Took delivery of my F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Took delivery of my F6B

Looks like you have Muth Mirrors with built in turn signals.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Op was this bike a wreck and restored by any chance? Looks to me like the areas you've shown have been re painted without proper prep. I'm thinking damaged and repaired....... but I'm far from an expert.
    I seriously doubt it because what kind of a wreck would damage only the gas tank? I can't imagine such a scenario. The bags, fairing, crash guards etc are all in excellent shape. Those would be the things that would be damaged in a wreck and the dealer says they've done a complete inspection and the bike has never been wrecked. I did ask them if there was such a thing as a Carfax for bikes and they said no.

I wonder how much work it would be to pull all of the painted parts off of the bike and change colors? I'm sure I could have it repainted for about $1000. I'm really infatuated with the metallic blue of the 2015 model. I'm sure if I had the whole thing repainted that color then I would be even more stoked than I already am about my new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    On my black 13 the top edge of the gas door was starting to look like yours. Between the bottom edge of the center cubby contacting and the cubby mounted map pouch I ended up putting the Show Chrome black gas door trim on to cover up the paint damage. Even that part was showing ware. On my 14 yellow I've put a clear film protector on the top area of the gas door and replaced that twice in 5,000 miles. Take a close look at your gas door there may be a clear cover on it. To me it looks like some one may have had a map or gas door mounted pouch on it. The left edge of the shelter looks like there may have a cable from the headset jack riding on the paint. Congrats on the new ride.
    I'll have to go out and take a closer look, but it looks like all of the edges of the fuel door are missing paint, but the thing that bothers me the most is all of the gas tank paint has that orange peel effect going on. Does that necessarily mean that it has been repainted? Or did Honda just do a poor job on the original paint job?

The tank sides and fuel door do look like they have a clear plastic protectant film on them but I thought that was stock. The salesman seemed to imply that was on the tank where your thighs rub against the tank to protect the paint. Is that standard? Or is that something the original owner added himself and might that be the source of my problems?

Thanks guys for tolerating all of my newbie ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Looks like you have Muth Mirrors with built in turn signals.
    OK I am going to show just how ignorant I am really now, don't the stock mirrors have built in turn signals? Or are those just running lights? What is the difference and how can you tell from my pics? Thanks for the info!

Oh you mean turn signals IN the glass, not the backside of the mirrors!

http://wingstuff.com/shop/muth_mirro...electrical-f6b

Now I gotta go out and take a closer look. I also gotta check for a center stand that my dealer said was "serviced"? I got a "Motorcycle & ATV Safety Checklist" from the dealer where everything is checked off. At the bottom of the list they wrote: "Replaced Bad Headlight Bulb", "Replaced Left & Right Foot Peg Pads", "Fixed Center Stand". So obviously it has one. I wonder what was wrong with it that it needed "fixing"?

***OK upon further inspection of the paperwork it says "replaced center stand spring". So maybe it was dragging on the ground when riding. I bet that sent up a shower of sparks! ***

Also, for the 24K service, the total came to $660 for labor and $134 for parts, $15 shop supplies and $55.44 Tax for a grand total of $864. I paid $325. They put in new oil and filter, coolant, 6 new spark plugs, new air filter and new brake fluid. They also wrote "Front Brake Pads are at 85%, rear are at 70%". Everything else on the 24K check list either says "ok, lubed, or replaced".

It looks to me like maybe somebody mounted a tank bag of some sort that didn't do so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    It looks to me like maybe somebody mounted a tank bag of some sort that didn't do so hot.
    I agree, that would be my guess too! I wonder if the previous owner tried repairing the damage himself or..? Is the clear plastic film on the sides of the tank OEM or did he add that himself perhaps? Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Keep it coming!

I assume from your name that you are a fellow Oregonian in Portland? If so are you getting any riding done?

Congrats on the bike and welcome to this great forum.

My observation is the previous owner added 3m protective film to the tank and that's what you are seeing peel or bubble. Not hard to repair. It's made to come off, clean up your paint, if unhappy with oem paint, you can add protective film back.

I'd normally be riding in western Oregon now, but we just got our usual white Christmas storm here too.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Congrats on the bike and welcome to this great forum.

My observation is the previous owner added 3m protective film to the tank and that's what you are seeing peel or bubble. Not hard to repair. It's made to come off, clean up your paint, if unhappy with oem paint, you can add protective film back.

I'd normally be riding in western Oregon now, but we just got our usual white Christmas storm here too.
    Thanks for the info, I doubt the film will come off too easily in 25 degree weather, I may have to wait for it to warm up or use a hair dryer, or I have a heat shrink gun that's like a really hot hair dryer that I can maybe try. It definitely has that clear 3M film on it, hopefully the "orange peel" look is from that and not the paint. But the edges of the tank and fuel door still are bare so that's an issue, but maybe some trim like another member suggested would fix that.

What city in Oregon are you in? The bike I bought came from Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA. They have more than 600 bikes on their sales floor!

Thanks for the welcome! Here's my favorite thing about Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Thanks for the info, I doubt the film will come off too easily in 25 degree weather, I may have to wait for it to warm up or use a hair dryer, or I have a heat shrink gun that's like a really hot hair dryer that I can maybe try. It definitely has that clear 3M film on it, hopefully the "orange peel" look is from that and not the paint. But the edges of the tank and fuel door still are bare so that's an issue, but maybe some trim like another member suggested would fix that.

What city in Oregon are you in? The bike I bought came from Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA. They have more than 600 bikes on their sales floor!

Thanks for the welcome! Here's my favorite thing about Oregon.

Yes, don't try to remove it in those temperatures.
    Check your Private Messages.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    I agree, that would be my guess too! I wonder if the previous owner tried repairing the damage himself or..? Is the clear plastic film on the sides of the tank OEM or did he add that himself perhaps? Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Keep it coming!

I assume from your name that you are a fellow Oregonian in Portland? If so are you getting any riding done?
    Portland adjacent yeah. I ride year round as a commuter, not much in the way of extra curricular miles in the winter time though. Like Dirtstiff said though this past week has been the exception as we endured Snowpocalypse '16.