Superbrace review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbrace review

Superbrace review

Yes - I know this has been reviewed before but here's my aggressive rider review:

Here’s my quick down and dirty review.

Complaints prior:
    - front of the bike did not feel planted in turns or at high speeds (traction was not maximized), whereas the rear was.
    - lots of flex in the bars when hitting rough areas on the road
    - forks made a clunk noise when hitting multiple bumps in the road
    - when you let off the bars with both hands and apply the rear brake from 80 down to 20…the bars historically would wobble where you had to keep one hand on the bars.
    -while I don’t recommend doing this…technique often on long roads that I know I’m coming to a stop it’s great way to stretch out and relax your arms for a moment.

after install:
    - Issues above are all fixed – bike feels like it is on rails!
    - Wobble still exists when you let hands off the bars at 40 mph- may need to reset forks but the wobble is reduced at least by 70%

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_328 View Post
    Yes - I know this has been reviewed before but here's my aggressive rider review:

Here’s my quick down and dirty review.

Complaints prior:
    - front of the bike did not feel planted in turns or at high speeds (traction was not maximized), whereas the rear was.
    - lots of flex in the bars when hitting rough areas on the road
    - forks made a clunk noise when hitting multiple bumps in the road
    - when you let off the bars with both hands and apply the rear brake from 80 down to 20…the bars historically would wobble where you had to keep one hand on the bars.
    -while I don’t recommend doing this…technique often on long roads that I know I’m coming to a stop it’s great way to stretch out and relax your arms for a moment.

after install:
    - Issues above are all fixed – bike feels like it is on rails!
    - Wobble still exists when you let hands off the bars at 40 mph- may need to reset forks but the wobble is reduced at least by 70%
    Good review and I am happy for you, but anyone that takes one or both hands off the bars at any speed is just asking for trouble..Don't understand why anyone would want to create a possible bad accident...Been riding for over 50 years and never found the need to remove my hands from the bars of a moving motorcycle!!...Stretch out at stop signs or pullover to the side and do so....JMHO...Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Good review and I am happy for you, but anyone that takes one or both hands off the bars at any speed is just asking for trouble..Don't understand why anyone would want to create a possible bad accident...Been riding for over 50 years and never found the need to remove my hands from the bars of a moving motorcycle!!...Stretch out at stop signs or pullover to the side and do so....JMHO...Ride safe
    For Keerists sake Opas...

...it's not like he took his hands off of the bars to go make a sandwich or something. You can momentarily release your grip on the handlebars while still keeping your palms immediately over them (if needed), to check for any wobble/front end issues.

I just cannot believe that in 50 years of riding, you have never took your hands off of the handlebars at least once.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    For Keerists sake Opas...

...it's not like he took his hands off of the bars to go make a sandwich or something. You can momentarily release your grip on the handlebars while still keeping your palms immediately over them (if needed), to check for any wobble/front end issues.

I just cannot believe that in 50 years of riding, you have never took your hands off of the handlebars at least once.
    Nope never!!!....Had a close friend years ago that got killed doing this to be "silly", let go the bars to show off and he lost control of the bike as the front end started to wobble and down he went at over 40mph...He also was not wearing a helmet....May sound unusual to some, but I see no need to take my hands away from the bars while moving....Granted I may have loosened my hold on the grips a little at times, but always kept a least one hand on the bars.....Regards and ride safe

taking my hands off the bars to test for wobble is a more accurate statement.

In any event - when I ride my F6B it is to relax and have fun. I race off-road - not a place to play around.

https://www.instagram.com/craig_328/

this type of riding requires a lot more focus and use of levers, timing, and maneuvering through trees at 30mph that in some cases are 36" apart at best.

Think I might need to try one of these. Thanks.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Good to hear another happy Superbrace review.Have had mine on my 13 F6B for two years and it is one of the best bang for the buck items for this bike IMHO.Really gives the front end a tighter feel in high speed sweepers.Never had the front end wobble some others like you have experienced and I have ridden at hwy speeds with my hands off the bars and she is rock solid.The one other thing that made a big difference was running 40psi in the front tire-I know some feel it gives a harsher ride but it helped handling for me and much better tire wear.

I also have the superbrace and I felt the difference in "spirited riding" immediately.
    My inputs to the steering were given smooth feedback without any issues, and the front tire just felt better.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I don't know any of you guys, bit ya'll are better at spending my money than my ol' lady! Thanks!

Mike

I too have the superbrace with notable improvements. More than likely, that wobble is caused by the steering head bearings. I have a 0900 appointment in the AM to have these replaced with tapered bearings. It has cured previous bike issues, and I feel confident it will solve my f6b discrepancies! I will report back with my findings once I take it through it's paces!