Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Anyone feel a difference in their rear brake since the recall work?
    Mine is definitely different, more responsive (but yes, there is new fluid).

What has me intrigued though, is when I step on the brake more firmly than gradually, I feel a "thud" in the rear area.
    If I go gradually, no thud.
    Is that air in the system working its way through?
    I know it wasn't there before the recall work.

I am going to check all fasteners and fittings tomorrow in the light.

Open to ideas so when I get back to the dealer, I can have an intelligent conversation.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    If you have floating rotors check to see that the rotor is not loose on its hub. Floating rotors do just as implied. They float on the hub and are attached by small puck like discs ,about the size of a quarter. If these pucks wear and get loose the rotor can actually rattle or thump on the hub. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    If you still have your bike and it has a center stand; put it up on it and get it in gear (running) and then have someone pull in the clutch and step on the rear brake; while you're looking underneath near the rear wheel/caliper assembly. Maybe that'll help you pinpoint the problem...
    Brilliant idea! Thanks. When it quits raining.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    After having the recall done, and having read this post I went out to experiment. At moderate speeds (40-50 kph) if I apply the rear brake sharply I notice a slight "thump" as the decceleration actuates the front brake through the link system. The thump comes from the front, but can almost be felt through the brake pedal. I would presume this was always the case, just didn't notice as I didn't go looking for it... and I don't use the brakes in that manner under normal riding.
    I don't use my brakes that way either - normally - but the test pilot in me came out after someone else did maintenance and that's when I noticed it.
    I'll go review where I felt it from - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    If you have floating rotors check to see that the rotor is not loose on its hub. Floating rotors do just as implied. They float on the hub and are attached by small puck like discs ,about the size of a quarter. If these pucks wear and get loose the rotor can actually rattle or thump on the hub. Just a thought.
    I would hope with 18k on the odo and still plenty of wear left on the initial brake pads, I haven't been killing my pucks enough to wear them as you noted, but it's definitely worth looking at! Thanks.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Steve, did you pinpoint the problem with the brakes yet? I actually felt the same thing as we were leaving Panama city beach this morning. My wife also felt it so I know I wasn't going crazy and of course I just got my bike back from the dealer and they recall was done while it was there.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    Steve, did you pinpoint the problem with the brakes yet? I actually felt the same thing as we were leaving Panama city beach this morning. My wife also felt it so I know I wasn't going crazy and of course I just got my bike back from the dealer and they recall was done while it was there.

Grant
    No, I did take it back and the senior GW tech rode it and all he said he could feel was the front caliper engaging.
    I also had them flush the front brakes as well (16k service item) so.....

And? I haven't felt it in a long while. Maybe it was trapped air. When I ride today, I'll go purposefully looking for it. If I can make it repeatable, I'll have the tech ride on the back and demonstrate the discrepancy.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

No, I did take it back and the senior GW tech rode it and all he said he could feel was the front caliper engaging.
    I also had them flush the front brakes as well (16k service item) so.....

And? I haven't felt it in a long while. Maybe it was trapped air. When I ride today, I'll go purposefully looking for it. If I can make it repeatable, I'll have the tech ride on the back and demonstrate the discrepancy.
    hahahaha good luck taking her for a ride

I know i know looking forward to it! lmao

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    hahahaha good luck taking her for a ride

I know i know looking forward to it! lmao
    Couldn't make it repeat yesterday - at all.
    Tomorrow is oil change day so we'll have to get her up to temperature - I'll see if I can repeat the discrepancy.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Rear brake problem. Had the Honda recall done back in in December with a little over 20,000 miles on it I have noticed lately that at a slow speed ( around 25 miles per hour) applying the rear brakes and only the rear brakes I get a vibration at first hit of the rear brake pedal if you hold it down it immediately goes away if you're using the front brakes on and apply rear brakes it does not happen.

Well I just left my Honda dealership talk to the Head mechanic. And what he told me he is that the brake shudder is a byproduct of the new secondary master cylinder which has a orifice that is 5 times larger than the original secondary master cylinder orifice I was not on the bike at the time but he told me to bring it by any time and let him take it out and make sure that's what it is. there is a possibility that there is air taped in the system....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by strickf6b View Post
    Rear brake problem. Had the Honda recall done back in in December with a little over 20,000 miles on it I have noticed lately that at a slow speed ( around 25 miles per hour) applying the rear brakes and only the rear brakes I get a vibration at first hit of the rear brake pedal if you hold it down it immediately goes away if you're using the front brakes on and apply rear brakes it does not happen.

Well I just left my Honda dealership talk to the Head mechanic. And what he told me he is that the brake shudder is a byproduct of the new secondary master cylinder which has a orifice that is 5 times larger than the original secondary master cylinder orifice I was not on the bike at the time but he told me to bring it by any time and let him take it out and make sure that's what it is. there is a possibility that there is air taped in the system....
    Okay...that's a good data point - that the orifice is 5x larger. That would make sense and lend to my hypothesis about the thud being there and then going way once worked through. I need to check the fluid levels tomorrow AM.

Thank you!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Okay...that's a good data point - that the orifice is 5x larger. That would make sense and lend to my hypothesis about the thud being there and then going way once worked through. I need to check the fluid levels tomorrow AM.

Thank you!
    Well I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer to check it out again just to make sure its nothing at all. It did it a lot more today and it was very noticeable to me, I took a 280 mile back road ride today and I noticed it towards the end of the ride.

Grant

After the recall work I have a thud noise if braking fast and at slow speeds especially in a turn around and I tap the rear brakes I get a pulsing from the brakes..Even put it on the center stand and put it in 1st gear and hold the rear brake down and the wheels vibrates...Took it back to the dealer where they have bumped me behind paying customers and have had it for a week with no word yet...My guess is there is air trapped in the calipers and linked brake system and im betting they didnt bleed them correctly...Speed bleeders or bungeeing the front brake handle overnite and a weight hung on rear peddle will push the air out and solve the problem...Wish I had tried that before taking ot back...Anyone else have similar symptoms?
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]