Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
From what I have gleaned over the past several years, the only reason folks choose a winter tire design is for the "more motorcycle tire like ride". The stiff sidewall of the run-flats have handling characteristics which almost mirror that of a MT. There is a misconception by most that a more rounded edge tread/thread makes the tire "roll of center" easier. That may be true for run-flats with stiff sidewalls but isn't with conventional 1 ply soft wall radials. Case in point is the General G-Max. My personal experience with the Max which delivered 30K+ miles of wear and showed no sign of wear except for the tread/thread face. The soft side wall allows the rim to "plant" itself and compress the wall making it "squat". This tends to lift the tread/thread center while applying maximum pressure to the tread/thread outer edge!

The attached pics show some outer edge "scalloping" but absolutely no wear to any portion of the sidewall!

Attachment 20397Attachment 20398
Ok,, so a Winter compound may let the tire conform to road conditions and give a different ride feel. hhmmm good point Bob, thanks for your input. That gives me more to think about when I need to replace my Kumho.