Trump & veterans - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump & veterans

My wife and I both respect and honor Senator McCain's military career and especially the fact he survived the Hanoi Hilton.

But ......

His record as a senator has me questioning his judgement at times.

Trump is occasionally insensitive in some of his comments and I did not personally support what he said about the senator in question, but then again, sometimes political insensitivity is what is needed .....

https://youtu.be/wgSSRE27GQ0

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Here is the exact quote: “He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

Gee, you got me there. Guess I should get my facts straight.

Here's the rest of the facts in case you're interested:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...aptured-120317
    I'm Trump guy but thats bs. He was shot down over N Vietnam. Didnt do a Bo Bergdahl. He was sent on the mission by the powers that be. Those same powers decided to limit our offensive capabilities so it was even more dangerous on those missions. Plus he served years in that shithole and was tortured and didnt do a Jane Fonda. Thats a hero...... leave that other shit out about his politics afterward.

I can respect all people who put themselves in harm's way and still dislike their politics. One does not preclude the other.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Perhaps I should have worded my concerns in a differant manor. Will a president elect who speaks ill of veterans go after their benefits?

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Perhaps I should have worded my concerns in a differant manor. Will a president elect who speaks ill of veterans go after their benefits?
    With two or three retired Generals in his cabinet.....I would think that would not happen. Plus he got a large share of the military vote. Be tough for him to kick some of the folks who voted him into office. So far it appears he is rewarding those who supported him. Hope that stays true.

I hope this helps. Trump was baited and swallowed the hook in this confrontation. But he has a proven track record of supporting veterans groups monetarily. He has been critical of the current and former administrations for the lack of improvement for the VA. He has made promises to improve veterans benefits and has always been complimentary of the military and veterans. I believe him. Don't get wrapped around the axle from this one incident.

John McCain has been in the House for 36 years and has a less than stellar record lately of votes that help fund veterans organizations. He received a grade of 20 out of 100 from DAV for his voting record on the recent 10 years. I conclude that the politician McCain should be highly criticized. Naval aviator McCain will get my salute everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

From politifact:

CHARITY NAVIGATOR FOUR-STAR RATING

America's Vet Dogs, the Veteran K-9 corps, Inc., Smithtown, N.Y. Annual revenues: $9.1 million. Trump donation: $75,000

AMVETS, Lanham, Md. Annual revenues: $30.4 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Armed Services YMCA of the U.S., Springfield, Va.. Annual revenues: $36.4 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust, Cold Spring, Ky. Annual revenues: $8.1 million. Trump donation: $115,000

Fisher House Foundation, Rockville, Md., Annual revenues: $55.6 million. Trump donation: $115,000

Hire Heroes USA, Alpharetta, Ga. Annual revenues: $5.4 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Homes for Our Troops, Taunton, Mass. Annual revenues: $17.7 million. Trump donation: $50,000

Hope for The Warriors, Jacksonville, N.C. Annual revenues: $6 million. Trump donation: $65,000

Navy SEAL Foundation, Virginia Beach, Va. Annual revenues: $15.4 million. Trump donation: $465,000

Navy Marine Corps Relief Society, Arlington, Va. Annual revenues: $25 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Operation Homefront, San Antonio, Texas. Annual revenues: $62.2 million. Trump donation: $65,000

The Mission Continues, St. Louis, Mo. Annual revenues: $10.8 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Vietnam Veterans Workshop, Inc. (New England Center and Home for Veterans), Boston, Mass. Annual revenues: $11 million. Trump donation: $75,000

CHARITY NAVIGATOR THREE-STAR RATING

Achilles International, New York, N.Y. Annual revenues: $3.1 million. Trump donation: $200,000

Freedom Alliance, Dulles, Va. Annual revenues: $11 million. Trump donation: $75,000

The National Military Family Association, Inc., Alexandria, Va. Annual revenues: $3.9 million. Trump donation: $75,000

ELIGIBLE FOR CHARITY NAVIGATOR RATING BUT NOT YET RATED

Bob Woodruff Family Foundation, Inc., New York, N.Y. Annual revenues: $9.2 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Central Iowa Shelter and Services, Des Moines, Iowa. Annual revenues: $1.6 million. Trump donation: $100,000

Folds of Honor Foundation, Owasso, Okla. Annual revenues: $12.3 million. Trump donation: $200,000

Veterans Airlift Command, Minneapolis, Minn. Annual revenues: $5.6 million. Trump donation: $100,000

NOT YET ELIGIBLE TO BE RATED BY CHARITY NAVIGATOR

Green Beret Foundation, San Antonio, Texas. Annual revenues: $1.9 million. Trump donation: $350,000

K-9s for Warriors, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Annual revenues: $4.1 million. Trump donation: $50,000

Task Force Dagger Foundation, McKinney, Texas. Annual revenues: $1.1 million. Trump donation: $50,000

NOT REQUIRED TO FILE 990

22Kill, Dallas, Texas. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $200,000.

