TORQUE LOOPS ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TORQUE LOOPS ?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    +1
    and even after more than a year of riding with OEM exhaust mufflers and now an aftermarket system mine have not come loose or leaked, but gasket placement is crucial in that respect.
    Hey BigLry, did you add any extra gaskets or try anything that would keep them from loosening up?

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Hey BigLry, did you add any extra gaskets or try anything that would keep them from loosening up?
    Nope, I just used the OEM gaskets, but paid critical attention to their placement on the male end of the exhaust header & mufflers as they slipped into the Loops and placement of the clamps. I also went through a heat cycle (started engine with all plastic off) then re-torqued all clamps after cool down.
    I have not had any leaks nor has anything come loose after about 10k miles on them now. I set all my clamps so I could also reach & tighten them without removing any plastic in case there was anything leaking or loosening up, which thankfully has not happened.
    I must also note that I did switched out and used a more robust clamp on the muffler end, they were the ones that came with my Jekill & Hyde mufflers, but I had no problems with the OEM clamps before I installed the Jekill & Hyde system, I just wanted to use their clamp on their mufflers.

Attachment 19729

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Thanks BigLry!

Torq loops

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Sounds like you enjoyed installing the Loopz about as much as I did. I had to do mine twice for a couple of reasons. First, I wasn't careful enough about the orientation of the clamps and found they interfered with the lower panels. And, second, I wound up with leaks at the first joints between the manifolds and Loopz. The second time around, I doubled up on the gaskets and used real muffler joint sealer and that took care of that! If you're smelling any exhaust, especially when you're sitting still, you need to check for leaks.
    Loops came today read instructions 2 times how long does it take to install.thanks.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Has anybody ever just replaced the gap where the CATS are with a simple straight pipe instead of the loops? What are the benefits of the loops?
    I'm sure they are called torque loops for a reason. Its a tuned exhaust and the extra length created by the loops increases the torque.

My loops showed up today. Taking notes now, was wondering how long to plan for install. I had all the lower tins off before so I am ok with that part, just wondering about headers and crash bars, anything there to watch for?? I read and will be gentle with O2 sensor and wire. Should all go ok as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    My loops showed up today. Taking notes now, was wondering how long to plan for install. I had all the lower tins off before so I am ok with that part, just wondering about headers and crash bars, anything there to watch for?? I read and will be gentle with O2 sensor and wire. Should all go ok as far as I can see.
    Just take your time being especially careful how you seal that first joint. If Jimmy is still including gasket maker instead of muffler sealer, I would recommend buying some muffler sealer. Be very careful not to let the supplied gasket push in too far. You want that gasket flush with the edge. Also, be careful with the orientation of the clamps. If you don't install them right, you won't be able to fit the lower header covers back on. Another tip is to coat the rubber boots on the heat shields with silicone grease. That should help them slide back in place more easily. Good luck!
    Ken (Hornblower)

Thanks Ken, I will watch out for first joint, they sent gaskets with some sealer on them, but I will pick up joint sealer to make sure.

TORQUE LOOPZ INSTALL

WHAT TYPE OF LIFT DID YOU NEED TO DO THE INSTALL?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrockr View Post
    WHAT TYPE OF LIFT DID YOU NEED TO DO THE INSTALL?
    A lift would be nice but not required. I did mine on the center stand.
    Ken (Hornblower)