New Sena Helmet - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sena Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I currently ride with an old, cheap HJC helmet. I will be purchasing a new one before Spring. I was planning on getting the $500 Schuberth on RevZilla (forgot the model, but it is supposed to be the quietest helmet on the market). However, with the Madstad windshield, I have been wondering if I need to spend that kinda money to get a quiet helmet. The Madstad has essentially eliminated wind noise and buffeting in most conditions.
    While you're helmet shopping at Revzilla, take a look at the Kabuto Ibuki modular helmet. It's a little less expensive than the Schuberth and has so many great features. While your point about the quietness provided by the Madstad is valid, there are other important features to consider in a helmet besides quietness.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    While you're helmet shopping at Revzilla, take a look at the Kabuto Ibuki modular helmet. It's a little less expensive than the Schuberth and has so many great features. While your point about the quietness provided by the Madstad is valid, there are other important features to consider in a helmet besides quietness.
    I've only considered quietness, safety, visibility and comfort. What else should I be looking for?

I've only considered quietness, safety, visibility and comfort. What else should I be looking for?
    I think you have it covered (pun intended), but I would change the order in which you listed them, comfort & visibility = safety and quietness would be my last concern.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Sena 20 S

Hornblower and I are running the Sena 20 S, and so far very happy with them. Line of sight 1 mile is great. I am running Xm sat radio thru 88.1 FM on the head set. Blue tooth beats the socks of CB!
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    ........Blue tooth beats the socks of CB!
    I hear that. I don't even have the patience for dealing with CB these days!

Btw, Slayer....greets from W/S!

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Just trying to help VStar...if this is a serious comment my answer would be the following but not necessarily limited to just these:

build quality
    aerodynamics to reduce wind buffeting
    ratchet-style quick fastener (on Kabuto)
    pin-lock
    optically distortion-free shields
    excellent speaker pockets
    easy to operate vents, shields, and modular front
    quick-change face shield
    room in front for mic
    space to insert glasses temple arms
    Ken (Hornblower)

Not sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Just trying to help VStar...if this is a serious comment my answer would be the following but not necessarily limited to just these:

build quality
    aerodynamics to reduce wind buffeting
    ratchet-style quick fastener (on Kabuto)
    pin-lock
    optically distortion-free shields
    excellent speaker pockets
    easy to operate vents, shields, and modular front
    quick-change face shield
    room in front for mic
    space to insert glasses temple arms
    Thanks. I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic. As I mentioned, I was interested in the Schuberth because I read that it was the quietest helmet on the market. At the time, I was riding my old VStar and was getting excessive noise and buffeting at times. I didn't pull the trigger because of the $500 price tags. With the B and Madstad, noise and buffeting are basically not an issue, even with my old cheap HJC (I think it was a $99 helmet about 20 years ago). I know I need an upgrade (well overdue) but I do not think a $500 helmet is necessary anymore.

I want most of what you mentioned, with a priority on comfort, visibility (both through the visor AND being seen by cagers) and safety. I find myself often riding with the visor open these days, so that's a must.

Maybe!

My mic just snapped at the joint for my Sena system. I need to look at replacing that. Maybe THIS is the ticket!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Thanks. I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic. As I mentioned, I was interested in the Schuberth because I read that it was the quietest helmet on the market. At the time, I was riding my old VStar and was getting excessive noise and buffeting at times. I didn't pull the trigger because of the $500 price tags. With the B and Madstad, noise and buffeting are basically not an issue, even with my old cheap HJC (I think it was a $99 helmet about 20 years ago). I know I need an upgrade (well overdue) but I do not think a $500 helmet is necessary anymore.

I want most of what you mentioned, with a priority on comfort, visibility (both through the visor AND being seen by cagers) and safety. I find myself often riding with the visor open these days, so that's a must.
    Good point about the Madstad on the B...you're really in a "pocket" behind the windscreen where there is little to no noise or buffeting. In my case, I'm also riding a Ninja 1000 where a quiet helmet with good aerodynamic design is highly desirable.
    Ken (Hornblower)

if I were buying a bluetooth helmet then the reason for buying it would be to replace sound coming out of the speakers and utilization of talking on a phone call. If the helmet can't last a 10 hr day of listening to rock and a occasional phone call then I'm not buying. Battery lifetime is my main concern if I'm spending the extra dough. All the other categories better be up to snuff!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt