Winter Riding Limits?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Riding Limits?

Winter Riding Limits?

I'm just wondering, what's the coldest weather you'll ride in and and how do you make it work for you?

'nother unrelated question, anyone know the best cold weather gear for working in northern Alaska, got a possible contract up there?
    ss^,
    Ken

I been caught in the teens on the bike before... Generally I call it at 25 degrees or actively snowing...You need to dress appropriately and heated gear makes a difference. I don't think there's one thing that works for everyone. I've had really good luck with FirstGear jackets, pants and gloves, but I'm also good for 45 or so in my leather with either the liner or a sweat shirt. As long as I keep my hands warm/dry I'm happy

Yep, 45 ish in normal riding gear.

Any colder and my legs start to suffer from frigid up drafts.

I'm headed out today. I don't have heated gear, so when it's below 40, it's too cold for me. Was supposed to hit 50, now saying 45.

I wear two tee's, one long sleeve, one short...long john's, jeans...a regular riding jacket with liner...I have Icon winter gloves, but maybe just leather gloves, I'll see how it is...regular riding boots. Feet haven't gotten cold yet. I will have neck protection too. If I start to get cold after that, time to go home. Hope to do 100 miles...I'll be happy.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I've ridden below zero, but I was younger and dumber. Until Christmas 2014, thermal/long underwear and leathers. Layers basically. Christmas 2014, my sweetie got me a full (from my feet to my upper body) electric gear from 1st Gear. Now I'm spoiled.
    Generally don't ride too often below 35-40 degrees F. However, lower temps won't keep me from riding. Usually a few times over the winter will start off in the 20s. Heated gear is where it's at for me. I can adjust how much heat I want with dual contol ( separate control for upper and lower body). It takes the chill away from what would otherwise just be a tolerated comfort level, if that makes sense. Gives me a soothing heated comfort.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Love to ride, but not a sucker for punishment anymore. Why be miserable.
    50 degrees lowest temp to start out and hoping for a heat wave by days end.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    Love to ride, but not a sucker for punishment anymore. Why be miserable.
    50 degrees lowest temp to start out and hoping for a heat wave by days end.
    Can't have those rules and ride much up here!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I'll be heading out in a few minutes here in CT. It is 28 deg at 8am but will warm up into the 40s. I have heated gear (vest, gloves and pants) so I am comfortable and can ride all day.
    Good gear, heated or otherwise, can be costly but well worth it if this is what you like to do. I ride every Sunday usually putting on a couple hundred miles as long as the roads are snow and ice free but now in my later 50s I have put a 25deg limit.
    With heated gear I only wear a t-shirt, heated vest and Tourmaster Jett jacket, then regular jeans and heated pants with silk and woll socks over good waterproof boots. and then heated gloves keep my fingers warm.

Total cost of all my heated gear is just part of my motorcycle life style, I see guys spend $1500 on chrome wheels and have frozen fingers because thay don't want to "waste" money on good gear.

I spent most my money on Women and Motorcycles, the rest I just wasted.

I think it depends a lot on where you live. In Arkansas, I can usually count on a few nice days during the winter and can wait until one comes along. For Example, Friday it was 68 degrees here!!

When things get cold and those days don't come along, then sunny with temps in the 40's or higher will work. We get a lot of those here, even when we are having a cold winter.

If I lived farther north, then I would have to modify that some and break out the heated gear!!
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

I've ridden across country in temps as low as 17 degrees. As long as the roads are dry and safe, I'm very comfortable when wearing the proper gear. Heated jacket liner, heated grips and/or heated gloves, heated socks and a full face helmet.
    I bought my first heated gear about 5 years ago (still using that set) and it instantly changed my outlook on cold weather riding. I don't like to ride short distances in cold weather, but going on a tour in the cold is a non-issue.

-Jeff