typical...so typical
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: typical...so typical

typical...so typical

Another case of a baboon working on our bikes. I went in for the brake recall. After as I pull into my driveway I hear a weird ka-ching noise. The next day I pop in at the dealer to ask about going to the dark side. They discourage me. Whatever. Anyway, the tech who did my recall walks out and tells me he thinks he left his bleeder wrench on my rear caliper. (That was the ka-ching) I told him I heard a ka-ching when I got home and would look for the wrench. ( I never found it) The next day after that I see a drip drip under the bike. I find the brake fluid reservoir cap loose and it is dripping brake fluid. Why is it that so many of us have stories like this? Bike techs generally suck. It makes no sense to me.

Don't feel like the lone ranger

I had my own horror story with my original dealer that I will never go back to see ever again. I had to talk to a bunch of people before getting the info on a dealer that cares about his customers and take good care of their motorcycles. So that my advice, talk to people in your area until you stumble across the one that knows a good dealer.!

Most Honda and multi-line dealers "just plain suck"...Service is marginal, techs are not trained properly, prices are ridiculous and etc. etc. For those of use that have to use dealers to do some work it is hit and miss...I have, so far, found a dealer that works for me, a long distance away, but worth it to me...Honda needs to "get off their ass" and take the time to hire, train, and PAY decent techs that care...What a shame as this has been the norm for over 50 years with bike dealers....JMHO

Just how in the hell does an idiot Honda motorcycle technician "leave" his brake bleeding wrench on a caliper? And then suddenly remember and report it?

Really?

Really?

God save us from all from the idiots that permeat this earth.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just how in the hell does an idiot Honda motorcycle technician "leave" his brake bleeding wrench on a caliper? And then suddenly remember and report it?

Really?

Really?

God save us from all from the idiots that permeat this earth.
    It happens more than you think.

Attachment 20297Attachment 20300

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    It happens more than you think.

Attachment 20297Attachment 20300
    Maybe the surgical team was "texting"?

I can not think of any other reason for that. Well... Maybe except drinking while in the O.R.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

"ATAF" - All Tools Accounted For.
    Or no one goes home.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    "ATAF" - All Tools Accounted For.
    Or no one goes home.....
    Might be a long day at some shops 53. I've had several dozen body men and mechanics work for me over the years. Some didn't last the day. Others stayed around for years. I've noticed that the more competent the tech the better they are with their tools. Will , I can answer the question about hiring good techs. There isn't enough to go around. You can't hire someone good if there isn't one available. Big shortage of competent technicians. I got lucky last year and hired a 25 year old that is top notch. He is still learning some of the finer points but he is one of the better techs around. Today's youth aren't interested in mechanics. You can't always fix it with a computer. You still have to get your hands greasy sometimes.

Our techs leave sockets on lug nuts, leave center covers right on the ground where they were working, forget to give customers the key for the lug nut lock back to them....Willtill....the list is endless. Like above, it happens more than you think, and I'll go further and say more than ever before. They don't care, and they text while working....this working generation SUCKS.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I have a small shop and do all my own work and, of course, that of my customers'....except for something like this last brake recall.
    I just cringed at having to take my bike to any dealer. I went to 5 different dealerships and talked to every service manager and wanted to know who specifically was going to do the work on my bike, that I owned a shop myself and would be inspecting the work when completed. I finally settled on the one that actually let me talk to the tech that was going to do the work on my bike, and had him explain/show me exactly what they were going to do and why (I already knew). They took their time and as far as I can tell, they did me right. I got her back to my shop and went over it with a fine tooth comb...LOL...and couldn't find anything wrong. I felt pretty lucky with that one.
    I pretty much just work on Gold Wings.
    When a bike goes up on my table lift, I make sure it's totally safe/secure before raising it. I'm not just blindly focused on the particular job that my customer wants done (ie: such as an oil change), but I'm also giving the bike a good thorough going over...looking for things that could affect my customer's safety or ride....such as tire condition, missing fasteners, worn brake pads, etc.
    I keep my tools in order, keep em clean, orderly and every last one of em accounted for...as I use them!! Yep. That's right...as I use them. I don't leave a bunch of tools laying scattered around as I work. I keep the work area picked up and cleaned as I go. It's like doing surgery...LOL. I'm no spring chicken and doing service work this way is quite slower....well, slower than the tech at the Honda shop, but I'm also very thorough and I'm not under any pressure from some service manager to "hurry up". Work is done and bolts are torqued per the service manual If I'm not comfortable with doing a specific job, I'm not gonna undertake it. I treat every single bike as if were my own. I keep cleaner and micro fiber cloth handy and as I finish in that area of the bike, I clean that area....no greasy fingerprints and smudges on my customers' bikes if I have anything to do with it. I don't rip off my customers. I'm honest with them and they're honest with me...and they keep coming back. I don't have many of em, but the ones I do have are the kind I want; and we appreciate/respect each other. I'm definitely not out to grow any larger than I am and very content with what I have going. I like it like that way because I like to ride too. IF too big, I'd be married to doing nothing but service work rather than riding myself....LOL.
    Oh, I'm also looking to maybe do a couple of trike conversions if I can find the right deal on the bikes.