Hauling in a pick-up - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hauling in a pick-up

Please keep in mind you are working under idea conditions at your home. Where do you plan to unload the bike ??? is there another ditch or bank to back up to, or will you have a wide ramp to back down?
    Another tip for unloading is to put the bike in gear (NOT RUNNING) and pull in the clutch as you back down a ramp. The reason is if you only use the front brake your front tire may slide. But having the bike in gear and using the clutch to hold back you will have better traction to stop if needed. Also make sure your ramp is wide enough for both feet to be solid on the ramp as you back down.
    Please test your loading and unloading procedure while you are still home and become comfortable with it!!!

Above is the best information ever.. I never thought of putting it in gear and using the clutch to stop it,, I will be doing this for sure.. Still on the fence actually but I hear you all. Trailer is the way to go I suppose. Thanks guys (and gals). Much appreciated. Joe

I am risk avoider at heart

My concern would be what happens if I am in a collision and I have an 800 pound projectile behind me ready to come through that back window of my truck. The straps are not going to hold that in place. I'm a big fan of the trailer suggestion. My $0.02 worth.

Hauling in a pick up

My friend please don't even try that. First the F6B is a very long bike and a very heavy bike. Its just not worth it to try it. Just rent a bike trailer to save your bike and to keep you from getting hurt.

Make sure your tie down points are able to hold the weight. I used some 300 pound threaded eyes from ace Harare and bent two on a 500 mile trip. Both straps came off and the only thing holding up my bike was a condor wheel chock. No damage and my bike was about the same weight as the F6B.

You got me on this one

It appears that you folks have gotten the best of me, ha ha. I have scratched the project and will haul her in a trailer.. I agree with everyone's comments, although i am sure it can be done I have the ability to use a trailer so that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any pics of where and or how you tie down the front end? I believe its under the fairing on the bars right? Just strap it in there.. Thank you.. PS: You can probably tell I have NEVER hauled it before with the simple questions.. Joe

Soft Ties

Or tie down extensions over top of the triple tree bracket.
    http://www.compacc.com/p/ancra-tie-down-extensions

That works.. Thank you so much, I understand now.. PERFECT... Joe

Wheel Chock

Harbor Freight sells a good wheel chock at a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    It appears that you folks have gotten the best of me, ha ha. I have scratched the project and will haul her in a trailer.. I agree with everyone's comments, although i am sure it can be done I have the ability to use a trailer so that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any pics of where and or how you tie down the front end? I believe its under the fairing on the bars right? Just strap it in there.. Thank you.. PS: You can probably tell I have NEVER hauled it before with the simple questions.. Joe
    NO NO.... Don't quit now, we all want to see the end result when you springboard your bike into the truck.

Factory Shipping Tiedown Pic

Factory shipping tiedown method.