Where too in the NE??
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where too in the NE??

Where too in the NE??

On another thread there was some discussion about riding in the up coming season. That started me to thinking where do I want to go and why am I going. It's easy to say I just want to ride, but then I don't need a plan or time or even a date. Heck I don't even have to leave the neighborhood. Around and around the block I'll go but that will probably just piss the neighbors off. Us old people like to do that!

In the interest of commonalty I now ask where would you like to go? What would you like to see? What would you like to do? Sure it's great fun to ride with a group of friends, but I ask, isn't it more fun to shoot your gun when you have a target?

Can I get some input? Surly you've been somewhere that you would like to share with the rest of us. Maybe you'd like to repeat a ride that we did in the past, just to have a known destination and get together. How do you feel about an overnight 2 day trip so we can extend our range? If we start to plan now maybe you could even plan your next day off. After all April fools day is coming!

Questions to answer:

Suggest a Destinations
    Reason: Good roads
    Scinery
    FOOD
    Best day to plan
    Best time and place to meet

I'll just say this...I enjoyed all my rides from western CT to PA, to VT, to upstate NY. I'd repeat any ride I've done and venture further. Now, I haven't answered any of your questions! On these rides, I'm more of a follower. I'm not familiar with local stuff out there. I could be available for a weekend overnight. I do work every other Saturday morning.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I don't think that would be a day ride, so for the over night category I will throw in...... Welsboro PA
    I have heard of but never been to Welsboro. From what I hear there is a huge Canyon or Gorge to see and the riding is nice.

As for day rides.....
    Just to throw out a couple off the top of my head.

Although I ride the Catskills often it is still one of my favorite areas.
    Rt 28 thru the middle to Hickory BBQ in Woodstock is a great stop for lunch as is the Phonecia Diner on the East side, or
    Rt97 from Matamoras to Hancock with Lunch at the Circle E Diner or
    17 to 30 to the Old School House Inn & Restaurant in Downsville NY are favorites on the West side.

I hope that is what you were after Bob, otherwise forget what I said and I'll just follow you for a GREAT Cheese Danish and slice of Apple Pie again.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I don't think that would be a day ride, so for the over night category I will throw in...... Welsboro PA
    I have heard of but never been to Welsboro. From what I hear there is a huge Canyon or Gorge to see and the riding is nice.

As for day rides.....
    Just to throw out a couple off the top of my head.

Although I ride the Catskills often it is still one of my favorite areas.
    Rt 28 thru the middle to Hickory BBQ in Woodstock is a great stop for lunch as is the Phonecia Diner on the East side, or
    Rt97 from Matamoras to Hancock with Lunch at the Circle E Diner or
    17 to 30 to the Old School House Inn & Restaurant in Downsville NY are favorites on the West side.

I hope that is what you were after Bob, otherwise forget what I said and I'll just follow you for a GREAT Cheese Danish and slice of Apple Pie again.
    Piggyback on Dans idea.....continue north on 28 out of Woodstock past Margaretville then Rt 30 South and a trip around the Pepactin Reservoir leading us back to Rt 17 near the PA line

You can also look at Gettysburg, lots of history and great ride through the area
    of the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    You can also look at Gettysburg, lots of history and great ride through the area
    of the battlefield.
    I would love that trip. It was my brothers best vacation ever, but he's a Lincoln/Civil War buff....for you southerners, he's a "Northern Aggression" buff. You can tell this yankee has been down south.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

See there, there's all sorts of great ideas for rides.

Here's one follow up to the Gettysburg ride www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/[/url] idea, but that does lock us into a specific date and it wouldn't happen until July. Who's up for it then?

An earlier ride could be planned for either our usual meeting spot at the I-84 PA border rest stop around March 26 weather permitting. That's about when we started planning last year. We finally got the ride in around middle May. If it is planned for the cool early season I would recommend heading south (it could mean a 5 to 10 degree difference) back down to the Apple Pie bakery for danish at the Water Gap then on up to the Hotel for dinner. Then again I don't know how much weight an F6B can carry.

If it's later in the season or warmer head north up 97 as suggested by Dan. I like the way he thinks he mentioned a number of eateries we could test ride. It is a good thing we ride the bikes we ride.

As was mentioned there is a place out in western PA marketed as the "PA Grand Canyon" (due a Google) on rt 6. That one would have to be an overnight-er. But it could be combined with a stop at the state Elk park. Google!

Another overnight-er might be up into the Finger lakes region. However there might be some wine drinking involved.

One of my planned rides this year will be up to Laconia for bike week and then continue up to Mount Washington for a picnic around June 13.

OK, who's up for what and what dates should we start to planning for?

I'm in, all the rides listed sounds good to me. I enjoy the reservoir rides but that is planned when the weather is a little warmer.
    Gettysburg and the Pa Grand Canyon are going to be overnights, so that's a little more planning.

The first ride we did last year with Bob, Bob, Wayne and myself was a good day run.

As everyone else here I have some personal stuff to do, but I try not to let that get in my riding way. I will make the rides I can, and wish I made the rides I can't

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    I'm in, all the rides listed sounds good to me. I enjoy the reservoir rides but that is planned when the weather is a little warmer.
    Gettysburg and the Pa Grand Canyon are going to be overnights, so that's a little more planning.

The first ride we did last year with Bob, Bob, Wayne and myself was a good day run.

As everyone else here I have some personal stuff to do, but I try not to let that get in my riding way. I will make the rides I can, and wish I made the rides I can't
    Last years first ride was great, as was the pie and sandwiches

DSC_0001.jpgAttachment 25124

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Last years first ride was great, as was the pie and sandwiches

Attachment 25123Attachment 25124
    I used to ride the PA Grand Canyon years ago, great ride along Rt 6, highly recommended. I'd be up for that one too.
    As far as Gettysburg Bike Week, I parked bikes for 5 years straight there, great if you ride a Harley, it's all tailored for them, not allot to do really except walk around, look at parts and goodies and drink beer. Only live 15 miles away from Gettysburg. I'll pass on that one, but could meet up with a group for some good rides around the area if you decide to go.
    Tim