Baker hand wings stop

Thread: Baker hand wings stop

Baker hand wings stop

I just installed the Baker hand wings, but the template for the mirror to add the stop, fits terrible. Just a test fit near where the cutout is doesn't look close to being full open. Does anyone have a measurement from the stop to the seam on the inside of the mirror cup? Or is the stop really even necessary? Thanks!

Mike

Wind will push the wing too far open.
    I've repeatedly adjusted the position of my wing stops to maximize breeze on hot days. If they are open too far or not enough, the wind isn't deflected to your face.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    I just installed the Baker hand wings, but the template for the mirror to add the stop, fits terrible. Just a test fit near where the cutout is doesn't look close to being full open. Does anyone have a measurement from the stop to the seam on the inside of the mirror cup? Or is the stop really even necessary? Thanks!

Mike

I had the same issues as you did. I didn't use the stop. As a matter of fact, the stop does not even install well on the bottom edge of the F6B's mirror housing. So I just left it off.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Attachment 24811
    It opens to about half way, to direct air into you. It's about the mid way point under the mirror. I don't have a closeup photo. They work perfectly in cold air. I wear gloves, so summertime cooling doesn't do much.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I too fiddled with my stop placement until I got it where I wanted it.
    I summertime, I've found that if I open the stop a bit more the wind goes right down the fairing towards the seat and up under the BeadRider on the seat, and that is a blessing.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Response for Baker

I had the same problem so I sent an email to Baker and this was their response... This worked for me.

Hi Ken, I spoke with Mike he’s our installer here. He told me to tell ya to line up the outside edge of Hand wing Stop with inside edge of handwing mount bolt. Adjust so Hand Wing will bring air in on you.

If you have any questions please give him a call at 1800-451-9464

Thank You

Brooke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

73 Yamaha RD350
    74 Suzuki GT750
    75 Kawasaki 500
    75 Honda GL1000
    95 Honda GL1500 Interstate
    13 Honda GL1800 F6B - Red Standard

Mine came with a template...seems to work OK...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Thanks guys! The template appears to be for pre 2012 mirrors. Took a ride this afternoon, they work very well! Now if I can find some hot air to funnel into the cockpit area, life would be grand!

Mike

FYI The template that comes with the hand wings won't work on the F6B. The mirrors are upside down! If you look at a full Goldwing the longer edge is on the bottom and on the F6B it is on the top. Just install the stop just to the outside edge of the mounting stud.

Love this forum

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    I had the same problem so I sent an email to Baker and this was their response... This worked for me.

Hi Ken, I spoke with Mike he’s our installer here. He told me to tell ya to line up the outside edge of Hand wing Stop with inside edge of handwing mount bolt. Adjust so Hand Wing will bring air in on you.

If you have any questions please give him a call at 1800-451-9464

Thank You

Brooke
    Just installed the Baker Hand Wings and I didn't have to go through trial and error (instructions for the 6 are not to good) because of this forum. You got to love it !!
    Purchased them from WINGSTUFF.COM with excellent service and delivery.