gasket is 3-3/4". How does this compare to yours? You guys didn't know I had 3 hands, 2 tapes and 1 phone to take the photo.

I should note that I raised the shield to it's full up position for this picture so the tape measures can be clearly seen.

D-shark,
    My numbers- Top of base to bottom of gasket, 7 7/8"; Bottom edge of base shield bracket to bottom edge of gasket, 2 1/4"

Bruce,

Thanks for your time and effort providing photos and measurements. Your measurements explain why the difference in Bracket height adjustment between our two bikes. Your base shield is 2" shorter than mine so you have your brackets adjusted approximately 2" UP to adjust for the difference, makes sense now.

What doesn't make a lot of sense is that we both ordered basically the same 3 piece product kit (base shield, brackets, shield) and got different things. Your base shield is approximately 2" shorter than mine. Your brackets came assembled differently than mine. The bottom of your shield has a different and more pleasing contour IMHO. What baffles me even more is that Mark at Madstad does not know for sure exactly what parts were sent to either one of us.

As a side note for you, when I installed my Base Shield it had slots and I installed it in the full DOWN position. Don't know if yours had slots and can be raised to a similar height as mine? In any event if yours is working probably no need to mess with success.