Clunk whenever I hit a bump

Thread: Clunk whenever I hit a bump

Clunk whenever I hit a bump

Little things like that can get on my nerves. My theory is that most of the noise is the center stand bouncing down and springing back up to hit the frame.
    Any thoughts-put some kind of foam or rubber cushioning?
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Does this bring back memories....had a clunk towards the rear of mine. Not sure where your clunk is. Stumped me for a long time. What I finally found was a plastic bag that I had loose allen wrenches in. It had gotten free and it broke open inside the left saddlebag. I thought it was external for the longest time, checking the center stand, looking underneath, checking for loose bolts. That's all it was...just saying. Empty the saddlebags and look carefully inside.
    Now, I have a slight clunk on larger bumps up front at times. "Wingn it" found that he had a loose fork nut where the bearings are. That could be a winter or early spring project for me to inspect. Another possibility for you.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Does this bring back memories....had a clunk towards the rear of mine. Not sure where your clunk is. Stumped me for a long time. What I finally found was a plastic bag that I had loose allen wrenches in. It had gotten free and it broke open inside the left saddlebag. I thought it was external for the longest time, checking the center stand, looking underneath, checking for loose bolts. That's all it was...just saying. Empty the saddlebags and look carefully inside.
    Now, I have a slight clunk on larger bumps up front at times. "Wingn it" found that he had a loose fork nut where the bearings are. That could be a winter or early spring project for me to inspect. Another possibility for you.
    Pinch bolts? Exactly what nut?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Pinch bolts? Exactly what nut?
    The stem nut, mine was so loose that it could be removed with my fingers. I had a whole thread posted on this and after I replaced the headset bearings with the All Balls and got "everything tight" my front end noises are gone!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...-at-4500-miles
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I mentioned a cluck in the front end when I dropped the bike off for rear brake recall.
    When I picked it up they had changed the steering head bearings all nice and quiet now.

Quote Originally Posted by lurking luddite View Post
    I mentioned a cluck in the front end when I dropped the bike off for rear brake recall.
    When I picked it up they had changed the steering head bearings all nice and quiet now.
    See, I think Honda has some issues with a handful of bikes out there. There are way too many people complaining about the front end clunking and there is no way people have enough miles to have worn out the bearings yet, a few yes but generally most have not. Mine started at around 4500 miles and it was bad when I got in there, everything was really loose. It's not fun to get to the stem nut/bearings but if you have unexplained front end clunking/clacking you should at least have them checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    See, I think Honda has some issues with a handful of bikes out there. There are way too many people complaining about the front end clunking and there is no way people have enough miles to have worn out the bearings yet, a few yes but generally most have not. Mine started at around 4500 miles and it was bad when I got in there, everything was really loose. It's not fun to get to the stem nut/bearings but if you have unexplained front end clunking/clacking you should at least have them checked.
    Yea.. it's always something with these bikes. First the rear differential low on gear oil; then brake recall... then radiator hose clamp coolant leaks, now improper assembly of the head stem bearings... Is a huge pain it the butt to check them. But I am getting GOOD at ripping this bike apart thank gawd.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Hey Terry Boyle, is Cougar boats still in production up there in Mississauga?

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    Little things like that can get on my nerves. My theory is that most of the noise is the center stand bouncing down and springing back up to hit the frame.
    Any thoughts-put some kind of foam or rubber cushioning?
    Hard to believe the center stand is making a noise.... unless you are jumping the B and there is no rubber bumper. There were some good ideals of where to look though....good luck !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Clatter

Had a issue with a rattle/clatter whenever I hit a bump! After checking the front end I found that some of the front fork "tupperware cover" were contacting each other. Removed the same and took some emery cloth and round file and "dressed"/"removed" the contacting edges".
    Problem cured! No more rattle/clatter. The noise is "amplified" through the shock/facia tunnel and really gets ones attention!

A pic of the contacting parts which had evidence of "chaffing"!

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0003.jpg