USB Power Plug for Left Glove Box
    Kuryakan Drink Holder for Center Lock Box
    Mini Boards for Passenger
    Flip Windshield
    to name a few LOL

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgjhn View Post
    LPMoJo,
    Just an FYI....I finally got a few minutes today and put mine up on the lift table to double-check the differential fluid.
    I was about 2 oz. low. That's half empty or half full however you want to look at it.
    I went ahead and drained it and added the full load of Amsoil 75W90 to it.
    And …. how much MOLY did you add to the replacement gear oil?

These rear drives come with MOLY in the rear drive gear oil from the factory for a reason. Honda clearly wants that MOLY in there for at least 20,000 - 24,000 miles so that the gears fall in love with each other and longevity.

Prematurely drained rear drives have failed in less then 75,000 miles yet rear drives that the owners followed the Honda Engineers' recommendation of oil change intervals have lasted as long as 250,000 miles before failure. Yes, you can find replacements on Flea-Bay for $100 +/-, but who needs the aggravation, specially if you are on a long trip away from home. I know of a couple guys that replace their rear drives on their perfectly running GoldWings every 100,000 miles simply for the peace of mind.

My experience (in the past)….. Honda will not disclose the amount of MOLY that it adds to its gear oil.
    Don't drain the rear gear oil before it is due, just top it off as needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    And …. how much MOLY did you add to the replacement gear oil?

These rear drives come with MOLY in the rear drive gear oil from the factory for a reason. Honda clearly wants that MOLY in there for at least 20,000 - 24,000 miles so that the gears fall in love with each other and longevity.

Prematurely drained rear drives have failed in less then 75,000 miles yet rear drives that the owners followed the Honda Engineers' recommendation of oil change intervals have lasted as long as 250,000 miles before failure. Yes, you can find replacements on Flea-Bay for $100 +/-, but who needs the aggravation, specially if you are on a long trip away from home. I know of a couple guys that replace their rear drives on their perfectly running GoldWings every 100,000 miles simply for the peace of mind.

My experience (in the past)….. Honda will not disclose the amount of MOLY that it adds to its gear oil.
    Don't drain the rear gear oil before it is due, just top it off as needed.

Just my 2 cents.
    I do not know where you obtained this info but it has been said by others including a very good Goldwing tech I know that this is pure bunk.Very few Goldwing rear drives have failed at the gears themselves as the bearings are what have failed which Moly would really have not helped.There are a ton of Goldwing owners with well over 100k that are on the original rear ends with annual fluid changes.I changed mine out with Amsoil synthetic at 1000 miles because I found it half low from the dealer.I change it every spring and expect to get many more miles out of that rear end.I guess only time and mileage will tell if I am wrong.Heck the rear end and front diff in my Cummins truck has over 200K with 50K Amsoil fliud changes and they pull a heck of a lot more weight then my Goldwing even though I am 385lbs-LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    I do not know where you obtained this info but it has been said by others including a very good Goldwing tech I know that this is pure bunk.
    Let's agree to disagree ….

One "very good" tech doesn't have the experience of thousands of owners, opinions don't have any weight when it comes to reality.

We had the same issues with the Honda Rune, one owner was anal about changing her rear drive fluid at every motor oil change, she also had a rear drive prematurely fail on her with less then 50,000 miles at one of our Rallies. I know of 2 other Runes that have followed the Honda recommended schedule … one is pushing 300,000 miles and the other has 110,000 and both are on their original rear drives.

I guess all of the owners that have admitted that they have prematurely changed their rear drive with surprising premature rear end failures are full of BUNK … coincidence I guess

The "excellent" Honda Engineers have designed the unit with specific intervals … which if followed they will cover under a unlimited mileage warranty. These engineers have loads of data from all Honda rear drives and design them with maintenance intervals based on tried and tested feedback.
    These excellent engineers have designed and created one of the worlds BEST running motorcycle ever created … I'm not going to question their almost bullet proof design or maintenance interval schedule.

