Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
One of the benefits of being a teacher. Free entertainment. (Anybody who works in the public school system has my respect-----and condolences at the same time)
This is soooo true. I do not work in the classroom anymore, but I spent 12 years as a 5th grade teacher, and I have heard some doozies that I still talk about today. Here are my top three:

1st place: A 2nd grade girl..."Good morning Mr. Bruyns!" Me: "Kendra (not her real name), my name is not Mr. Bruyns. My last name starts with an 'N'." 2nd grade girl: "Oh. Well, good morning Mr. Nuyns!" (Mr. Bruyns is a real person who no longer works in our school district)

2nd place: 5th grade boy, coming out of the bathroom: " You DO NOT want to go in there!" (Class starts laughing) "What is so funny? There's a mosquito in there!"

3rd place: "Mr. *****, is passing above a 65, or below a 65???"

As for the thread:

This has been one of the most interesting threads I have read on this forum since joining five months ago. Like many others, I ride alone 99.9999% of the time. In fact, I have only ridden ONCE with another person in my five years of riding - my father - back in October 2014, on a 60 mile round trip along the Lake Ontario State Parkway. I took my wife a couple of times years ago, but after my accident in 2012, she has been slow to get back on. Hard to blame her.

I started riding as a commuter, when gas was $4/gallon. I purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS650 for $475 and put 11,000 miles on it while regularly achieving 48 mpg. It took a year or two before I actually rode a motorcycle for pleasure. Last year, I rode 7,000 miles, with half of it from commuting, and half from riding for fun. Therefore, I know little about the culture of motorcycling. I mean, I see the groups of Harleys roaring by, and the groups of sport bike riders, but until today, I did not realize there were so many who do not ride in groups and didn't realize how complex of a social structure many formal MC's have! I never once thought about joining a club to ride with. Never even passed on my radar.

I am also a snowmobiler, with double the miles on sleds as I have on bikes (not for long). It is a completely different structure than motorcycle clubs, at least as featured in this thread. We have 200+ snowmobile clubs in New York, with about 125,000 registered snowmobiles. I think we are 4th in this number in the US, behind Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan...anyway...Club activities include trail signing, brushing, bushwhacking new trails, grooming in the winter with $200,000 machines, etc. Most clubs have one, maybe two "club rides" per year and they tend to be very family oriented. If you are an active member of a snowmobile club, you probably aren't riding a sled all that often. Completely the opposite as motorcycling.