Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
    Heh...

My work bike is an ST1300, and yes, rolling that feels SO much heavier than the F6 to move. The F6 has reverse, but after moving the ST out, the blue beasts a doddle.
    No "reverse" in the older USA models (like my 2014)....but she's still easy to maneuver.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Here comes my opinion---and mine only, so don't judge me

I have been riding since 1977 and can not remember all of the bikes I have owned over the years--- Victorys, Harleys, Yamahas, and bunches of Hondas of all variety. Have I owned a perfect bike that had everything I wanted and did everything well. The obvious answer is no since I have owned a bunch of others. Also, what I like and want in a bike changes with age and other things. I used to love to polish the chrome on my Harleys and feel the ground shake when it idled. Now I love the lack of chrome and quiet ride of my F6B.

I am 60 years old and no longer wish to "Peacock" with noise and chrome. The B was a challenge to get it to fit my frame and it took a Madstad, Ultimate King Rider seat, Kury ERGO pegs and Helibars mounted on Rockys Risers to get a perfect fit. FOR WHERE I AM NOW this bike is the closest thing to what I want. I also wish it had ABS, but it is the best braking bike I have owned to date. When you are considering the almost 900 lbs it weighs without a rider, that is impressive---to me anyway.

Then for the days I wish to cut loose, I fire up my Street Rod!

Again, your smileage may vary.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So your shopping for a second bike to keep at a destination to ride some distances comfortably while at said destination and you want ABS. Try a full Goldwing on for size. From your comments I feel you will be pleased with it and you can score a used well equipped one for 10k-15k all day long.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

Lack of ABS brakes

I too have owned BMW Adventure bikes and others with ABS brakes. In 8 months of riding the 2015 F6B all I can say is that the brakes are great and after a couple of thousand miles of "getting used to riding a heavy bike again" I have no complaints or major worries. With that said, I have not had to make a high or low speed emergency stop on the F6b yet. The controlled braking system works well

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.

Victory CC Tour vs F6B

For the entire summer of 2015, the Victory Cross Country Tour was #1 on my list, mainly because of the ABS and cruise that the F6B did not have. I even found a 2014 leftover stock that the dealer was practically willing to give away ($3000 for my VStar, and old sled, rebate, hefty discount, etc). I couldn't wait to get it ... forget the dam F6B. Finally got the funds together and went to test drive the CC Tour.

It's April, and the F6B is in my garage.

Need I say more? Okay, I will. I cut the test ride short on the Vic and hit the Honda dealer on the way home. Had a deal worked out later that week for a leftover '13 Standard.

The smooth, reliable six, the power, the looks, etc. made up for the lack of ABS and CC, both high on my list of wants. I just grit my teeth and deal with not having the ABS, though I really wish I had it for the extra piece of mind. Instead, I bought a fluorescent safety vest.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    So your shopping for a second bike to keep at a destination to ride some distances comfortably while at said destination and you want ABS. Try a full Goldwing on for size. From your comments I feel you will be pleased with it and you can score a used well equipped one for 10k-15k all day long.
    I'm considering the F6B as my main/only bike at home and moving my ST1300 ABS to a location in West Texas. This would allow easy access to Colorado/New Mexico on occasion while working out there.

I'm asking about the brakes on the F6B as again, it will become my main (and only) ride at home. Seems like a well designed, comfortable bike that can do a lot of things really well, thus making it a great choice. I just want to get comfortable with the idea that the bike I ride the most will not have ABS. Many of the comments here are really helping.

f6b and st1300

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.
    I am 6'1, 240 and came from a ST1300. I actually had two ST1300s and destroyed the first one on a curve with gravel. I had a custom seat built for the second one because I consider the stock seat to be horrible. Even with the custom seat I found I could not stay comfortable for 200 miles. My knees were hurting because of the constant bend. I would take my feet off the pegs and let them hang toward the ground just to get relief. I also did not realize how top heavy the ST was until I rode the F6B. The F6B has a much lower COG and I find it easier to handle.

After buying the F6B I found my knees were still hurting in the constant position so I installed Kuryakyn II pegs and that changed everything. Because of the pegs I have the ability to ride in four different positions including bracing my feet with my legs perfectly straight and getting off the bottom of my butt while pushing the back of it into the slant in the seat. That gives my butt a rest and allows me to ride all day.

I still owned the ST for a short time after buying the F6B and after getting used to the F6B I found riding the ST somewhat difficult as far as balance was concerned. Like you I also felt the ST was too narrow for me. So for me the change was great. I have now found my perfect motorcycle. It's comfortable, fast, balanced and stable. Perfect! You would not be sorry.

Oops I tried to add something and replied to my own post. Please see my added statements there.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorstad View Post
    I am 6'1, 240 and came from a ST1300. I actually had two ST1300s and destroyed the first one on a curve with gravel. I had a custom seat built for the second one because I consider the stock seat to be horrible. Even with the custom seat I found I could not stay comfortable for 200 miles. My knees were hurting because of the constant bend. I would take my feet off the pegs and let them hang toward the ground just to get relief. I also did not realize how top heavy the ST was until I rode the F6B. The F6B has a much lower COG and I find it easier to handle.

After buying the F6B I found my knees were still hurting in the constant position so I installed Kuryakyn II pegs and that changed everything. Because of the pegs I have the ability to ride in four different positions including bracing my feet with my legs perfectly straight and getting off the bottom of my butt while pushing the back of it into the slant in the seat. That gives my butt a rest and allows me to ride all day.

I still owned the ST for a short time after buying the F6B and after getting used to the F6B I found riding the ST somewhat difficult as far as balance was concerned. Like you I also felt the ST was too narrow for me. So for me the change was great. I have now found my perfect motorcycle. It's comfortable, fast, balanced and stable. Perfect! You would not be sorry
    By the way, I love the linked braking system and I like others have never felt the need for ABS. The brakes are very powerful as are the ST brakes. Both stop quickly and with confidence. I noticed Winston said the same thing as me about riding the ST again after the F6B. It really was shocking.

ABS

Very surprised American models don't come with ABS. I have the Canadian F6B with ABS.

I would have preferred to have ABS on the F6B as well, but the linked braking system seems to work well enough.

I do wonder if they really save that much when they so may variations of the same bike...