Winter Riding Limits? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Riding Limits?

About 25 degrees was my limit for my 10 mile ride to work when I had my Valkyrie.
    My legs would always be the coldest part but I wasn't dress for cold weather I was wearing blue jeans for work.

A lot depends on my mood. I will generally limit it to about 40 degrees as winter sets in. Here we use sand and a chemical when it snows. Once that happens you have to be concerned not only being too cold,but the residue in the road. So for noe ,my bike sits with Sea foam in the tank and a battery charger monitoring .I'm dying here...

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    Love to ride, but not a sucker for punishment anymore. Why be miserable.
    50 degrees lowest temp to start out and hoping for a heat wave by days end.
    +1 on the above...At 76 years old I ride for enjoyment not punishment...Riding in cold or raining weather is not my "cup of tea"....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    A lot depends on my mood. I will generally limit it to about 40 degrees as winter sets in. Here we use sand and a chemical when it snows. Once that happens you have to be concerned not only being too cold,but the residue in the road. So for noe ,my bike sits with Sea foam in the tank and a battery charger monitoring .I'm dying here...

Same here. The PMS is very strong right now....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Coldest you would ride, or ride while comfortable?

I typically draw the line at 50 degrees for what I consider a comfortable temperature to be out on the bike. With the F6B you get good wind protection on the legs, which is a big deal when you consider how to keep your core temperature normal.

For many years, I owned BMW motorcycles, and wore a heated vest. My K75Rt protected your legs, feet, and with the electric windshield, you didn't have a lot of air movement going across you. With just heated grips and a heated vest, I would do 200 mile days in the middle of winter...cars looking at me as the snow piled up in the ditches along the highways, never saw a Harley out on January days with highs in the low 30's when I was riding.

Over the years I purchased heated jackets that included the sleeves that provided warmth. For many years I was satisfied, but a few years ago I purchased the heated pants...which makes the heated jacket almost unnecessary at times. I decided to go full krackers and bought heated socks also, which meant anything above 35 degrees, you could ride a long way. Took the bike out yesterday, was 39 degrees with no sun showing due to overcast skies, and without a doubt, I could have ridden 500 miles.

This fall I went for a motorcycle ride with my college roommate who owns a 2015 Indian Chieftain. His legs our out in the wind, while I wore everything electrical I could plug in. Temperature was 40 degrees in fog, I was doing just fine although I was looking forward to the high of 65 like they had forecasted. Although he had multiple layers of clothing, about an hour out he was in tough shape and considered turning around. Had him put his rain pants on and hug the engine to keep as much heat as he could directed toward his body. We managed to get into the sunshine, which although not much warmer, made the trip feel a lot more comfortable.

There are some who take cold weather very well, then there is me I don't like to be cold, so for the most part, I will take all the electronic gear I can buy, and don't like doing that much riding below 50 degrees.

Carhartt Extremes Arctic Quilt Lined Coveralls

Concerning your cold weather question = I recently bought Carhartt Arctic Coveralls and could not be happier with their product. I keep them hanging out in the garage = just pull up three zippers and I am ready to ride. I have tested them while doing some extended riding, in below 30 degree temperatures, and honestly wanted to continue riding. If you watch any of those Alaskan Survivor type shows you will see guys wearing these outfits on their snow mobiles. I have actually had to unzip the front just to release extra body heat.

http://carhartt.com/products/carhart...uilt-Lined-X06

Plus, you don't need to rely on my advice alone; simply read the product reviews from all the guys up north.
    Edit: After submitting this post I went to the Carhartt site and added my own product review. That's how much I now appreciate the quality of this product.

Attachment 18630

Quote Originally Posted by BEIST View Post
    Concerning your cold weather question = I recently bought Carhartt Arctic Coveralls and could not be happier with their product. I keep them hanging out in the garage = just pull up three zippers and I am ready to ride. I have tested them while doing some extended riding, in below 30 degree temperatures, and honestly wanted to continue riding. If you watch any of those Alaskan Survivor type shows you will see guys wearing these outfits on their snow mobiles. I have actually had to unzip the front just to release extra body heat.

http://carhartt.com/products/carhart...uilt-Lined-X06

Plus, you don't need to rely on my advice alone; simply read the product reviews from all the guys up north.
    Edit: After submitting this post I went to the Carhartt site and added my own product review. That's how much I now appreciate the quality of this product.

Attachment 18630
    Carhartt is good clothing. The coveralls do not have the extended sleeve length though; that motorcycle jackets normally have.

How do you compensate that; with a disappearing sleeve length wearing those coveralls when you extend your arms out to the bars? Gauntlet type gloves?

If so... what kind?

Btw.. I am a proponent of Gerbings heated gear myself. But the insulated coverall solution intrigues me.

Looking forward to comments.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have been using Gerbing heated jacket liner for years with great results. I put over it Joe Rocket jacket and it feels great into 30's. I also have heated gloves, but I found them warm enough just the gloves alone, I rarely turn the heat on.

I am thinking of getting heated insoles and heated pant liners as well. Cyclegear seems to have good selection and prices on heated clothing.

In cold I also wear 3/4 helmet with face shield with leather/fleece neck/face cover.

I don't really ride in colder weather below 30's because living in Southeast it's not very often this cold and I'm also afraid of black ice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I see guys spend $1500 on chrome wheels and have frozen fingers because thay don't want to "waste" money on good gear.
    I spent most my money on Women and Motorcycles, the rest I just wasted.
    Big LOL on both of those statements!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Carhartt is good clothing. The coveralls do not have the extended sleeve length though; that motorcycle jackets normally have.

How do you compensate that; with a disappearing sleeve length wearing those coveralls when you extend your arms out to the bars? Gauntlet type gloves?

If so... what kind?

Btw.. I am a proponent of Gerbings heated gear myself. But the insulated coverall solution intrigues me.

Looking forward to comments.
    Carhartt offers a couple different styles of extreme weather gloves but I went with a pair of Joe Rocket Subzero Waterproof Gauntlet style gloves because they were only $30 bucks. They match the coveralls and pull easily over the sleeves. I would recommend this setup to anybody who desires a quick and easy cold weather solution. Again, one of the best advantages of this outfit is the simplicity. Three zippers and you're "in & out."