Linked brakes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linked brakes

Linked brakes

So out of curiosity, do you riders use both front and rear brakes when stopping or do use front or rear only?
    I have been using both but I get a hot brake smell from the rear and the recall has been done.
    There is no drag from the rear brake when on the c stand,I can spin the wheel by hand easily.

Did you pump the rear brake pedal fully 5 times, and then attempt to spin the wheel while on the center stand (that's the test for the sticking rear brake).

I normally use both front and rear brakes when slowing down.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I generally use both, and sometimes downshift as well.

Two different issues:
    1. Hot brake smell from the rear. All the time? Every ride? Once in awhile? Is this under normal braking or severe braking? If normal braking, I'd definitely do as Will suggested and see if things aren't dragging even just a bit as that will heat them up and them normal braking exacerbates the situation. Should never smell your own brakes under normal use.

2. Which brake to use.
    For maximum braking efficiency, always practice using both brakes. That way, in extremis, your muscle memory will kick in and you'll brake as best you and the bike are able.
    Realizing that as you brake, the weight shifts forward to the front tire. The front brake can be up to 70% of your stopping power because of this shift, so learn to use it properly.
    The corollary is that as the weight shifts forward, this unloads the rear tire weight, making the rear tire more susceptible to locking up. Skidding the rear tire isn't an epic issue, but it doesn't give you maximum braking.
    Practice "threshold braking" - taking both brakes to the "I'm-almost-skidding-both-tires" point. The tires will talk to you. They will howl as they are approaching skidding. Learn to listen to your bike and PRACTICE doing this from "typical, normal" speeds.

For more fun and games, sign up for the one day MSF Advanced Rider Course. 8 fun exercises that will put more tools in your toolbox and give you things to practice that aren't slow speed maneuvering in a 20' box. (Which the F6B is more than capable of, by the way)
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I will try the 5 pumps of the rear brake and see if that does it.
    Never had a bike with linked brakes, and have always used both for stopping so I wasn't sure if using the front and a slight amount of rear was over loading the rear being it already getting applied from using the front.

Quote Originally Posted by speeddrive1 View Post
    Never had a bike with linked brakes, and have always used both for stopping so I wasn't sure if using the front and a slight amount of rear was over loading the rear being it already getting applied from using the front.
    Ahh. Even different question! No, not at all. The bike was engineered for both brakes to be utilized simultaneously.
    The rear brake pedal actuates a front caliper piston as well.....

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by speeddrive1 View Post
    I do not have a F6B yet but do have a VTX-1800 with linked brakes. It does not apply rear brake when pulling the front lever. It actuates four of the six existing pistons on the front calipers. The only link is the pedal for rear break will apply the rear caliper and the other 2 of the 6 pistons on the front calipers. If Honda uses the same system for the B then no danger of over using/loading the rear break. Additionally 53driver is correct that you need to use both front lever and rear pedal to get the most braking power, that is the only way to use all pistons. I have never had a problem with too much front brake using only the rear pedal. Please someone tell me if Honda is using a diff linked brake system on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I do not have a F6B yet but do have a VTX-1800 with linked brakes. It does not apply rear brake when pulling the front lever. It actuates four of the six existing pistons on the front calipers. The only link is the pedal for rear break will apply the rear caliper and the other 2 of the 6 pistons on the front calipers. If Honda uses the same system for the B then no danger of over using/loading the rear break. Additionally 53driver is correct that you need to use both front lever and rear pedal to get the most braking power, that is the only way to use all pistons. I have never had a problem with too much front brake using only the rear pedal. Please someone tell me if Honda is using a diff linked brake system on this bike.
    Yes, on the F6B actuating the front brake lever will cause the left front caliper to pivot upwards, engaging the anti-dive mechanism which also will route fluid (pressure) to the proportioning valve. That in turn will apply pressure to the pistons in the rear caliper.

It's a hot mess.

So in the way you described your VTX's system, the F6B is different from it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Braking

To correct a misnomer that was mentioned earlier. Locking up the brakes is actually the most effective way to stop as this does several things. It maximizes the kinetic energy being dissipated by both friction and heat. The tire heats ups, displacing some of it's rubber to the road service, which then allows the following tire to grip better on the rubber coated road surface(skid mark), additionally the rubber leaving the tire surface piles up in front of the wheel (snow plowing), aiding in shorten stopping distances.

Having said all of this, it's also the most dangerous way to stop as a stationary tire has no means of steering or assisting in the maneuvering of the bike. As a result and I believe this is what the previous author meant, was that keeping the wheel at the limit of rotating adhesion is the best way to stop quickly. Hence ABS keeps the wheels at the threshold of lock up, maximizing braking efficiency while also keeping the tire rolling, allowing for steering input. The linked braking system is designed to put those braking forces proportionally at the right wheel as was said earlier, the front brake takes on the lion share of the braking once the inertia shifts forward.

Honda has always been a safety leader in both cars and bikes. I don't understand why everywhere else in the world, the F6B has ABS standard except in the US. Strange marketing choices.

Ok, did the 5 pumps of the rear brake and immediately could spin the rear tire by hand with no problem.