Route 81 through Virginia?

Thread: Route 81 through Virginia?

Question Route 81 through Virginia?

Thinking of riding route 81 south through Virginia in May and wondering what to expect? Temperature? Stops along the way? Cheap hotels? Probably from Harrisburg, PA to Knoxville, TN.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Thinking of riding route 81 south through Virginia in May and wondering what to expect? Temperature? Stops along the way? Cheap hotels? Probably from Harrisburg, PA to Knoxville, TN.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark
    Exit 98 South Virginia has a relatively cheap Super 8 Motel. I stop there when driving the car from Ocala to NY because of The Bar/Rest. across the street. Its called Fatz Café and has great craft beer and really good food. Plus it's about halfway on my yearly journey to take my snow bird parents back to Oswego NY.

As far as riding 81, it sucks. Lots of trucks and traffic.

81 is a truckers highway at times... but it's not so severe that you are getting constantly stuck behind them. Just expect a lot of trucks.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I got hung up approaching Roanoke on a Sunday afternoon northbound....tons and tons of great biking roads off that highway.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I grew up in Roanoke in the 70's/80's and that road is trucker craziness. I drove it often in the 90's while in the Navy and I believe it's even more busy now. We stayed at a decent hotel in Wytheville, the Quality Inn and Suites. https://www.choicehotels.com/virgini...34?source=gyxt We stayed there last fall while travelling through.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Any better routes?

I will be riding down to Jazz Fest in New Orleans in a couple of weeks and had planned on taking Rt 81. I'm leaving from Philadelphia. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Time is not really a factor. I really don't want to just "white knuckle it" for 1200 miles = staring at the rear end of a truck. Thanks.

It wasn't that bad when I did it last September. If time isn't an issue, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sorry to offend truckers, but they're some dangerous out there. If they signal to change lanes, back off, because that was just a slight hint and they're going. That was my biggest take from my highway riding trip....always fun when they both take up two lanes up hill and cause a one mile backup.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I don't mind trucks and expressway. I prefer to cover a lot of miles and get to the next town. Traveling by myself I am not one to stop and take in the scenic areas. But say I were to get off 81 and riding about 100 miles of the BRP. What section would anyone advise? Could care less about curves. Thanks
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

The BRP around the Roanoke area is pretty nice. My favorite parts are from Stone Mountain NC area down to Asheville. It's pretty torn up in a lot of areas and some of it is just like riding by cow pastures.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

BRP is Therapeutic

After some time on 81 fighting the winds and cagers and doing the 80 mph dance with the big rigs....it really lowers the BP to get on the BRP for a while. Minimal traffic, low speeds, beautiful views, and wildlife really help. As long as you have the time. Just a refreshing side trip that makes the long trip bearable.