Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
Cool stuff, thanks for posting that stroguy! Though I was mistaken about the year. I was in from 83-89, and I remembered in was in April. 1 month before my son was born. They go on and on about how all of our weapons systems worked properly, well, except for our Phalanx/CIWS/R2D2 with a hard-on, for some reason it never activated when the Harpoon missile was inbound. Good thing we had chaff or things might have ended up differently. Our ship took the only casualty that day. A Cobra helicopter was deployed on our ship with 2 Marines onboard, it never came back. They found it on the bottom of the Gulf a couple of months later. I'm still not sure if it was shot down or if it crashed avoiding enemy fire. We can all thank Oliver North and his Iran-Contra fiasco for Iran having an American made Harpoon missile in the first place. That is one bad mamma jamma!! The only weapons we used that day were SM-2 missiles and our 5" gun. Both were very effective!

If anyone is interested, I've attached a copy of my DD-214. I only redacted my SSN.
Attachment 25194