Winter Storage Opinions for a Newbie - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage Opinions for a Newbie

In the winter I will rinse it off after a ride when there has been salt on the road. I decided a while back to just ride my bike not worry about how pretty it is. I do clean it now an then but I ride it all the time and just enjoy it. I know others have more miles but I am proud to say I have 13000 miles in the 7 1/2 months since i bought the F6B. I am more in love with it now than when I first bought it.
    Steve

The best thing about owning the F6B or a Gold Wing is that you really don't have to worry about putting too many miles on the bike and it wearing out. I think the best thing for the bike is to ride it all the time. If I put 15,000 miles on the bike a year for 20 years it will have 300,000 miles and I read about a guy who had over 500,000 with minimal maintenance. Plus I will be proud to have ridden that many miles and it would be worth every penny I spent on the bike. I am 55 so after 20 years if I am still riding at 70 I will deserve a beutiful new 2035 F6B.
    Steve

I would be 75 not 70 after 20 years.
    Steve

Winter Storage Opinions

I was thinking of just parking my F6B in Steve0080's garage for the winter, it's snowing here in Detroit today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    What a great tip about the rags in the pipes. I was out having a coffee in the garage this morning and had two little critters run across the floor. Step 1: Stuff rags in pipes Step 2: Go to war with mice.
    Something I have never read on this forum: spraying fogging oil or squirting oil through the spark plug holes into each cylinder to prevent rust inside the engine during winter storage.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Something I have never read on this forum: spraying fogging oil or squirting oil through the spark plug holes into each cylinder to prevent rust inside the engine during winter storage.
    The manual does not call for that, and I have never done that on any motorcycle. For a bike to sit for a few months... IMHO not needed but...

...if it's going to sit for longer than a year... sure; that would be a good idea.

I used fogging oil on my 200hp Johnson outboard when I put it up for the season... because the manual DID call for that preparation.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    The manual does not call for that, and I have never done that on any motorcycle. For a bike to sit for a few months... IMHO not needed but...

...if it's going to sit for longer than a year... sure; that would be a good idea.

I used fogging oil on my 200hp Johnson outboard when I put it up for the season... because the manual DID call for that preparation.
    I've always winterized outboards, mowers, any engine with a long off-season, using fogging oil as part of the routine. We have a seven month riding season up here, so the bike will likely sit for five months most years. Though, this year, the riding season has been extended, courtesy of El Nino. I say that, but it is snowing outside right now.

I probably won't do it because most don't and the owner's manual doesn't call for it. I did squirt some fogging oil in each cylinder of my VStar, though.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

My owner's manual does recommend removing the plugs and pouring a small amount of clean oil in the cylinders to prevent possibility of rust forming during winter months. Have a look at page 182/183 in the 'Storing Your Honda' section. Just finished with this procedure -- a PIA but figure it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    My owner's manual does recommend removing the plugs and pouring a small amount of clean oil in the cylinders to prevent possibility of rust forming during winter months. Have a look at page 182/183 in the 'Storing Your Honda' section. Just finished with this procedure -- a PIA but figure it can't hurt.
    You're absolutely right! 15-20cc fresh/new oil per cylinder!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    You're absolutely right! 15-20cc fresh/new oil per cylinder!
    Never saw that it the manual.. I must've glassed over it...

I stand corrected

At any rate... my bike doesn't spend too long out of operation; maybe two months at the extreme most... there's always a nice day here and there to ride it and skake any cobwebs off of it... unless the roads have been salted... so I'm not oiling up the cylinders. Just keep Seafoam in the gas tank and keep the battery on a tender.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537