Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
Is the stitching waterproof?
To quote the FAQ on the RDL site.

"Waterproof Cover

Q. You say that even your vinyl covers are not 100% waterproof because of the sewing machine needle holes. I’ve heard there is a way to make your Saddle waterproof by installing a layer of plastic or other waterproof material between the seat cover and the foam inside. Is this the best way to address this problem?

A. It is true that the sewing machine needle holes even in a vinyl cover render the material less than 100% waterproof. This is generally not a big problem because the holes are tiny and will not let much water pass through. Of course, if a bike is left standing in a downpour and water is allowed to puddle in the low spots of the saddle for very long then some water is going to have time to seep through the needle holes. Once this happens it will take a long time for the internal foam to dry out. None of this will cause damage to the vinyl, and the only possible damage to the foam innards is if the wet condition is allowed to persist until mold or mildew develops. If a saddle does get wet inside take it off the bike and stand it on end in a corner for a couple days, the water will gradually drain out of the foam. As always, an ounce of prevention=a pound of cure!

We’ve spent a good deal of time exploring various ways of water proofing our seat covers, including the one you mentioned. In the final analysis nothing compares with the flexibility, simplicity and effectiveness of utilizing the external rain cover which also provides additional benefits such as protection against sunlight, dust, morning dew, spillage, etc. The rain cover is made so that you can ride with it in place, and it provides all these benefits whether your Saddle is covered in vinyl, velour or leather."
http://www.day-long.com/faqs/

I have never had any problems with a wet saddle since I'm setting on it when riding in the rain and the whole bike is covered when I'm not on it and it rains.