My not so good tomtom rider 400 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My not so good tomtom rider 400

My little Garmin 205

I have had for many years and update it every year and have had it in pouring down rain on a full days ride and it works as good today as it did the year when I bought it. My sons run Garmins and my Sister and Brother in law both have Garmins and never a problem. I wouldn't every buy anything else. They are so worth the money.

update on not so weather proof tomtom rider 400

I received another email stating they will replace the unit. I had to give them a copy of my purchase invoice and home address. I'm betting I will have to ship out the old one before they send the new one.
    No to the refund because I'm past 30 days but hey at least they will send me a new one. Let's hope it performs better in the rain this time.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    I received another email stating they will replace the unit. I had to give them a copy of my purchase invoice and home address. I'm betting I will have to ship out the old one before they send the new one.
    No to the refund because I'm past 30 days but hey at least they will send me a new one. Let's hope it performs better in the rain this time.
    May wanna carry a sandwich baggie with you. Usually anything man made will eventually break, wear out, or go tits up.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yep sandwiche bag it is, I'll throw it in the cubby with the lighter,guntape and mag light...oh and yes a few glow sticks not to mark the ORV this time.
    Ride safe

update TomTom will be replaced

Just shipped my tomtom rider 400 back to be replaced and should have the new one in 7-10 days. Here are some interesting facts and my lsn's learned.

.the warranty first 30 days you can get your money back
    . 1st 6 months they will replace it and pay for shipping
    .after 6 months they will replace it but you must pay for shipping...that's me
    So your basically covered up to 1 year with these few minor details.

So it cost me $32.00 to ship only because they require you to ship it by a method so it can be tracked, UPS or Fed EX. I was told not to send it via the post office because they don't deliver to them.

So after sending it I also sent a copy of my 32.00 bill asking if they would reimburse me since it was their policy that I ship it that way. The TomTom representative replied stating their warranty policy didn't allow to reimburse my money but here is a $10.00 tomtom voucher.
    So I politely declined the $10.00 voucher and said
    It cost me almost 6 hundred dollars for this product and after the 2nd day of a 3 week bike trip it failed after being rained on for the first time. I had to wait until I got back home 2 weeks later to send it back and then I had to pay 32.00 to have it shipped and your response to me is here is a ten dollar voucher for more tomtom products. Thanks but no thanks I will never by anything tomtom again. I will also be sure to pass on my experience to other customers.

I'm sure my next response from them will be no different but at least I can say I tried.

Lloyd

Just shipped my tomtom rider 400 back to be replaced and should have the new one in 7-10 days. Here are some interesting facts and my lsn's learned.

.the warranty first 30 days you can get your money back
    . 1st 6 months they will replace it and pay for shipping
    .after 6 months they will replace it but you must pay for shipping...that's me
    So your basically covered up to 1 year with these few minor details.

So it cost me $32.00 to ship only because they require you to ship it by a method so it can be tracked, UPS or Fed EX. I was told not to send it via the post office because they don't deliver to them.

So after sending it I also sent a copy of my 32.00 bill asking if they would reimburse me since it was their policy that I ship it that way. The TomTom representative replied stating their warranty policy didn't allow to reimburse my money but here is a $10.00 tomtom voucher.
    So I politely declined the $10.00 voucher and said
    It cost me almost 6 hundred dollars for this product and after the 2nd day of a 3 week bike trip it failed after being rained on for the first time. I had to wait until I got back home 2 weeks later to send it back and then I had to pay 32.00 to have it shipped and your response to me is here is a ten dollar voucher for more tomtom products. Thanks but no thanks I will never by anything tomtom again. I will also be sure to pass on my experience to other customers.

I'm sure my next response from them will be no different but at least I can say I tried.

Lloyd
    Try to get in touch with Tom-Tom corporate... if you feel so inclined to continue to pursue it. They may very well reverse the shipping charge after hearing from you.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I would like to give my experience with both of these companies. I find my Tom Tom units much better, brighter display, acturite, and much better at finding rural address than my Garmin unit. I speak of the automotive models only as I have not owned either of the moto only units. I use my GPS units almost everyday since retiring I work part time for my local moto dealer picking up and delivering new and service units. In addition I run them on my F6B several thousand miles each year. Every time I even think about buying the moto GPS units I can't pull the trigger because of the crazy price these units bring. My wife has even picked up 3 of these Tomtom units at the local thrift stores for as little as $2.99 that works 100% and one never out of the box . Better yet they snapped right into my Ram mount holder soooooooo I think I am set for a long time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

@lloymoore1

Thanks for keeping us posted on your experience. I've said here before that warranties are designed only to protect the manufacturer. They are never designed to benefit the consumer as you're finding out. Consumers [yes, even Honda customers] need to keep that in mind when they make a purchase.

My 2cents..As for TomTom, everyone has an opinion on what works, or doesn't work better. I've used both and my money is always on Garmin as the better overall unit. I've been using a first generation Zumo 660 on a keyed switch with quick release mount for the last 5 years. A bit slower since the last map upgrade, but watertight, and the replaceable battery is still good as new.

There are days when I really miss my tank bag and map pouch though. I mean that literally, I can't find the old bag. I had lots of old trips memorabilia in it including some of my old mapped out routes.

New replacement TomTom arrived today

Well my tomtom arrived today via Fed Ex and to my surprise it was a brand new one complete in the the box with all the parts. It was a surprise considering they only asked that I ship only the GPS back with no other parts. So I now have all the extra cables,mounts etc.
    Lets hope this stays working.
    The other good thing is all I had to do to get back all my saved places and routes was to log back on to my drive tomtom from my new GPS..sweet.

Well my tomtom arrived today via Fed Ex and to my surprise it was a brand new one complete in the the box with all the parts. It was a surprise considering they only asked that I ship only the GPS back with no other parts. So I now have all the extra cables,mounts etc.
    Lets hope this stays working.
    The other good thing is all I had to do to get back all my saved places and routes was to log back on to my drive tomtom from my new GPS..sweet.
    ...and get a plastic sandwich baggie

A sandwich baggie will rock your world

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537