Madstad for F6B - Page 9
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I can easily see over the 19 inch combined height of my Baggershield.

Sounds like the Madstad will end up at a more-upright angle than OEM, but even then,,,, kinda getting the feeling a 15 might be necessary,,

Scotrod,

In my case my eye level seated on the bike is 58" above the floor as measured by my girlfriend several times. In the photo below the top of the shield is 60" above the floor and the red tape 58" (my eye level). Measuring from the bottom of the faring gasket to the top of the shield is 14" (a 15" shield would be 1" taller when adjusted full down). You may want to have someone measure your eye level while sitting on the bike for comparison. My gut tells me a 15" would work for you but it would have to be adjusted all the way down to see over the top. That would virtually eliminate the vertical adjustment feature of the brackets.

The stock shield sits at an angle of approximately 45 degrees. As the Madstad shield is tilted upwards to the recommended 60 degrees the top edge moves up into your field of view fairly rapidly. In the photo below I can't see over the shield when it is set at a 60 degree angle as pictured. When I rotate the Madstad back to a 45 degree angle (close to stock) I can see over it.

Any more updates on the Madstad, I just ordered mine. My 13" CB has the wind buffeting the top of my lid creating turbulence and noise.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I have the 13" dark shield and like it a lot. By this weekend I'll be trying the 11" shield just to compare and see which one I prefer. It's a great unit and I like it a lot better than my 13" CB. Put on 260 miles behind it last Saturday mostly in twisties to the Napa Valley wine country, then twisties north to Clear Lake, and then down a long twisty canyon, plus some straight stuff to get to and from the fun stuff. The dark shield works well. Like looking through dark sunglasses when there is a need to look down which is hardly ever. Even on 20 mph corners, I'm easily looking over and to the side of the shield. The dark tint is no problem or distraction at night either. I don't think I'd like the dark opaque shield though. You're going to like your Madstad. You'll like the appearance too. It's a distinctive windshield for a distinctive bike.

I have the 11" coming. I loved the madstad on my RG.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

11" Opaque is cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I have the 13" dark shield and like it a lot. By this weekend I'll be trying the 11" shield just to compare and see which one I prefer. It's a great unit and I like it a lot better than my 13" CB. Put on 260 miles behind it last Saturday mostly in twisties to the Napa Valley wine country, then twisties north to Clear Lake, and then down a long twisty canyon, plus some straight stuff to get to and from the fun stuff. The dark shield works well. Like looking through dark sunglasses when there is a need to look down which is hardly ever. Even on 20 mph corners, I'm easily looking over and to the side of the shield. The dark tint is no problem or distraction at night either. I don't think I'd like the dark opaque shield though. You're going to like your Madstad. You'll like the appearance too. It's a distinctive windshield for a distinctive bike.
    I have the 11" Opaque as well as a slightly higher dark gray one, which I use in the winter but for the hot days of summer the shorty is better and it's easy to see over this dinky little thing. Doesn't matter that you can't see through it because it is such a perfect match for the bike's murdered out black looks but then that's a different type of cool. The great thing about the F6B is that you can take it in any direction you want and it's always a great ride. May be my favorite bike of all time but at 63 I hope to still have time for a few more. Variety really is the spice of life.

You might recall from earlier in this thread that Madstad shipped me the 2" taller GL1800 Base Shield by mistake. Mark of Madstad after realizing what had happened wanted to ship me the shorter F6B Base Shield and I said No Thank You to that. The taller Base Shield (taller by approx 2") allows you to use the full 3" of up and down adjustment. When my 11" Outer Shield is in the Full Down position the bottom of the Outer Shield is approximately even with the faring shield gasket which looks aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. In the Full Up position the top of the Outer Shield is approximately 14 inches above the faring gasket (nice usable adjustment range).

With the 2" shorter Base Shield the bottom of the Outer Shield will be approximately 2 inches below the faring shield gasket which does look right in my opinion. Secondly, I have talked to at least one other owner that found having the shield all the way down with the shorter Base Shield seemed to choke off air flow between the Outer Shield and Base Shield degrading overall wind protection.

I'm not sure why Mark at Madstad is reluctant to use the taller GL1800 Base Shield on the F6B???? In my opinion it looks good and provides great wind protection through out the Outer Shield's entire range of height adjustment.

In talking to Mark it's pretty clear their F6B shield is a new product and that Madstad is relying entirely on customer feedback as they develop this product. I hope everyone here will be sure to give Mark feedback on their likes and dislikes as I have.

My 11" shield in the Full Down position.

Thats nice and low, but does it pop the wind all the way over your head?
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Thats nice and low, but does it pop the wind all the way over your head?

With the shield all the way down I do get some wind which is nice on Hot Days doing 50-60 mph. For interstate riding I usually run the shield adjusted about 1 inch up from what is shown in the photo (still very low but max wind protection). Wind goes all the way over the Head at 6'-2" tall.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that if you happen to get the 2" shorter Base Shield then the bottom of the Outer Shield will be 2" lower compared to what is seem on my bike. To me that does not make much sense (who wants to have the bottom of the shield that low) and limits how high the shield can be adjusted.

Taller Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 11" to 14" above the base of the faring gasket.

Shorter Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket.

In my opinion the taller Base Shield provides more usable vertical adjustment. Madstad will try to talk you into the shorter Base Shield so decide what works for you and order accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    With the shield all the way down I do get some wind which is nice on Hot Days doing 50-60 mph. For interstate riding I usually run the shield adjusted about 1 inch up from what is shown in the photo (still very low but max wind protection). Wind goes all the way over the Head at 6'-2" tall.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that if you happen to get the 2" shorter Base Shield then the bottom of the Outer Shield will be 2" lower compared to what is seem on my bike. To me that does not make much sense (who wants to have the bottom of the shield that low) and limits how high the shield can be adjusted.

Taller Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 11" to 14" above the base of the faring gasket.

Shorter Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket.

In my opinion the taller Base Shield provides more usable vertical adjustment. Madstad will try to talk you into the shorter Base Shield so decide what works for you and order accordingly.
    As part of our R&D effort on this, I Have an 11" on the way to me along with a new base. Your base is 2" higher than my short one and at my height of 5'10", I am 4 inches shorter than you are. The new base I am trying will be taller by half the distance between my short one and your tall one. In other words, 1 inch taller than mine and 1 inch lower than yours. With the 11" shield instead of the 13" I have now, I'm expecting to still get good wind protection as well as being able to lower the screen further out of my line of sight.