Madstad for F6B - Page 3
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Nah, I think it needs a little tweaking, and a shorter version would look better.

Would like to see the lower line of the upper shield match the fairing contour a little closer,,,,,
    I believe MadStad is 'aiming' for a 60 degree install. The lower contour might be a closer match to the fairing at that angle of rake, HOWEVER, I would like to retain, or be close to, the factory windshield rake. (Close to what we see in the pics.)

Hmmm. Still has to function, and another Vendor makes something similar where the top shield duplicates the OEM rake ONLY,,, unless you buy the optional rake hardware, which looks a bit, eh,, like an Erector Set!

I still want to see what eventually becomes of this application as its gotten rave reviews on many other bikes.

When I had my RG, the Madstad took over 10 high speed tries to get the perfect bubble I was looking for. Lots of adjustment, space between windshield and base, vertical, and angle of upper shield. In the end it was smooth and quiet @ 80+...

2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Once a person understands why it looks like it does, its a lot more 'attractive'!

I think it looks good on your RG!

FWIW, Previous bikes I've seen equipped w/Madstad that looked good/better than some other applications were the RG and Vic CCT. Very nice 'fit' considering what had to be done!

Off topic,,, D-shark, how are the Mick-o-pegs working out?

Have my Madstad installed and have put a few miles on it. I'm in the process of fine tuning it and so far things are looking good. Will be getting a lot more miles and some pics this weekend. I'm 5"9" to 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. Have the 13 inch shield. At first I thought it was going to be too tall but seems OK now. I look over the top of it. I talked to Mark today and asked about the 11 incher. He'd be happy to swap it out but now I think the 13" is probably best. Mark said that if the bottom of the shield is too high up from the bottom of the base plate, performance suffers. The 11 incher, for me, would probably have to be raised too high to work well. The large opening gap on the bottom would let in too much air flow. He said it would work best for guys in the 5"6" to 5"7" inch range. One thing for sure, the shield has sure cut down the wind noise in my Shoei. The picture in this thread of the Madstad on the RG shows what seems to be an ideal rake and opening gap on the bottom. Pics and more findings/opinion to come as I get some miles on this setup.

Cant wait to see the pics
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

looks good to me

D-Shark,

That thing looks kinda cool to me, and you're right; wait til you have to run your shield up for an upcoming dust storm, or down for a fogged up faceshield- it'll look BEAUTIFUL to you then!

God bless,

srkeet

Future users of this system will benefit from the 'test and tune' going on right now by D-shark and Bruce.

As can be imagined, it's a bit more involved than "slap it on and go" if you want the best results.

The 'reduced wind noise' is really a big draw for me. I currently run a 'Baggershield', and without the top shield 'up', the wind noise in my Shoei J-Cruise is pretty bad. Not really getting 'rough' air, but lots of 'high-velocity' air. 'Thunder' noise

The J-Cruise is a 3/4 helmet. I have a full-face RF-1100 which can be quiet on other bikes with all the vents closed, but haven't tried it yet as it's just now getting down into the 70's.

Keep us posted guys, and by all means, if you feel you have it pretty well dialed in, pics and descriptions of 'where its at' would be very appreciated!

Bruce, looking forward to more of your input. Did you get the Dark Grey? After thinking about it more I think I'm going to swap out my 16" for the 11". That will give me adjustment from 11 to 14 inches in height. Do you have the stock seat? Just wondering since Mark was so far off on the shield height for me? Just seems a waste not to be able to use the vertical adjustment built into the brackets. If I get a chance today I'll try to test out Marks claim that raising the shield too much reduces it's effectiveness. Since I'm already looking through what I have I'll just run it to the top of the 3" adjustment and see what happens.

In the end maybe I'll end up with two shields (11" for solo riding and 13" for two up)? Shields are easy to swap out, just 4 screws. This weekend my girlfriend will get a chance to see if the Madstad helps her at the passenger location? She rides herself but when riding two up with me loves the comfort of the F6B. I had the 11" Baggershield previously and she says there was just as much wind with that as on the back of my Road King and Heritage Softail.

One reason I went with Madstad was to avoid the curved top edge on the competitions shield which is not optically clear. Just thought that might be too distracting when the height is set just below your line of sight. Also I thought the Madstad brackets with height and rake adjustment looked better than the competition with height and rake adjustment.

In the photos I posted the shield is set at 55 degrees using an angle gauge I have for accuracy. The stock shield on mine was almost right at 45 degrees. So you can see that 55 to 60 degrees does not stand upright that much compared to the front fairing. The photos of the Goldwing on the Madstad sight appear to have the shield adjusted well beyond the 60 degree target which looks a lot more funky?

The brackets came assembled so that there is a 2-5/8" gap between the base shield and top shield which seems like a big gap??? The brackets have multiple holes which allow that gap to be reduced by moving the hardware to different holes in the brackets (these can be seen in my closeup photo). So the adjustment possibilities are almost infinite which is good and bad.

Mick-O-Pegs

Scotrod, I've learned over the years on my other bikes that for a tall guy like me I've got to be able to get my feet stretched out in front and down low on long rides. This distributes weight from my rear end to my thighs making a huge difference. Standard highway pegs are simply mounted too high for me so my thighs are not really supported by the seat. Kind of like sitting on a bar stool that is too short, my knees are too high and all the weight is on my tailbone.

The Mick-O-Pegs really get the job done for me. Getting on the pegs takes some practice but I can now transition to the pegs without having to look for then while doing 80 on the interstate. When on the pegs I can fully extend and stretch my legs. I have the KA model which go down and out and are recommended for taller riders. They have a bunch of different styles so choosing is not easy.

I also have the Kuryakyn Rider Mini Boards which help a lot compared to the stock Rider Footpegs. The Mini Boards are a bit lower than stock and allow a lot more fore and aft placement of your feet. Seems like I'll ride about 45 minutes on the Mini Boards and then go to the Mick-O-Pegs for about Five minutes and back to the Mini Boards. Seems like 5 minutes on the Mick-O-Pegs allows me to stretch my legs a back so that when I go back to the Mini Boards I'm good for another 45 minutes.