Linked brakes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linked brakes

Quote Originally Posted by speeddrive1 View Post
    So I sat on the bike last night in a normal riding position and just don't think that I could be riding the rear brake. I also wear a size 9 boot my toes when on the bike are slightly pointed out completely clear of the brake pedal.
    Unfortunately it is too cold to ride right now but in the spring I will get my infrared thermometer out and take some temp readings of the rotor and driveline to see if anything is actually getting hotter than it should.
    The rear pedal is on a spline with multiple small notches. If you think you may be subconsciously riding the pedal you can move it upwards one notch. That should keep your foot from shifting left and hovering over the pedal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    The rear pedal is on a spline with multiple small notches. If you think you may be subconsciously riding the pedal you can move it upwards one notch. That should keep your foot from shifting left and hovering over the pedal.
    Be VERY, VERY careful when reinstalling the rear brake pedal on the spline if you do this. The splined shaft will EASILY push into the frame; and it's a REAL BITCH to get it pushed back out.

Been there, done that

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Be VERY, VERY careful when reinstalling the rear brake pedal on the spline if you do this. The splined shaft will EASILY push into the frame; and it's a REAL BITCH to get it pushed back out.

Been there, done that
    This is true, make sure you remove the locking bolt on the brake pedal, don't just loosen it, take her all the way off. Then pull the pedal and reinstall gently without the bolt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    This is true, make sure you remove the locking bolt on the brake pedal, don't just loosen it, take her all the way off. Then pull the pedal and reinstall gently without the bolt.
    AND... to fully remove the locking bolt from the rear brake pedal.... you have to remove the entire right side driver's peg bracket...

Ain't the bike a fine specimen of Nipponese engineering?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Thanks fellas for the ideas. I honestly don't think I could be riding the brake cause if I barely touch it the tail light comes on and that would kick the cruise off. I haven't had any problems with the cruise kicking off yet. I really do like the bike and maybe I am making something out of nothing but I haven't heard of anyone else having a hot smell coming from the rear area of their bike.
    -20 forecasted for Saturday night so I doubt that I will be riding the bike any time soon, it's snowmobile season!

Thanks fellas for the ideas. I honestly don't think I could be riding the brake cause if I barely touch it the tail light comes on and that would kick the cruise off. I haven't had any problems with the cruise kicking off yet. I really do like the bike and maybe I am making something out of nothing but I haven't heard of anyone else having a hot smell coming from the rear area of their bike.
    -20 forecasted for Saturday night so I doubt that I will be riding the bike any time soon, it's snowmobile season!
    Do you have a center stand? Put your bike up on it and run it through the gears; using the rear brake as you normally would. Have someone observe the rear caliber. Pull in the clutch when you have it at speed and see if the wheel abnormally slows down without brake input. After running it for a bit; apply the brake one final time and then shut it down... and inspect the rotor and pads.

Be careful.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

So out of curiosity, do you riders use both front and rear brakes when stopping or do use front or rear only?
    I have been using both but I get a hot brake smell from the rear and the recall has been done.
    There is no drag from the rear brake when on the c stand,I can spin the wheel by hand easily.
    Just to eliminate a possible cause of a dragging brake, pull off the right side cover (above the brake pedal) and check the fluid level in the brake reservoir. Make sure it is below the max fill marking. If it is overfull, it could possibly (very rare) be preventing brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder as it warms up. Or - is there any chance you have worn out the pads and are smelling metal on metal?