Madstad for F6B - Page 7
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Not the same system (our bad)

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Bruce,

What doesn't make a lot of sense is that we both ordered basically the same 3 piece product kit (base shield, brackets, shield) and got different things.
    Our apologies, it turns out we sent you a GL1800 setup by mistake, and it just so happens that our mounting plate for the GL1800 fits into the F6B fairing (but wouldn't work the other way around). That's why it looks like you and Bruce got two different systems, because you did. Brackets are the same, shield and base plate are a bit different. We'll ship you the correct plate and another shield tomorrow, and that should set things right. Sorry for the confusion, we do make mistakes now and then. We appreciate your patience. - Mark

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadStad View Post
    That's why it looks like you and Bruce got two different systems, because you did. Brackets are the same, shield and base plate are a bit different. . - Mark
    Can we order F6B-specific sets from the website? Looked the other day and didn't see any F6B-specific option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Can we order F6B-specific sets from the website? Looked the other day and didn't see any F6B-specific option.
    The F6B isn't on the site yet but give a call and they'll fix you up. I think it's good to discuss the height with them before ordering. You've been following the Madstad deal very closely. Sounds like you're ready to order.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    The F6B isn't on the site yet but give a call and they'll fix you up. I think it's good to discuss the height with them before ordering. You've been following the Madstad deal very closely. Sounds like you're ready to order.
    Closer now than I've ever been!

I have at least (1) real hurdle before I can commit.

~New~ seat (RDL) arrives the 30th. Need to test and tune with it to determine if I'm higher/lower/same, etc. Doubt that there will be any significant changes along those lines, BUT, with luck like mine,,, (JINXED is my middle name!!!!)

You mentioned you thought about getting a med tint shield ISO the light tint. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Closer now than I've ever been!

I have at least (1) real hurdle before I can commit.

~New~ seat (RDL) arrives the 30th. Need to test and tune with it to determine if I'm higher/lower/same, etc. Doubt that there will be any significant changes along those lines, BUT, with luck like mine,,, (JINXED is my middle name!!!!)

You mentioned you thought about getting a med tint shield ISO the light tint. Why?
    I just like the looks of the darker tint. My only concern is night time visability. If it wasn't for that, I'd go for the dark tint.

Regarding Night Visibility:

Bruce B,

Regarding night time visibility with the dark grey. I was riding home the other night during dusk (remember now that I am currently looking through my 16" shield) and the lowered visibility was annoying. My previous shield was an 11" dark Baggershield which was no problem at night since I was looking well over the top of it. Point here is if you are looking far enough over the top of the shield then night visibility is not an issue (not for me anyway).

If u get a madstad and look thru it, u missed the point and might as well get a tall cheap shield. U should be looking way over it...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Mark & I Finally On The Same Page:

OK, I'm sure you folks have sensed my frustration over the differences in the Madstad kits Bruce and I received and what I felt was a lack of any acceptable explanation from Mark at Madstad. After sending Mark a number of Emails with photos of both bikes where none of the photos were visible on his end I suggested he come here to the Forum. Mark did that but evidently photos are only visible to registered members so he registered and had to wait for administrator approval before logging in (this explains why a response to my questions took so long). Now that Mark is a member and has seen all the photos he and I are finally on the same page as indicated by his post here yesterday afternoon.

I would like to give Mark credit for the time he has spent reading my emails, answering my phone calls, registering on this forum and dealing professionally with my impatience. After Mark got on the Forum yesterday and saw the photos we exchanged a couple of very informative emails. Some of that information I will try to paraphrase here.

Mark reminded me although Madstad manufactures a lot of shield kits, the F6B kit is new so they are still experimenting and or trying different things to see what customers respond to. As an example he mentioned they have sent out three different windshield shapes with different contours to get customer feedback. I made Mark aware that given a choice between mine or Bruce's top shield I vote for Bruce's. Now that Mark is a member here I'm sure he will follow this thread so others should express their preference as well.

As mentioned earlier I am waiting for an 11" shield that has shipped and will arrive next week. This shield mounted on my current base shield will measure approximately 11" from the top of the shield to the faring / base shield gasket in it's lowest position and approximately 14" in it's highest position which is a good range of adjustment. I really liked the height of my previous 11" Baggershield, I was looking well over the top of it and reasonable wind protection for most riding. I expect the ability to raise the Madstad shield up for long interstate runs to be a big plus. The 16" Madstad provides a big bubble of calm air at just about any angle and or height. I'm guessing the 11" shield effectiveness may be a bit more sensitive to height and angle adjustment???

Mark has offered to send me the shorter base shield as seen on Bruce's bike and I'm not sure I want to install that for a few reasons: First of all with the taller base shield when the shield itself is adjusted all the way down the bottom of the shield is generally in line with the faring / base shield gasket (this looks nice). Seems to me this would be as low as one would want the shield to go any way. Seems to me like a lower position would start to choke off the air gap between the shield and faring? Also seems to me if the bottom of the shield is adjusted below the the faring gasket it's just not going to look quite right? Also adjusting the bottom of the shield below the faring gasket seems like there may be a risk of inadvertently contacting the faring. Also, I just find the taller base shield top contour visually more pleasing compared to the shorter base shield on Bruce's bike (just me). And finally seems to me the taller base shield would make the whole system more aerodynamically effective, especially when the shield is in it's full up position compared to the shorter base shield??? Others should express their feelings as I'm sure Mark would appreciate the feedback.

Mark explained to me that they went with the shorter base shield on the F6B to avoid limiting forward visibility since the base is completely dark for this model (this is thick heavy material that provides very good support for the brackets). Mark seems to think the taller base shield could be s safety issue for shorter riders and thinks sacrificing adjustment range is an acceptable trade-off for improved visibility. For me having full usable height adjustment range is a key feature!!! I had a number of friends ride my F6B with the 11" Baggershield that was dark and everyone said they could easily see over it just fine. My taller Madstad base shield is only 10" tall measured from the bottom edge of the faring gasket to the top of the base shield. Thoughts from others on this subject my be helpful to Mark.

When I have a chance to install and ride with the new 11" shield next week I will report back. Thanks to Bruce, Mark and everyone else here for their helpful input.

chipmaker,

You are right. This has become a long thread but earlier I stated I ordered the 16" shield at Madstad's advice and it turned out it was way too tall (am looking through it). Madstad is sending me an 11" to replace it.

Can't wait to get one for this bike, I'll let u guys figure out the final product choices...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King