I have yet to meet a "very good" Goldwing tech that knows the bike better then one of the honda engineers.

Plenty of reading on premature failures……

Do a web search for ….

gl1800 rear end failure
    or
    gl1800 rear drive failure

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

COMMENTS from other owners …

" Okay I have a 2010 GL_1800 Goldwing and am using Amsoil 75- 90 Sever gear synthetic lub in my final drive. I change it each time I change the motor oil to assure any metal particles are removed. On my last trip I seemed to have a lot of back lash and clunking when I downshift. I went home and put the bike up on the center stand. I started the bike and put it in gear and rank it with 1,2,3,4,5. In 5th it sounded like the ring and pinion were ratting back and forth or the universal joints were worn out. Remember I only have 8,500 miles on this bike. I then throttled up to 70 MPH and all was well but when I got to 80 MPH it was if the back
    tirewas egged shaped and out of balance. Maybe is I don't know and don't have the tools to check it. I then drained the oil and looked over the rings gear tooth by tooth and could see no chipped gears but did see some ware on the ring gear where the pinion and it come together. I also notice some metallic glitter in the oil."

(Rear drive failure), it's a 2003 with 57,415 miles on it, plus a few on a trailer.. Purchased new. Lovingly Maintained.."

"Hello been a long time reader since my tech knowledge is limited. Just thought I advise any interested wingers. 2003 GL1800 bought new has 39400 miles and the rear differential failed. I had 5 days left on the extended warranty and my Honda dealer was "unable to get it in for at least 2-3 weeks". So like any other problem I've had I researched the service manual and Fred Harmon videos and did it myself. I bought a trike conversion rear off a 2009 and swapped it myself problem solved smooother than when new !!! To all interested I changed the oil in the differential every 3000 with Mobil 1 syn 75w90. Last oil change after symptoms started was Amsoil 75w140 to give her alittle more cushion. This started at approx 30000 low frequency vibration mirror vibration and deceleration vibration with NO oil leakage from differential. Coming home from 3000 mi round trip some clunking and increased driveline backlash noted. Called dealer he told me it was my tires being scalloped. I told him my tire was not scalloped and the clunking noise and vibrating of the bike when I went through the gears on the center stand. He stated he NEVER had a Golding differential fail. Thanks to this board I proactively bought a rear and had it ready to go. Just figured I put this out there. It doesn't have to have >100000 on it to fail. No I do not tow a trailer and my wife is 128 lbs. To all who post helpful info here THANKS you helped me to self sufficient."

Summary of reported failures.

Thanks for replies. Reported oil leak failures both with and without metal flakes have occured from 300 miles to 57K miles. Reported noise related failures have occured from 40K to 125K miles. One reported drive shaft needle bearing failure occured at 198K. One final drive still good at 200K and never changed oil was replaced.

Seems to me that swapping out final drive at between 100K and 150K would be cheap insurance for reduced risk traveling. Not much info on drive shaft failures but failures have been rare so guess that this is lower risk component.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxers View Post
    LED Light Set
    Driver Backrest
    Passenger Backrest
    USB Power Plug for Left Glove Box
    Kuryakan Drink Holder for Center Lock Box
    Mini Boards for Passenger
    Flip Windshield
    to name a few LOL
    Dang man, going all out!
    Hopefully we'll run into each other sometime so I can check out your ride. I'm already thinking of things I'm going to add. A passenger backrest is a must. Left glove box 12v power receptacle is highly probable. Drink holder, hiway pegs, windshield...
    Yeah, I'll be spending money, too.

I dropped into D&S Honda Kawasaki in Arlington, and long story short, they made the same deal for me as Russellville, AR Honda. I decided to go with the local shop instead of flying into AR and driving home. Inspection and registration taken care of. The bike will be ready in 24-48 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm losing the $162 flight cost. It's non-refundable.
    And, after talking to the Honda dealer in Russellville, AR, I'm not sure that I'll be getting the $500 deposit back.
    I'm hoping they decide to refund it, or at the very least let it be used as credit for accessories or something.
    But, if the cost of dealing locally is $662 more than flying out of state and driving 6 hours home, so be it. I'll take the hit.

