Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts

Really like it, Patch, particularly the top configuration (solo) as I only ride solo. Wasn't too keen on the look of the 2 up configuration.

Rendering of the larger Humpback model at nearly 24 inches wide. This one is very much similar to the smaller Minke model, except with more space, sizing in at 108 liters. This one also follows the tail of the bikes original lines much closer, where-as the Minke model at 72 liters, has a longer top edge than bottom, giving the top side a slightly longer appearance. I'll render the smaller Minke and post that in the next day or two.

Both have had drawings completed at a base level, and now I'm working on the latch/release/keylock mechanism to allow for unlocking the door one direction or providing the shift from solo to two-up, to quick release the other direction.

Attachment 20715

Solo Travelers Trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Kurare79 View Post
    The perfect thing for me and my wife. I always have to bolt the back rest for her. Riding without her the back rest just looks ugly on the bike. That thing would be perfect
    Really nice concept Patch. Keep me in your contacts as a future customer. Just goy my F6B and looking for a back rest extension now. Your solo trunk with back rest pad mound behind the passenger would indeed be perfect.

Any updates on design and or production for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Rendering of the larger Humpback model at nearly 24 inches wide. This one is very much similar to the smaller Minke model, except with more space, sizing in at 108 liters. This one also follows the tail of the bikes original lines much closer, where-as the Minke model at 72 liters, has a longer top edge than bottom, giving the top side a slightly longer appearance. I'll render the smaller Minke and post that in the next day or two.

Both have had drawings completed at a base level, and now I'm working on the latch/release/keylock mechanism to allow for unlocking the door one direction or providing the shift from solo to two-up, to quick release the other direction.

Attachment 20715
    That is SMOoooKIN!!! what would be require to use the same trunk but change from solo rider(back pad for the rider) to 2 riders(back pad for the passenger) would it be just hardware?
    above pic VS one of the previous pics on this thread.

The design is beautiful.
    Looks like it will nicely compliment the already beautiful lines of the F6B.

This is exactly what I have been looking for for me and my wife. Excited to see where it goes. Have you considered crowd funding for some of the patent costs I'm sure many of us would jump at the chance to help bring this to market as a pre-order.

7/13/26 update - Humpback

Short answer...with my current work schedule, it's actually coming along nicely. And thanks to all of you for the kind words and encouragement.

Details...
    Presently, I'm still working on the locking mechanism. How I want it to work, the lock to actuate the opening of the lid in one direction, and allowing the unit to move from solo to 2-up position using a reverse direction. While the keylock system I found works, getting the cabling and lock attached to the bike, for the rider to co-rider position to function without a fault, is a bit more tricky than originally anticipated, and I may have to compromise a bit.

I'm also working with a die mold company which is in need of the back part of my seat and armatures. (I sent them the armatures, but as I ride mine daily, I'm looking for a cheap replacement seat to send as they mentioned it will probably end up being too damaged for use). Not sure why, but having been involved in other projects in my past where dies and molds were created, it's not a surprise.

As for crowdfunding, I've thought about this and would certainly be ok in setting something up, but I'm hesitant to do so before I even have the prototype ready. All I have currently is a foam core shell with some fiberglass laid around it. It's rough, it's ugly and at best, it's only good for use as a plug to make a fiberglass mold once I finish adding bondo, sanding, and gelcoating it.

In looking back at this, I wish there were more hours in the day. I certainly wish I had a job that would allow more time to work on personal projects. In total this doesn't require a lot of time to design and bring to market, but it does take more than I have, which is why progress is slow. It also takes a lot more money to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    ....It also takes a lot more money to get done.
    You need to sell those "Best Bike Ever" t-shirts from the other thread and raise the capital...
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    You need to sell those "Best Bike Ever" t-shirts from the other thread and raise the capital...
    lol...good idea 53. I just called a shirt printer about it and sent the files over to them as I read your post. I threw that together in about 2 minutes as a quick nod to Teach but after there were a few asking for it, I reckon it makes sense that might help with funding it.

I'm thinking Black, White, Charcoal, Red, Yellow and Blue for t-shirt colors with the F6B arm logo and the BBE graphic on the back...all cotton and long sleeve...t-shirt colors to match bike colors if desired. I just hope the print quote isn't $$$ per shirt.