Best replacement windshield? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best replacement windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Hi Opas, well I have a proven track record of picking the wrong women. I hope
    I'm better at picking a windshield than I am at picking women!
    Thanks for the link & the pic Santa. Sorry but I don't care for the looks.....
    Santa wants to know if you pick women based upon looks or functionality? Lol!

Best of luck to you!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Santa wants to know if you pick women based upon looks or functionality? Lol!

Best of luck to you!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    If you saw my ex wives you would think my answer is "functionality", so I've switched tactics.

I know, TMI, eh?

Black Plastic

Thanks Dave,
    I think your photo and feedback may have helped me to make up my mind.

One quick unrelated question: I suspect the black plastic on my new bike may be a bit faded. Yours looks brand new. Do you use Mothers Back to Black to keep it looking good or...?
    Nice looking bike dude!
    Actually, I took that picture when the bike was less than a week old. But I've been able to keep it looking great. On the plastic I don't use anything special, usually some of those treated protectant wipes I buy at WalMart.

Wow, it seems everyone has a different opinion on this one. I love the price of the baggershield adjustable, only $139!
    My concern with that shield is if dirt or grit gets between the 2 shields and you raise or lower the extension, don't you get scratches in one or both pieces? I'm also not too keen with the fact that one shield is tinted and the extension is clear. I'd prefer to have both pieces smoked, though I realize having the extension clear is because when it's raised you will be looking through the shield instead of over it.

I like the looks of the F4shield but the price, yikes! I like the scratch resistant properties and the fact I can clean it with paper towels and Windex if I want. I'm basically lazy when it comes to cleaning the bike and will take the easy route if given the opportunity. I had a Vulcan Nomad and scratching the OEM shield was a BIG problem! I suspect the baggershield will be made of the same easily scratched material as that shield and therefor my comments about scratching when raising & lowering the clear extension.

I live in Bend, Oregon where there are 4-5 months each year where riding is not safe (snow & ice on the roads) and we rarely hit over 100 in the summers, so I doubt I'd need a vent. I've been riding an M109R with no shield here for 10 years and don't miss not having one, but then again I got the F6B so I would have the ability to take road trips so.... (yeah, I'm rambling, this is how I work through things, I've been accused of over thinking things, LOL!)

I like the one that the first Steve mentioned, the Klock Werks Flare. The shorter one of those in dark tint may be my best choice, but I'd hate to spend $300 on something and not be able to try it out first. How scratch resistant is this shield? Does anyone know?

Attachment 24906

Also, the clear view shield, 14" or 16", dark smoke, sport, with recurve and no vent is only $155-$165, so the price is right. How scratch resistant is that one?

So many good choices, so much valuable advice. What's a guy to do?

Thanks guys for the advice. Keep it coming!
    I have a Baggershield that I no longer use because when inverted the two pieces rub together which made a very annoying mark that is right at eye level on the top section when it is in the up position.

I then went with the Madstad and seriously doubt that I could find anything that I like better.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I ordered a Klock Werks shield before I took delivery of my F6B. I liked the looks that much. To my pleasant surprise it works quite well for me. That re-curve at the top is very effective. And it looks great.

Hey Dave, how tall are you? I'm about 5'9" and am seriously considering the same shield as you. Thanks!

I doubt you will find any one windshield that fits all of your needs, period!!..Windshields, seats, bars, pipes, etc. are more of a personal preference as each one has its own style, price, assets, issues, etc....As I said on an earlier post, the Baggershield on my bike works just fine for me and does what I need it to do, as a result I have no reason to try others...Buy what you feel most comfortable with and enjoy your ride...Regards

Windshields are quite unique

I knew when I saw the topic of the post, it would ignite a lot of opinions, so here goes

The windshield that is on there could be the Wind-bender as one of the others stated. If that is true, you will find they work VERY well for decreased turbulence, and a nice air pocket for the rider. I have one on my bike, as it was recommended by a lot of people, and it truly is one of the most functional windshields you can buy.

They look a little awkward, but work well.

One stated - do we pick a woman because she looks good, or is functional? I would tend to go with the good looking one over the functional one. I have had them both, one supermodel good looks, the other one functional as get out...she even washed my bike for me while I went out riding all the time and brought home a messed up bike. So I messed her hair up during the night, just to make me the real pig of the relationship!

Anyway, wish there was the Harley Davidson way, whereby you visit the dealership and can try a variety out yourself before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    I knew when I saw the topic of the post, it would ignite a lot of opinions, so here goes

The windshield that is on there could be the Wind-bender as one of the others stated. If that is true, you will find they work VERY well for decreased turbulence, and a nice air pocket for the rider. I have one on my bike, as it was recommended by a lot of people, and it truly is one of the most functional windshields you can buy.

They look a little awkward, but work well.

One stated - do we pick a woman because she looks good, or is functional? I would tend to go with the good looking one over the functional one. I have had them both, one supermodel good looks, the other one functional as get out...she even washed my bike for me while I went out riding all the time and brought home a messed up bike. So I messed her hair up during the night, just to make me the real pig of the relationship!

Anyway, wish there was the Harley Davidson way, whereby you visit the dealership and can try a variety out yourself before you buy.
    Thanks opas and Miks. I realize that opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink!
    I know that everyone will have different tastes and what they think looks good or not. Some people (like me) will care more about how it looks as opposed to how it functions, and I care more than most about how durable it is, how easily it scratches, etc.
    I guess I wanted people to say "I have shield A: and it fits good, looks good and blocks the wind very well" and hopefully someone will say which shields they've used and didn't have good luck with (I think I've only heard one person say they didn't like a shield that had, and it was the baggershield, and the issue was exactly what I knew it would be, with 2 pieces sandwiched together, it would hard to keep 1 or both pieces from getting scratched). SO if everyone is happy with their shield, I should just get the one that has the best looks IMO and costs what I want to spend and hope I like it as much as everyone else does. So far I think I might go with the clear shield, short, dark smoke with recurve. It's one of the cheapest, looks awesome, and I can test it and return it if I don't like it, assuming I leave the protective film on it and am careful installing it so it doesn't get damaged.
    Anyway, thanks everyone for all of the advice.

I'm coming in to this discussion late... and with very little experience. I'm still waiting for the arrival of my F6B from Kansas (pending shippment). I bought it with an 11/19 Baggershield installed, and the sale included the factory windscreen, as well as a Slipstreamer Tall Clear with Vent. The only F6B I have experience with was the rental that I did for a day in Huntington Beach. It had the Madstad, and although it worked well, I was not thrilled with all the hardware that hung off the device.

Anyway, I've said all that, to ask this; has anyone had any experience with the Taka Recurves? They are very inexpensive, and look similar to other more expensive shields.

... I've been riding an M109R with no shield here for 10 years and don't miss not having one, but then again I got the F6B so I would have the ability to take road trips so....
    D-Train,

I also came from an M109...had it fitted with a Corbin fairing, and a taller aftermarket Long Ride windshield. No matter how I monkeyed with it, I could not get rid of the buffeting at speed.

When I picked up my F6B, it already had the Madstad installed, but that was what I was looking for. The Madstad has been impressive...quiet, no buffeting, and keeps the rain off at speed. In the Pacific Northwest, thats desirable. The loudest thing on my highway ride home was the noise from the 18 wheeler' tires on the road going the opposite way.

In town, I can drop the Madstad manually during a red light stop. Can't recommend it enough.

Good luck with your decision!

C