What's New
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's New

What's New

I went to the New York bike show yesterday and suffered some disappointments.
    BMW did not have their new 1600-B on display for one, but the biggest disappointment was meeting the head of Honda's marketing dept. and one of his in step workers.
    They confirmed that Honda was not discontinuing the f6b at this time but they would only be offering it in white this year.
    I pressed on as to why they are not promoting the B better. His only response was they do advertise in bike magazines.
    I suggested that they think about using the B as a basic build your own bike with a list of options that could be added at the dealers (giving the dealers extra business not to mention a new source of product income for Honda) and these could be added at the owners convenience and budget.
    I was told to go to their web site and there was an option to build your own bike. I never noticed that. Did you?
    I asked him if he was doing anything to respond to the few basic issues brought up regularly on this forum. Unfortunately, He didn't even know about this forum! Can you imagine in this day and age a Marketing director not knowing about a forum that is based on his product? Then he said he couldn't be worried about a relatively small group of people when Honda sells so many bikes through out the world. HMMMMM I always thought of us as a real good free test market!
    The good news is, he hinted that Honda is working on a totally new bike. Weather it's to compete with the new BMW 1600-B. and it's 160 horsepower could not be determined by a wink.
    Then again a hint is only as good as something you read on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I went to the New York bike show yesterday and suffered some disappointments.
    BMW did not have their new 1600-B on display for one, but the biggest disappointment was meeting the head of Honda's marketing dept. and one of his in step workers.
    They confirmed that Honda was not discontinuing the f6b at this time but they would only be offering it in white this year.
    I pressed on as to why they are not promoting the B better. His only response was they do advertise in bike magazines.
    I suggested that they think about using the B as a basic build your own bike with a list of options that could be added at the dealers (giving the dealers extra business not to mention a new source of product income for Honda) and these could be added at the owners convenience and budget.
    I was told to go to their web site and there was an option to build your own bike. I never noticed that. Did you?
    I asked him if he was doing anything to respond to the few basic issues brought up regularly on this forum. Unfortunately, He didn't even know about this forum! Can you imagine in this day and age a Marketing director not knowing about a forum that is based on his product? Then he said he couldn't be worried about a relatively small group of people when Honda sells so many bikes through out the world. HMMMMM I always thought of us as a real good free test market!
    The good news is, he hinted that Honda is working on a totally new bike. Weather it's to compete with the new BMW 1600-B. and it's 160 horsepower could not be determined by a wink.
    Then again a hint is only as good as something you read on the internet
    Bob, thanks for the report.

Yes, there's a place to "build your bike" but's only to add the three options (center stand, grip heat & butt chock) to a Standard.

Did you give him one of our business cards??? If not, what's his name and I'll make sure he know who we are!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    I asked him if he was doing anything to respond to the few basic issues brought up regularly on this forum. Unfortunately, He didn't even know about this forum! Can you imagine in this day and age a Marketing director not knowing about a forum that is based on his product? Then he said he couldn't be worried about a relatively small group of people when Honda sells so many bikes through out the world.

I call ...... Bull-

Mother Honda has had 4 registrations on our website for several years.

see attachment ....

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Well Phantom, it might not be the "head of Honda Marketing" that has any of those accounts.
    In fact, it's probably a hard charging minion (or two, three, four) that is monitoring us for "quality and training purposes."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I call ...... Bull-

Mother Honda has had 4 registrations on our website for several years.

see attachment ....
    What your showing me is Honda's site not the director of marketing's

American Honda Names Chuck Boderman VP, Motorcycle Division ...
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/.....cle-division-v...
    Apr 3, 2015 - American Honda Names New Motorcycle Division V.P. ... dealer development and marketing before being named Assistant Vice President in ..

I can't say for certain if this is the guy. He wouldn't turn over his name tag that he had strung around his neck when I asked for his name, but three different exhibit workers pointed him out as the director of marketing.

... He wouldn't turn over his name tag that he had strung around his neck when I asked for his name...
    And they put this guy on a Trade Show floor at an International Event?

I've spent more than my fair share of time representing major manufacturers at trade show exhibits... Who you are is often more important than what you say.

If this guy wouldn't tell you who he was, I wouldn't believe a thing he said (even if he had the title to back it). You were talking about a fundamental change in the way a manufacturer disburses its products to the consumer, and he points you to the "build your own" on their website?

He obviously didn't get it.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    What your showing me is Honda's site not the director of marketing's
    What I was pointing out is that he is full of Bull Poop, I would doubt and question his answers.
    Honda has been on our site since 2013, from 4 different registrations including one from Japan.
    I would venture to say that they DO INDEED read these forums to get feedback. I cannot confirm which departments have been on here.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    What I was pointing out is that he is full of Bull Poop, I would doubt and question his answers.
    Honda has been on our site since 2013, from 4 different registrations including one from Japan.
    I would venture to say that they DO INDEED read these forums to get feedback. I cannot confirm which departments have been on here.
    I agree with Phantom..The guy you saw/spoke with is "full of it"...Most guys at the top levels rarely appear at local events unless there is a major reason to be there and, in general, do not talk with people just touring the show and looking!!!....The person you were speaking with was, in my opinion, was just a "cog-in-the-wheel type" trying to impress those around him. The New York show may be an International event with some good clout, but I still doubt the guy you referred to had a clue what was going on.....Ride safe

I was at the show today and was disappointed as well, but I have been for years. The show gets smaller every year with less to look at.

No Moto Guzzi booth at all ( I really wanted to see the Flying Fortress up close) and as Bob said no BMW new bagger at BMW. Also only one Wing and one F6B in all of Hondas booth. Although HD, Indian and Victory had plenty to look at and sit of if you so desired. Even Kawasaki had a couple Vaquero's to climb on.
    Oh well I guess I will have to check the local dealers.

But for me the show is just a reason to go to the City and walk around during the Holidays. Times Square and Rockefeller Center this time of year is favorite of mine.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.