Mustang seat questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustang seat questions

SierraKen
    Jim, I have the Mustang seat and love it though I have not been on a multiday ride since I mounted it. Have done several 8 plus hour rides and find that it provides good support. As you know, im shorter than you. 5'10" with 30" inseam. I haven't really noticed that the seat put me back much but it is lower which fits me well.

I think you will get many different answers on this topic. Here is mine.

I am 6' tall with 32" inseam. I did plenty of miles with the stock seat, including on 700+ mile day, but also used Airhawk cushion. It did OK, but with the cushion it raised me up higher. I agonized a lot about which seat to get. If I had to do it all over again I would go with Russell Day long, as it is customized for you and I had one made for another bike and is great. But for F6B I went with the Mustang.

I like the low back support and seat in general. It is firm but not like Corbin and felt comfortable immediately. It did not seem to have needed any break in period. During trips it does not sag, it stays firm and supportive. It does seat you a bit lower, which I like for a couple of reasons: it seems to give me more confidence in the twisties as it noticably lowered my center of gravity, and also I have a Baggershield so now I have zero turbulence as I sit at the perfect height for riding (I also raised the shield a bit, too).

My knees are somewhat more bent now, but I also use aeropegs and my comfortable perch on long rides is to lean back into the back support and put my feet on aeropegs and use throttlemeister throttle lock. I can ride like that all day long with occasinal shuffle to regular pegs as well. In twisties I use regular pegs and have no cramping whatsoever.

In my opinion this seat is the best looking of the bunch and really complements the lines of the bike. So far it is wearing well. It was a bitch to put on, but recently I had to take it off and it went back on with no problems at all, stock bolts too. I guess after a while it settled down and holes just line up perfectly.

I also got it for better price than other seats are sold for, but that may not be important to you.

Here is what my bike looks like with it.

20150616_073619.jpg20150828_125604.jpg20150828_125544-1-1.jpg20160114_171521.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

I like my Mustang seat. It does lower and set me back a little. The wife had to tip toe balance my "B" with the stock seat, but she can sit flat footed with the Mustang. I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. If it took any bend out of my knees, I really don't notice it. If your main goal is to reduce knee bend, then I would suggest lowered mini boards or highway pegs. The back support is much better than stock, but if you are used to riding with an actual backrest it may be disappointing to you. It is not as "cush" as some of the other seats but I have to agree with Cool Hand Luke that I think it is the best looking seat on this bike.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Over height has little to do with this decision... it is leg length. Some with 31+ inseam will feel cramped on the Mustang seat and their knees will
    begin to hurt them as will their lower back....same goes for folks with longer arms....JMO
    Yes, this is absolutely true...and based on most of the feedback to my questions, I'm going to steer clear of the Mustang until I can sit in one and try it out. As others have said, this is such a personal decision, and so many variables are involved. Fix one problem, create another. Since I find the stock seat pretty comfortable, the easiest solution may be simply to add a backrest and be done with it.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback!
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

I'm 6 1 and have Ultimate King and i love it. Also, i have very long arms so I'm very comfortable with the handlebar position. I think you would like the foot position and knee bend, but unless you have long arms you might need the heli bars.

I rode 2056 miles this summer doing iron butt did it in 34 hours butt was good up till about 1700 when tempature got up to 100 and sweat started I love this seat

Are the Mustangs leather, pleather, or just straight-out vinyl? Hard to tell from pictures. That 8" backrest looks nice.
    edit: looked at the Mustang website, it's not leather but they look nicely made. Haven't heard anyone on the boards complaining about them falling apart, now all I need is to line up the funds!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Are the Mustangs leather, pleather, or just straight-out vinyl? Hard to tell from pictures. That 8" backrest looks nice.
    edit: looked at the Mustang website, it's not leather but they look nicely made. Haven't heard anyone on the boards complaining about them falling apart, now all I need is to line up the funds!
    Not leather as said above, but no issues at all with mine. Still looks like brand new and going on the 3rd riding season...As some have said it is, in my opinion, the best looking seat on the F6B and with short inseam/legs it works great...The Ultimate seat is also very nice, but I think taller riders with longer legs/inseams like it better...JMHO

I'm 6 ft with 32 inseam and found I did not like the lower seating of the Mustang but I usually have an Airhawk pad and it's perfect for me. I love putting the pegs out and snugglin into the backrest on those long stretches.
    2013 F6B in black of course

American Pride

Not only am I pretty damn happy with my seat; I am proud to own it also.

https://youtu.be/6qA1f9p-C-I