I'd rather support a local family-owned store than an out-of-state corporate dealership and make some friends close to home. I've found it's great to have an established relationship with local shops when it comes time to get things done, especially if you find yourself stranded on a motorcycle close to home.
    Excited to get out there and ride the F6b!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Let's agree to disagree ….

One "very good" tech doesn't have the experience of thousands of owners, opinions don't have any weight when it comes to reality.

We had the same issues with the Honda Rune, one owner was anal about changing her rear drive fluid at every motor oil change, she also had a rear drive prematurely fail on her with less then 50,000 miles at one of our Rallies. I know of 2 other Runes that have followed the Honda recommended schedule … one is pushing 300,000 miles and the other has 110,000 and both are on their original rear drives.

I guess all of the owners that have admitted that they have prematurely changed their rear drive with surprising premature rear end failures are full of BUNK … coincidence I guess

The "excellent" Honda Engineers have designed the unit with specific intervals … which if followed they will cover under a unlimited mileage warranty. These engineers have loads of data from all Honda rear drives and design them with maintenance intervals based on tried and tested feedback.
    These excellent engineers have designed and created one of the worlds BEST running motorcycle ever created … I'm not going to question their almost bullet proof design or maintenance interval schedule.

I have yet to meet a "very good" Goldwing tech that knows the bike better then one of the honda engineers.

Plenty of reading on premature failures……

Do a web search for ….

gl1800 rear end failure
    or
    gl1800 rear drive failure

I never said one tech over rides the wisdom of Honda engineers.The same ones who have developed a bike with frames cracking on early models,balls in a cup front end design with a need to upgrade,engine hesitation on many Goldwings and brakes that lock up on some bikes like mine because of a poorly designed secondary master cylinder.They are only human like the rest of us and yes I will disagree that a rear end that has the fluid changed before 24K will go bad because it has some special Honda engineered gears that need a special sauce to mesh properly.Plus most of the rear end failures I have read about and my buddy has seen were bearing failure.All he works on is Goldwings for the past 20+ years and even he said over the 100's of 1800's he has serviced that is rare.Remember this is the internet and we only tend to hear the things that go wrong.I have got to believe for every rear end failure there are a 1000 1800 rear ends going strong.
    But just to be sure I have obtained a E Bay F6B rear end take off that has zero miles for 90.00 and it is sitting in a box if and when needed as I plan to keep this bike for many more years and miles.So even though I believe my rear end will goe at least 100K on my Amsoil gear oil I am ready if proved wrong-LOL.

She's Ready for Pickup!

The dealer received the new-in-crate 2015 Matte Silver F6B today, and is servicing it right now. I'll be catching a ride in an hour or so to pick it up. Wooohoooo! I'm stoked!

Soooo, should I ride it like I stole it, or take it easy?

Quote Originally Posted by LPMojo View Post
    The dealer received the new-in-crate 2015 Matte Silver F6B today, and is servicing it right now. I'll be catching a ride in an hour or so to pick it up. Wooohoooo! I'm stoked!

Soooo, should I ride it like I stole it, or take it easy?
    Break-in "technique" varies. If you have 5 trained technicians and 5 riders who think highly of themselves, you'll get 17 answers.
    The only thing that ever made sense to me is that you are seating in the rings, so a constant throttle is probably a bad thing.

I have a friend who has been riding Gold Wings since Day 1 and his technique is NEVER keep a constant throttle for the first 100 miles. It's quite the PITA he says, but he's had several Wings over 150,000 miles.

That's all I got.

Oh, HAVE FUN!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Hey Phantom!!

Just looking for info here. For the record, my service manager said no moly was added to the final drives. I asked this question when I found my final drive was only half full. Was told to top it off with Honda 80w since that's how it left the factory. Since many owners are finding this problem, could it be the ones who lost the ring and pinion did so because of lack of sufficient lubrication? Why are you so sure there is moly added?