American Hero Adventures, Eugene, Ore. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $100,000

Americans for Independent Living: Cedar Falls, Iowa. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $100,000

Honoring America's Warriors: El Reno, Okla. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $100,000

Partners for Patriots: Sioux City, Iowa. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $100,000

Support Siouxland Soldiers: Sioux City, Iowa. Annual revenues: $33,970. Trump donation: $100,000

Veterans in Command, Inc., Jamaica, N.Y. Annual revenues: Not reported. Trump donation: $150,000

TOO SMALL FOR CHARITY NAVIGATOR TO RATE

Connected Warriors, Inc., Boca Raton, Fla. Annual revenues: $179,401. Trump donation: $75,000

Liberty House, Manchester, N.H. Annual revenues: $276,474. Trump donation: $100,000

New England Wounded Veterans, Inc., Boston, Mass. Annual revenues: $202,289. Trump donation: $75,000

Puppy Jake Foundation: Des Moines, Iowa. Annual revenues: $289,340. Trump donation: $100,000

Racing for Heroes, Inc., Beech Creek, Pa. Annual revenues: $227,542. Trump donation: $200,000

Warriors for Freedom Foundation: Oklahoma City, Okla. Annual revenues: $459,622. Trump donation: $50,000

NOT RATED BY CHARITY NAVIGATOR DUE TO ATYPICAL BUSINESS MODEL

Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, New York, N.Y. Annual revenues: $10.4 million. Trump donation: $175,000

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RATING BY CHARITY NAVIGATOR BECAUSE OF "NONTRIVIAL FUNDRAISING EXPENSES"

Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation, Tuckahoe, N.Y. Annual revenues: $3 million. Trump donation: $1,100,000

STATUS UNCLEAR

Foundation for American Veterans: West Bloomfield, Mich. Annual revenues: $8 million. Trump donation: $75,000

Veterans Count (Easter Seals affiliate in Kansas, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Vermont). Annual revenues: Not available. Trump donation: $25,000
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Thank you great info, just to bring this into relativity my retirement is paying for my F6B

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

The individuals that put their lives on the line to advance freedom don't deserve criticism.
    Ever? Not a military veteran but a 21yr LE Veteran and I don't think putting your life on the line buys you a free pass from criticism, especially when it was deserved. McCain was a veteran POW and fine, kudos to him (though some would dispute the value in his service and have) BUT he is a giant tool as a career politician

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    I can respect all people who put themselves in harm's way and still dislike their politics. One does not preclude the other.
    Thank you. I earned my combat action ribbon!

He has more than the VETS in his cross hairs

After watching Trump belittle McCain I truly fear my veterans benefits.
    this doesn't look too good - In case you missed it, here's the federal week in review:

1. Trump fires all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day. No exceptions.
    2. House brings back the Holman rule allowing them to reduce an individual civil service, SES positions, or political appointee's salary to $1, effectively firing them by amendment to any piece of legislation. We now know why they wanted names and positions of people in Energy and State.
    3. Senate schedules 6 simultaneous hearings on cabinet nominees and triple-books those hearings with Trump's first press conference in months and an ACA budget vote, effectively preventing any concentrated coverage or protest.
    4. House GOP expressly forbids the Congressional Budget Office from reporting or tracking ANY costs related to the repeal of the ACA.
    5. Trump continues to throw the intelligence community under the bus to protect Putin, despite the growing mountain of evidence that the Russians deliberately interfered in our election.
    6. Trump breaks a central campaign promise to make Mexico pay for the wall by asking Congress (in other words, us, the taxpayers) to pay for it.
    7. Trump threatens Toyota over a new plant that was never coming to the US nor will take jobs out of the US.
    8. House passes the REINS act, giving them veto power over any rules enacted by any federal agency or department--for example, FDA or EPA bans a drug or pesticide, Congress can overrule based on lobbyists not science. Don't like that endangered species designation, Congress kills it.
    9. Fired top administrators of the National Nuclear Safety Agency. There are no replacements named, and they'd need Senate confirmation anyway. Those two managed our active arsenal of nuclear weapons.
    each one of these was fact checked. Sigh.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For